Arcade1up Star Wars pinball

trash80

Dec 14, 2018
I haven’t had time to watch all the videos, but isn’t the backglass static artwork to match the sides of the cabinet or is there actually a backglass monitor?

Original post was about the Multipin cabinet, not the Arcade1Up cabinet. The Arcade1Up cabinet has a backlit static image.

trash80

Dec 14, 2018
I'm a little suprised they haven't released any official press for this yet. CES has been going on for a few days now, you'd think they'd want to promote it.

It isn't an "official" product just yet. The builds at the show are proof of concept prototypes and there are quite a few things that need to be worked out still before a real announcement is made. What we do know is the Star Wars cabinet is slated for a 3rd Quarter release and will come with 10 Star Wars tables (some not yet released?), but other than that, not much else.

vfpcoder

Jul 9, 2012
It isn't an "official" product just yet. The builds at the show are proof of concept prototypes and there are quite a few things that need to be worked out still before a real announcement is made. What we do know is the Star Wars cabinet is slated for a 3rd Quarter release and will come with 10 Star Wars tables (some not yet released?), but other than that, not much else.

We also know that the “Attack From Mars” cabinet will include 10 Zen Studios Williams/Bally table recreations; and is also scheduled to be released in the 3rd QTR:

Last edited:

Scared Stiff

May 18, 2019
Doubtful, this is an Arcade1Up product, which has wireless for highscores and possibly tournaments with other Arcade1Up cabinet owners. This is their model on all their other products, they make money from hardware, not software downloads, so they want you buy all of the different cabinets.

That’s not practicle for most people as we don’t have unlimited room for unlimited video game cabinets and pinball machines. Or unlimited money to buy them all. I wish that wasn’t the case, but it sadly is.

Cloda

Oct 15, 2018
Some interesting thoughts from Gary Stern on digital vs real pinball. He firstly talked about their digital partner Farsight without even the slightest indication that anything is going to change. He says there is certainly a place for it but everything is programmed in digital pinball i.e. not real random ball physics / playfield reaction etc., and that you will never be able to recreate the physic feeling of the ball and bat game that it is... that "the ball is wild!" and as George Gomez calls it "The randomiser".

I thought Zen did a good job in their Classic Arcade implementation of the randomized aspect of the game as it is a huge departure from their steady-as-a-rock Zen physics ball movement and VPX has also upped the game over the years. I hope Zen blew Gary Sterns mind that only knew Farsight's suction ramps etc. Let's hope Zen remembers that key aspect as they move forward with their Classic Arcade physics implementation as it became much more predictable again since Universal Monsters.

trash80

Dec 14, 2018
We also know that the “Attack From Mars” cabinet will include 10 Zen Studios Williams/Bally table recreations; and is also scheduled to be released in the 3rd QTR:

Hope so, but the only one scheduled for release so far is the Star Wars cabinet. And in the video you posted, while they are demonstrating the Attack from Mars cabinet, only speaks to the Star Wars release date and number of tables.

Narc0lep5y

Feb 21, 2015
As long as there are camera/cabinet miode changes that come in when or before 1up Star Wars launches I'm happy. Happy to let Zen milk Star Wars for as long as they can if it funds more Bally Williams stuff.

Scared Stiff

May 18, 2019
Some interesting thoughts from Gary Stern on digital vs real pinball. He firstly talked about their digital partner Farsight without even the slightest indication that anything is going to change.

Hasn’t it changed already? The Stern app went dormant first, and now they aren’t even releasing tables under the TPA app. Why they would still want to work with them after all that is a mystery to me. They need to go with Zen. Farsight has shown they aren’t up to the task for whatever reason.

Narc0lep5y

Feb 21, 2015
Hasn’t it changed already? The Stern app went dormant first, and now they aren’t even releasing tables under the TPA app. Why they would still want to work with them after all that is a mystery to me. They need to go with Zen. Farsight has shown they aren’t up to the task for whatever reason.

Hadn't really thought of it before, but if I was Gary Stern, and really didn't want my tables available digitally, signing with the company who can't afford the license fees to make any new ones is a pretty effective catch and kill strategy.

wilbers

Aug 8, 2018
Hadn't really thought of it before, but if I was Gary Stern, and really didn't want my tables available digitally, signing with the company who can't afford the license fees to make any new ones is a pretty effective catch and kill strategy.

That would be sneaky (though doesn't automatically mean its not true). From Stern's point-of-view isn't the aim of digital pinball (for current and relatively recently released games) to increase the market for physical games, either by selling more to individuals or getting more people to play them so more are bought by operators.

Scared Stiff

May 18, 2019

That makes no sense to me. Signing with no company at all is an even better strategy if someone didn’t want their tables available digitally.

vfpcoder

Jul 9, 2012
It’s well known that Stern’s license with Farsight indicates that there can be no direct cabinet support for their tables. However, they do allow for VR versions of their tables. (Go Figure!)

Bottom Line: We won’t be seeing a Toyshock iteration of the Stern 2009 Star Trek table anytime soon! (Which is a pity!)

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
Yep, some really good info.

Star Wars will only be 10 tables, there’s currently 19 in the collection. Sounds like we will be getting a Rise of Skywalker table that eventually will allow for an even split if 10 between two cabs! And mystery pinball pack announced in 90 days? Very interesting.

Also some nice details about licensing in there.

strells

Oct 7, 2014
Does pink sweatshirt guy work for Arcade1UP? If so, I can't believe he would be playing pinball like that. Even my 8-year-old doesn't push both flippers simultaneously for every shot.

Makes me cringe just watching it!

ZREXMike2

Oct 22, 2018
cool. i initially thought, well, 3/4 means it won't be tall enough for adults, but the video shows no problems as far as that. while not something i can afford right now, it will be cool to get one sometime.

Kolchak357

Senior Pigeon
May 31, 2012
The Star Wars arcade 1up looks great. You really need that controller to make that game feel right. Wouldn’t mind getting one if the price comes down a bit.

vfpcoder

Jul 9, 2012
cool. i initially thought, well, 3/4 means it won't be tall enough for adults, but the video shows no problems as far as that. while not something i can afford right now, it will be cool to get one sometime.

I’m preordering the “Attack From Mars” cab as soon as it’s available — even though I own a VPCabs Vertigo with the same Zen FX3 tables installed on it. I just really like the look of the (space saving) cabinet. And the promised “haptic feedback” combined with the accelerometer sounds intriguing. I also expect Zen to beef up the physics on the included tables so they work like “Creature” and “Monster Bash”.

BTW, I will, of course, be purchasing this as an adjunct to my Vertigo. The Vertigo runs *everything* — including VPX tables and the Arcooda-enhanced cabinet versions of the FarSight tables. And it has a kick-ass audio system. It’s just too versatile for words!

jrolson

Feb 28, 2012
I would be very surprised if it was PC but doubt it at the $500 price point... (maybe with some low end laptop parts)

More than likely it will run Android just like the new Sharpin cab coming out.. in which case we would be playing the mobile version of Zen which would be a pass for me... :(

pinfan7

Banned
May 19, 2019
not sure about it being so cheap, what are the hardware specs? I've read somewhere the playfield display is only 24", that's too little. Also with that price tag we are definitely speaking about a TN panel I suppose... What's the GPU, can it handle 60fps and all the stuff like 8xAA & AF? I would prefer to give 1000 gold and have an IPS 32" panel with guaranteed 60fps instead.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.