FX3 backglass images

wilbers

Aug 8, 2018
Chris has been very busy making backglasses for all current tables in FX3. The 1920x1080 ones are in main folder at :

https://www.blahcadepinball.com/backglass.html

1280x1024 ones in sub-folder which are very slightly stretched but don't have black side bars, and I've left 4:3 that haven't been stretched just in case they are of use to someone.

If you want to use them on PC you need to get a cabinet code from Zen first (doesn't take long to receive it). Copy the images into main installation folder for FX3 (usually ..ProgramFiles(x86)->Steam->SteamApps->common->Pinball FX3->data->steam). Settings I use for 1920x1080 main monitor and 1280x1024 secondary monitor are :

Dot matrix repositioning : On
Dot matrix horizontal position : -1000
Dot matrix vertical position : 778
Dot matrix horizontal size: 720
Dot matrix vertical size : 180
Backglass repositioning : On
Backglass horizontal position : -1280
Backglass vertical position : 0
Backglass horizontal size: 1280
Backglass vertical size : 1024
Orientation of main monitor can be changed depending if its in landscape or portrait

For other screen sizes it should be easy to set the backglass settings accordingly. Dot matrix horizontal position should be [-secondary monitor horizontal size +(secondary monitor horizontal size - Dot matrix horizontal size)/2]. Dot matrix vertical size should be quarter of dot matrix horizontal size (4:1 ratio).

Last edited:

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
So my numbers are a bit different, but that's because I'm playing in portrait and the resolution of my monitor is 2560x1440 on the primary, and 1920x1080 on the secondary.

Orientation : 270
Dot matrix repositioning : On
Dot matrix horizontal position : 3245
Dot matrix vertical position : 850
Dot matrix horizontal size: 585
Dot matrix vertical size : 153
Backglass repositioning : On
Backglass horizontal position : 2560
Backglass vertical position : 0
Backglass horizontal size: 1964
Backglass vertical size : 1080

dmil666

May 19, 2018
Very Cool! I had gathered and made backglass images myself, but they were all different in relation to where the DMD window was or even if there was a DMD window, among other things. With these new, standardized images, everything lines up on all of the tables. Soooo much nicer.

Thanks for your hard work wilbers, and I know how much work it was, as I considered doing it myself but bailed on it. My image manipulation fu is poor....

My setup is a 1920x1080 main monitor in portrait mode with a 2560x1440 secondary. I'll post my numbers if anyone needs them.

wilbers

Aug 8, 2018
Thanks for your hard work wilbers, and I know how much work it was, as I considered doing it myself but bailed on it. My image manipulation fu is poor....

My setup is a 1920x1080 main monitor in portrait mode with a 2560x1440 secondary. I'll post my numbers if anyone needs them.

Chris did nearly all of it, I just converted his 1920x1080 images to 1280x1024 ones and made the general one (the one that shows when you haven't selected a table).

dmil666

May 19, 2018
Chris did nearly all of it, I just converted his 1920x1080 images to 1280x1024 ones and made the general one (the one that shows when you haven't selected a table).

Well, then thank you Chris for your hard work too. My reading skills need some work....

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
I just added images for the 5 tables in FX2 that didn't make it over to FX3...

Football (Super League)
SouthPark1
SouthPark2
SplosionMan
PlantsVsZombies

I also added in the generic pinballfx3 image for when a table hasn't been selected yet.
All are now in the folder and available for download. Wilbers says he'll have the other aspect options up soon.

wilbers

Aug 8, 2018
I've just put the 1280x1024 version up. There are now 2 options for the background when a table isn't selected - download the one you prefer, and if its the one with a "b" on the end rename it from pinballfx3b to pinballfx3 and put it in the same folder as all the others.

Crazy Newt

Dec 2, 2012
I never thought my cabinet mode was fully functioning or that maybe it would only work with a second monitor. I have a 32" 2K 144Hz g-sync monitor that rotates into portrait mode and tilts back about 30°. I always wanted to move the DMD off the main screen onto a second monitor. I found a little 10.1" IPS 1920x1080 LED monitor that was relative inexpensive and had a bunch of positive reviews from Raspberry Pi users.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B076GZVCP2

This monitor is VESA mountable and I picked up a 39" adjustable position mount that I can use with this new monitor. I plan on mounting the little monitor on the stand and when I rotate my bigger 32" monitor into portrait mode for pinball games, I can position this monitor to be used solely as a DMD just above the big monitor.

Using the cabinet mode is a pain. I had no idea why noting moved. I made sure to enable the reposition for both backbox and dot matrix. It took another frustrating few minutes to realize that neither the controller or mouse would change the values, but I had to place the focus on the text box and then enter the values. Still, even after all that, I simply could not get any part of the DMD to appear on the second monitor.

Google fu eventually found a comment about swapping primary monitors and lo and behold it worked. I could now play the game on the big screen in portrait mode, and see the DMD in the little monitor. This would have been great, except the my frames per second dropped to the 60 Hz to match the little monitor instead of my frames limited g-sync at a rock steady 141 FPS with my RTX 2080 Super at 2550x1440p.

Refusing to give up, I went back to searching and finally stumbled upon using negative values to move the DMD position.

Eureka!

Goodness, what a pain in the rear.

I am expecting my new monitor stand/mount to arrive tomorrow. But for now, I was able to get everything working and will only need to figure out the coordinates for the new DMD position.

view

Last edited:

wilbers

Aug 8, 2018
Glad to hear you've worked it all out. One thing you should be aware of is that Zen's physics are tuned to 60fps - some tables it makes much more of a difference than others so very much a personal choice of going with 60fps or a high refresh rate.

AcadDude

Jul 8, 2018
I never thought my cabinet mode was fully functioning or that maybe it would only work with a second monitor. I have a 32" 2K 144Hz g-sync monitor that rotates into portrait mode and tilts back about 30°. I always wanted to move the DMD off the main screen onto a second monitor. I found a little 10.1" IPS 1920x1080 LED monitor that was relative inexpensive and had a bunch of positive reviews from Raspberry Pi users.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B076GZVCP2

This monitor is VESA mountable and I picked up a 39" adjustable position mount that I can use with this new monitor. I plan on mounting the little monitor on the stand and when I rotate my bigger 32" monitor into portrait mode for pinball games, I can position this monitor to be used solely as a DMD just above the big monitor.

Using the cabinet mode is a pain. I had no idea why noting moved. I made sure to enable the reposition for both backbox and dot matrix. It took another frustrating few minutes to realize that neither the controller or mouse would change the values, but I had to place the focus on the text box and then enter the values. Still, even after all that, I simply could not get any part of the DMD to appear on the second monitor.

Google fu eventually found a comment about swapping primary monitors and lo and behold it worked. I could now play the game on the big screen in portrait mode, and see the DMD in the little monitor. This would have been great, except the my frames per second dropped to the 60 Hz to match the little monitor instead of my frames limited g-sync at a rock steady 141 FPS with my RTX 2080 Super at 2550x1440p.

Refusing to give up, I went back to searching and finally stumbled upon using negative values to move the DMD position.

Eureka!

Goodness, what a pain in the rear.

I am expecting my new monitor stand/mount to arrive tomorrow. But for now, I was able to get everything working and will only need to figure out the coordinates for the new DMD position.

view

Welcome to the insanity of cabinet mode! Where up is negative Y if DMD is above in windows configuration. Then the backglass is even further negative.

Crazy Newt

Dec 2, 2012
Glad to hear you've worked it all out. One thing you should be aware of is that Zen's physics are tuned to 60fps - some tables it makes much more of a difference than others so very much a personal choice of going with 60fps or a high refresh rate.

I knew that was the case with the Pinball Arcade, and that was very obvious.

I have a G-Sync monitor and I default everything in full screen or windowed mode to sync to my monitor's refresh rate, while also limiting the maximum frame rate by 3 frames to 141 FPS to account for any potential lag. Only for Pinball games, I also use the Ultra setting for Low Latency Mode. I don't have any apparent queued frames or lag with the controls, but this would not account for any physics that could be impacted.

I'll have to see if I can limit the frames to 60 FPS and see how the games look and feel.

Thanks for the tip!

Crazy Newt

Dec 2, 2012
Tried different options to restrict or limit the FPS to 60Hz and could not seem to make it look acceptable visually. It was as if ball trails were on when it wasn't, especially when the ball was moving quickly. I'll have to live with any physics quirks, but I can't drop the near perfect g-sync visuals.

The backglass for each table is identical, but the DMD position and size can be different from one table to the next. Is there any way to save the settings for each table or is this something that has to be saved externally and manually entered every time I change tables?

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1IVXKnaQbVpne3lPSMbHJqRIYyFOuER8N/view?usp=sharing

frasic

Aug 23, 2021
I’m having trouble displaying my back glass. I get the dmd only.L.

Working off of my atGames pinball. Playfield works great.

I get the root directory displayed in the left corner . All of the images have been loaded already on the pinballfx 3 appropriate directory. Anyone have an idea?

Thanks!

Frasic

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pete

Jul 16, 2012
im tempted to get a 2550x1440p monitor for my playfield. but im worried any gains on resolution would be lost to having allot of extra side walls showing, or I'd have to stretch everything too fat. Even at 16:9 things like circular lights seem a bit too oval at times. Some people do a pretty decent job on their view setting on vpx tables, but sometimes times i have to go in and mess with it to get it more to my liking. its very rare that people have an x and y scale setting that are even equal to each other, seems we all just fudge it in an attempt to get it close to proper scale while balancing it with filling the screen. If only they had slightly wider monitors.

wilbers

Aug 8, 2018
I’m having trouble displaying my back glass. I get the dmd only.L.

Working off of my atGames pinball. Playfield works great.

I get the root directory displayed in the left corner . All of the images have been loaded already on the pinballfx 3 appropriate directory. Anyone have an idea?

Thanks!

Frasic

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Give the following settings a try and see if they work :

Orientation: 270

Dot matrix horizontal position: 2250

Dot matrix vertical position: 725

Dot matrix horizontal size: 1260

Dot matrix vertical size: 315

Backglass repositioning: On

Backglass horizontal position: 1920

Backglass vertical position: 0

Backglass horizontal size: 1920

Backglass vertical size: 1080

Narc0lep5y

Feb 21, 2015
im tempted to get a 2550x1440p monitor for my playfield. but im worried any gains on resolution would be lost to having allot of extra side walls showing, or I'd have to stretch everything too fat. Even at 16:9 things like circular lights seem a bit too oval at times. Some people do a pretty decent job on their view setting on vpx tables, but sometimes times i have to go in and mess with it to get it more to my liking. its very rare that people have an x and y scale setting that are even equal to each other, seems we all just fudge it in an attempt to get it close to proper scale while balancing it with filling the screen. If only they had slightly wider monitors.

I have a 2560 x 1440 monitor for my gaming PC. I rotated the monitor to portrait and turned on cabinet mode and switched between 1080p 1920x1200 and 2560x1440 and took screenshots of all 3 in TOTAN in both camera views 1 and 8.

2560 x 1440 and 1920 x 1080 are both 16:9 ratios and you can see that those are very similar in the screenshots. 1920 x 1200 with the 16:10 ratio does have some extra space though and that you can see in the images.

https://steamcommunity.com/id/narc0lep5y/screenshots/

Members online

Members online