Am I the only one who didn't buy a PS4?

PATINMICH

Nov 9, 2012
I love pinball, and the Pinball Arcade for PS3. I bought all the tables before they pulled the ones they did. I'm happy with what I got. Am I the only one holding out?

I don't get on it often, maybe 3 or 4 times a year. Loved the tournaments. Miss them, but not enough to go PS4, not much of a gamer. Turned it on the other day and there were a few tables I bought up in those last days and discovered that I hadn't played Twilight Zone yet, lol. So in the middle of one of the games my PS3 goes black and won't fire back up. This is how stubborn I am, I googled 'PS3 repair near me' after googling why PS3's die like that. Decided it was more than I wanted to deal with. Dropped it off ten minutes away and 2 days later it's back home. $80. (thermal paste, reflow) With this Coronavirus thing going on I'm gonna probably start messing with it again and going after those goals I hadn't reached yet.

Citizen

Oct 5, 2017
Most of the console players around here who had it on PS3 also got it on PS4, yeah. Sound looping glitch aside, it's a better overall experience. That being said, if you rarely play TPA, aren't much of a gamer, and already own the tables you wanted on PS3, you're probably better off just getting your PS3 fixed or picking up a used one. Especially since over half the tables aren't available to purchase anymore, it's a bit late to pick up TPA on PS4, unless you're fine with just having the Stern and Gottlieb tables. Because unfortunately the PS4 version wasn't crossbuy with the PS3/Vita version, so owning them on PS3 won't get you any Williams/Bally favorites you may have on PS4.

ZREXMike2

Oct 22, 2018
yep, same as on 360, the tables you had when the cataclysm happened were the tables you had, no more Williams/Bally.

Byte

Nov 11, 2012
I have the PS3 in another room and actually fired it up for a game the other day. But yeah, the PS4 is the go-to machine for now.

Mar 9, 2012
I love pinball, and the Pinball Arcade for PS3. I bought all the tables before they pulled the ones they did. I'm happy with what I got. Am I the only one holding out?

I don't get on it often, maybe 3 or 4 times a year. Loved the tournaments. Miss them, but not enough to go PS4, not much of a gamer. Turned it on the other day and there were a few tables I bought up in those last days and discovered that I hadn't played Twilight Zone yet, lol. So in the middle of one of the games my PS3 goes black and won't fire back up. This is how stubborn I am, I googled 'PS3 repair near me' after googling why PS3's die like that. Decided it was more than I wanted to deal with. Dropped it off ten minutes away and 2 days later it's back home. $80. (thermal paste, reflow) With this Coronavirus thing going on I'm gonna probably start messing with it again and going after those goals I hadn't reached yet.

Make sure you change your password for your main account as the shop you had it fixed at may have that info (not hard to get).

Hopefully the reflow fix lasts..

Pete

Jul 16, 2012
i was an xbox only type guy in the past, i had almost skipped this gen and stuck with my pc... they flipped me when Spider-Man came out... i love spider-man! had to run out and get a ps4 pro for that so i could experience it on my 4k tv (one of the few games that runs at 4k). also knowing red dead 2 was on the way sealed the deal to grab a console. now ive only had the thing a year and a half and everyones talking about the 5 coming soon lol

wilbers

Aug 8, 2018
Massive advantage of PC's is that you don't lose access to previous games when you upgrade - part of my desktop PC dates back to 2011 - just that my 2500K is overclocked a bit now, but still does what I need it to.

trash80

Dec 14, 2018
Massive advantage of PC's is that you don't lose access to previous games when you upgrade - part of my desktop PC dates back to 2011 - just that my 2500K is overclocked a bit now, but still does what I need it to.

You don't lose access to any of your games purchased through the Playstation or Xbox stores (Nintendo can vary). Plus, both future PS and Xbox systems will be "backwards compatible" to previous gens for the foreseeable future. With regard to PC games, I typically purchase everything via Steam (over 5000 games), but there are quite a few old games I own, that while I still do have access to them, no longer work with Win10 and/or the most recent Nvidia drivers. And sadly, a number of these games are no longer even sold or have any sort of dev or publisher that still exists. I have actually started to recently feel that one of the console ecosystems has better future proof longevity than the PC, but since the games I prefer are typically PC only, I guess it doesn't really matter to me one way or the other.

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
My choice to switch to PC gaming for pinball was entirely due to what I saw coming during the 2nd season of TPA. After purchasing all of season 1 as it came out (and us not even knowing of "seasons" at the time") on the PS3, I bought the season pass for year 2. What I hated was that real quickly we fell behind by at least a month compared to mobile. My memory is fuzzy as to when TPA came to Steam via the Greenlight program, but once it did it was day and date with mobile. Also during that 2nd year, the PS4 was rapidly approaching. As soon as it became evident we'd have to repurchase tables to play on the PS4, I made the choice to not buy the season 3 pass when offered on the PS3 and instead shift over to Steam and PC since there would be no "generation" shifting there. Best decision ever.

In hindsight, things got so much worse for those that stuck it out on console. The monthly DLC releases came later and later, until the PS3 was abandoned completely. We won't even talk about what happened to our Xbox friends. Zen made complete fools out of FarSight by not charging to transfer most tables from PFX2 to FX3. Meanwhile over on the PC front, I picked up something like 40+ Zen tables through Humble Bundle and Steam sales for a grand total of $24. I repurchased TPA seasons 1 and 2 on sale for 50% off, and got the DX11 versions in the process, where on the PS4 people were having to pay full price.

I started buying more and more on Steam, only buying exclusives on PS4. Yeah, my PS4 is basically for Uncharted, Last of Us, and other Sony exclusives. Tomb Raider was the first of those I skipped a console purchase of, and 2 games later with full DLC and Steam sales of 81% off, I'm more than happy with my choice there too. I have run into issues with trying to play GTA 3 or Vice City on PC, as you have to jump through a lot of patches and hoops to make it run properly. I tried booting up my PS2 instead, only to find it doesn't wanna read discs anymore. And that's the thing with backwards compatibility, it's not like the PS5 is gonna read your disc. It's backwards for downloadable games from the PlayStation Store. Me being a physical media guy, that doesn't help. And let's face it, Pinball Arcade is not coming to PS5. Zen will absolutely be coming to it, as Mel said in our last podcast. And knowing Zen, they once again won't charge to transfer your tables over from one system to the next, which is a total non issue too for those of us on Steam.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.