What Are Your Guesses For Zen's Next 10 Years?

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
I'm assuming everyone read this last week when Zen posted it to Twitter and Facebook...

A pinball message from our COO (Mel Kirk)

Hi everyone, I know this has been a very slow year for pinball releases -- oddly, the slowest in our 13-year pinball development history.

Behind the scenes, we're working on large-scale pinball projects that will set the stage for the next 10 years ahead of us. There are multiple projects in simultaneous development, and I am confident to say that they are our greatest and most ambitious projects yet.And here's some good news: We're getting ready to announce new tables in mid-July! I also expect that we will make other announcements in 2020 so that you'll all know what to expect in 2021.All in all, the gaming industry is going through big transitions -- services and platforms are shifting, and we're working hard to position digital pinball correctly. Thanks for your patience and for staying with Zen over the course of this 13-year pinball journey.

Mel

So where do you all see this going? I like that they are actively planning for an entire decade, not living by the seat of their pants. And if they are planning in such a manner, it's more than just securing a new license or two. I think the obvious things for the immediate future are:

- Planning release for PS5 and new Xbox
- More Arcade 1Up Pinball cabs
- Expansion into other markets, mainly Asia (as mentioned in Podcast 196)
- Updating of physics for all tables

Inside the next 2 or 3 years, I imagine:
- Pinball FX4
- Stern and Capcom pinball license
- Head to head online play
- More VR

I have no idea what they might be thinking for 2025-2030. It's a bit insane to think that far ahead about any game developer unless they are doing some AAA title. So what do you all think? Looking back on where Zen was at the start 13 years ago, where can we extrapolate them being in 10?

yespage

Oct 31, 2015
The cabs seem to be a thing as components are cheaper and cheaper these days to make it possible to provide a viable digital pinball cab solution. Everything seems to be heading towards "subscriptions" and live streaming. I wonder how well pinball can handle live streaming. If the latency can be worked out, the cost of providing a cab drops as it becomes more of a roku than a computer. Then you pay monthly for the tables, or some low fee for the table outright and a higher fee for the table outright and improvements down the road.

AcadDude

Jul 8, 2018
Just keep doing what you do Zen Studios. Your digital pinball offerings so far are pretty sweet. I can't imagine what we will have in 10 years. I do know it will be awesome!

The loafer

Oct 28, 2012
I wouldn't say "no" to a Jersey Jack Pinball license, or even Spooky. Even with it's non-modern limited ruleset, Total Nuclear Annihilation is one of the best tables of the last 10 years (blessed be the VPX PUP version!)

Personally, I hope they get away from how they've done free2play with the mobile versions. I just want to freakin' play the table without limitations on my ipad. It's ok to have a free2play, no problem at all, but then have another version for those saps like me who are willing to pay a premium for that table. Make it $10 per table, I don't care just give me a chance to play it all the time without limitations please.

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
I wouldn't say "no" to a Jersey Jack Pinball license, or even Spooky. Even with it's non-modern limited ruleset, Total Nuclear Annihilation is one of the best tables of the last 10 years (blessed be the VPX PUP version!)

Personally, I hope they get away from how they've done free2play with the mobile versions. I just want to freakin' play the table without limitations on my ipad. It's ok to have a free2play, no problem at all, but then have another version for those saps like me who are willing to pay a premium for that table. Make it $10 per table, I don't care just give me a chance to play it all the time without limitations please.

I have a sneaky suspicion it'll be making its way to the Apple Play service.

Chasnotchaz

Jun 16, 2019
I think the major players in real pinball (Stern, JJP, Spooky, etc.. ) should do what they can to partner with Zen for digital tables. For those companies, it would be a great way to get players playing their 'real' games. I was never a pinball player until I got into the Zen tables years ago. That made me want to check out the real thing. Now I practice on the Zen Bally/Williams tables and then go out and try it on the real tables. I t seems like such an untapped market for these companies to get more people playing.

jaredmorgs

Staff member
May 8, 2012
I think Zen may be investing quite hard in the redemption and amusement industry sectors in the next decade.

I'd see the introduction of pinball redemption systems linked together centrally as a strong possibility.

Could Zen Studios become the next Raw Thrills type offering and pair their properties and new capabilities with physical hardware manufacture?

Mel hinted at new partners and opportunities in the tweet, and in our interview mentioned that leaderboards (and the inference from that on competitive play) are "next level" features of physical tables.

PinJimmy

Jun 27, 2012
I am curious what pinball fx4 will be like.
I hope they are not going the same route as the mobile version cause that would suck. Collecting parts and all that.

Its time to release some zen originals tables as well. I think they did a good job with the Williams tables but in the end the zen tables are more fun to play. Just dont over do it with the fantasy setting like the zeus table. Its still needs to look like a pinball table.

And bring back the street fighter 2 table thats what started my pinball journey on pinball fx1.

in the game they will probably upgrade the lighting of de game engine. It could be improved a lot. Lot of zen originals will benefit from it and ofcourse the williams tables aswell.

Multiplayer will be improved upon. They probably took some lessons from zaccaria pinball.

And ofcourse there vr tables on the way. Its inevitable.

10 years from now they probably have 350 tables and introduce a subscription based model where you can play all tables for a monthly fee.

Maybe around that time we might get The Indiana Jones table. Cant wait.

Last edited:

wolfson

May 24, 2013
i`m getting the 2 new consoles straight away , so , if there is a FX4 that`ll do me , and anything else on top of that , is a giant bonus for me .:cool:

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
i`m getting the 2 new consoles straight away , so , if there is a FX4 that`ll do me , and anything else on top of that , is a giant bonus for me .:cool:

Out of curiousity, if there was a new FX4 for both consoles, would you be installing it on both too? And then buying new tables for both as they come out? Or will one be the pinball console and the other for everything else?

HighFive

Jun 9, 2019
Guessing saying something will put them good for the next 10 years mean for me they signed a partnership with Stern.

wolfson

May 24, 2013
Out of curiousity, if there was a new FX4 for both consoles, would you be installing it on both too? And then buying new tables for both as they come out? Or will one be the pinball console and the other for everything else?
absolutely shutyertrap , i have at the moment every table of FX3 on 3 platforms , i don`t things by half .:cool:

wilbers

Aug 8, 2018
absolutely shutyertrap , i have at the moment every table of FX3 on 3 platforms , i don`t things by half .:cool:

I suppose you have a reason for doing that, but I can't see what it is - why not pick a platform (PC is the right choice for most) and have all the tables just for that?

wolfson

May 24, 2013
wilbers , i love racing games and pinball . my 2 fave racing games are Gran Turismo and Forza Horizon , one on PS4 and the other on XBOX , i`m lazy , if i`m playing on whichever platform , i can play pinball on that platform without having to switch to the other platform . as for my laptop , i look after my Dad here in Brisbane , when i go to my place at Tweed Heads i take my laptop and play down there . and if anything happens to any platform , i don`t worry , i have the other platforms . apart from my walking i don`t go out much because of my Dad , so i spend all my money on my Grandkids and my games . :cool:

DA5ID

Aug 27, 2014
I am hoping for more PSVR pinball - Star Wars, Marvel, and of course Williams. with the pandemic going to my local barcade and playing real machines is not an option - being able to play in VR would be a safe substitute. (fortunately I am sheltering in place with my stern Star Wars premium)

jaredmorgs

Staff member
May 8, 2012
wilbers , i love racing games and pinball . my 2 fave racing games are Gran Turismo and Forza Horizon , one on PS4 and the other on XBOX , i`m lazy , if i`m playing on whichever platform , i can play pinball on that platform without having to switch to the other platform . as for my laptop , i look after my Dad here in Brisbane , when i go to my place at Tweed Heads i take my laptop and play down there . and if anything happens to any platform , i don`t worry , i have the other platforms . apart from my walking i don`t go out much because of my Dad , so i spend all my money on my Grandkids and my games . :cool:
Are you still enjoying the virtual Pinball cabinet?

wolfson

May 24, 2013
yep , Jared , i wish i waited a couple of years , would`ve got all the bells and whistles . i like the Arcade 1up , that looks good and cheap price , if it plays well it`ll be a big hit . for under $1,000 great buy .:cool:

jaredmorgs

Staff member
May 8, 2012
yep , Jared , i wish i waited a couple of years , would`ve got all the bells and whistles . i like the Arcade 1up , that looks good and cheap price , if it plays well it`ll be a big hit . for under $1,000 great buy .:cool:
I reckon it will have what most folks would need in a digital table at home.

We'll be hit pretty hard with the Aussie Tax when they land here, but even sub A$1000 makes them a pretty good argument for folks who want a quality introduction to what home digital Pinball cabinets are capable of.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.