What Arcade Games Am I Missing?

The loafer

Oct 28, 2012
now you guys are dabbling in my VR waters "and he saw the light and the light was warm and felt freaking good"

SYT: I only mention those for the guests who come over. I don't disagree, there is no need for 4000 mame games but... some titles just gotta be on there.

A while ago I was participating in a colecovision high score competition. I didn't do rather well lol BUT it forced me to play some of the classics for more than just ten minutes. This in turn made me rediscover why some of these games were so damn good and let me to kind of change my opinion on a few of these. One such example is Pitfall. Sure the gameplay is that of a cheap "too basic" platform game but forcing myself to play it more, the years rolled back and I got caught in its web! next thing you know after maybe 4-5 hours of playtime, I was able to get 100K and almost finish the game. It felt great. Did that with a few other Colecovision games and now started doing that with some of the mame classics and even some pinball games on the VPX pincab (and in VR).

I found doing so brought me better appreciation for these games but also for the developers too. Pinball especially has been an eye opening experience because even though I was a pinhead back in the day, I didn't spend hundreds of hours on EACH of the pinball games! So some you discover "hey, there's more ruleset than expected for this old game", etc.

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
now you guys are dabbling in my VR waters "and he saw the light and the light was warm and felt freaking good"

Nopedy nope nope nope! I plugged in my friend's Oculus Rift and hated it almost immediately. I cannot stand the poor resolution. If I see text, it needs to be clear and crisp. When the main menu of the system can't even do that, we got problems. I lent it to another friend to get his opinion, had the same reaction. So I brought this up with the friend who lended it to me, and he was all "but the 3D!!" (We both love 3D movies, I even just watched The Meg last night in 3D) He then said he could forgive the lower resolution and screen door effect because he liked the emmersion. Fair enough. I have played pinball in VR, I completely get the potential that is there and why it's exciting. Unfortunately I'm not convinced yet, and that's not even getting into the weight on my head or the heat.

The loafer

Oct 28, 2012
The difference between the Oculus Rift and the Rift S, the Valve Index and the HP Reverb is astounding. I couldn't go back to a Rift or Vive either.

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
So I think I'm done adding games for now. Thanks for the suggestions, I'll probably revisit as time goes on. I wound up also adding 3 versions of NFL Blitz, which required me learning about CHD files and where to install them.

Let's move on to a different issue I'm coming across. I started loading in a few PS1 titles I thought would work in the cab. Most of mine were stolen back in the day, with the only ones I still own being Fear Effect, Fear Effect 2, and Legend of Dragoon. All of these are multi disc games, so how does that work via emulator? This cab uses Launchbox, if anyone has experience with that launcher. I've read (and not quite understood) some people saying they have a file for each disc installed, others saying they've created a PSP file that the emulator reads just fine and combines everything into a single file. Anyone wanna walk me through the best option? I really wanna play Fear Effect again! In case you're wondering, I installed Tony Hawk 1 and 2, Military Madness, and Driver. I can't believe how terrible these all look compared to what my memory of them was!

The loafer

Oct 28, 2012
I know not the answer to your question but I agree some PSX titles have not aged well. In saying that, if you can, run them at higher resolutions and ensure you disable the dithering, some titles spring to life after doing so (Road Rash is a lot better looking).

Jeff Strong

Staff member
Feb 19, 2012
Yeah, also might not help, but that's the reason I try to go the Dreamcast route when I can. Tony Hawk for example looks a million times better on DC. With that said, the new THPS remaster will hopefully be the new go-to.

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
Yeah, also might not help, but that's the reason I try to go the Dreamcast route when I can. Tony Hawk for example looks a million times better on DC. With that said, the new THPS remaster will hopefully be the new go-to.

Oh, I am so all over that when it comes out. Or when it goes on sale, cuz I don’t do full price vid games!

Narc0lep5y

Feb 21, 2015
damn i don't check the site for a week and i miss a classic arcade thread.

I see the title list is done and all i can say is that it's downright negligent that no one mentioned Tetris.

Jeff Strong

Staff member
Feb 19, 2012

I see the title list is done and all i can say is that it's downright negligent that no one mentioned Tetris.

Technically I mentioned it in reference to Super Puzzle Fighter :rolleyes:

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012

I hate Tetris. I recognize it as an ingenious game, I don’t begrudge it’s popularity and I think it’s well deserved. I just hate playing it. It’s the exact same way I feel about the band U2. Meanwhile I have no problem with Dr Mario, go figure!

Jeff Strong

Staff member
Feb 19, 2012
I hate Tetris. I recognize it as an ingenious game, I don’t begrudge it’s popularity and I think it’s well deserved. I just hate playing it. It’s the exact same way I feel about the band U2. Meanwhile I have no problem with Dr Mario, go figure!

:D

Narc0lep5y

Feb 21, 2015
Better music. Better multiplayer. Technically not an arcade game unless you count the play choice 10 arcade machines

But an acceptable alternative.

Members online

Members online