What Arcade Games Am I Missing?

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
Okay, so if you've listened to the podcast, you know I have an Arcade 1Up Street Fighter II cab that is on long term (possibly permanent) loan to me. The owner essentially did a RetroPie to the thing, except he used a PC so he could have Steam games on here. He upgraded the buttons and joysticks, added coin door buttons and 2 flipper buttons on each side, and then he loaded it up with all his games he legally owns, whether it be actual arcade ROMS or things for NES, SNES, Genesis, PlayStation, etc, all running off emulators.

Well now that I got my hands on it, I kinda hate going into the PlayStation 2 file to open up for instance Namco Museum so I can play Ms. Pac-Man, especially when he has the real ROM for Pac-Man over in the arcade stuff and it loads immediately. Plus the arcade roms play and look better. So yeah, I went and found a MAME site and downloaded a bunch of titles. My deal is, I don't like having a massive selection of titles for everything under the sun, as I'll just wind up playing the same few anyways. That being said, there are a bunch that you sorta need on a multicade setup or your friends will come over (huh, remember that?) and go, "hey, whutabout this game, how come you don't got that?"

Here's where I need you guys to come in. I think I've got most of what I want, but throw some title at me that I'm missing. The deal is, I don't have a track ball or spinner knob, so that eliminates certain games straight off. I'm running an older MAME version (the owner doesn't want me updating it because he's afraid it'll bork the entire setup) and that means some ROMS just plain won't work, or I haven't been able to find the one version that will. Also, I'm not listing the 20+ Neo Geo games he owns, as most of those were never 'classics' in my world. Lemme know what's missing!

Asteroids
Burger Time
Commando
Cyberball
Defender
Dig Dug
Donkey Kong
Donkey Kong Jr
Final Fight
Galaga
Galaxian
Gauntlet
Joust
Mortal Kombat
Mortal Kombat II
Mortal Kombat 3
NBA Jam
NBA Jam Tournament
NBA Hangtime
Pac-Man
Pac-Man Plus
Ms Pac-Man
Super Pac-Man
Q*Bert
Rampage World Tour
Robotron
Smash T.V.
Street Fighter II
Super Street Fighter II
Super Street Fighter II Turbo
Xevious
Zaxxon

In case you're wondering, yes I installed Pinball FX2, FX3, TPA, Zaccaria, Pinball Wicked, and Demon's Tilt. Also on Steam I've got the Dragon's Lair collection installed and Cuphead. I really wanted Tempest on here, he even legally owns it, but MAME 0.205 still says files are missing and won't run it. Really wanted Tekken 3 too, but can't find the one ROM that will run on this version. I didn't put TMNT or Simpsons on here since they are really 4 player games and I've only got 2 joysticks. Same with why I didn't add any driving games, since there's no stearing wheel or pedals.

Kolchak357

Senior Pigeon
May 31, 2012
You already have most of my favorites listed. Others I remember playing...
Battlezone, Berzerk, Popeye, wizard of wor, space invaders, Frogger, punch out, sinistar, moon patrol, Mario bros, ghosts n goblins, Castlevania, Stargate, root beer tapper, food fight
Some trak ball games might still be fun with a joystick, like millipede.

Last edited:

wilbers

Aug 8, 2018
Kolchak has got the 3 obvious ones you missed, and even got Wizard of Wor as well.

This is an interesting list (all released on early consoles and home computers as they were trying to sell the games in question at the time).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Computer_Warrior

I've still got all the issues of that comic that I ever bought (only comic I bought as a kid, also discovered Star Trek & Star Wars comics a bit later) and nearly certain I've got them from the start of that story and definitely remember Turbo Outrun because he ran out of fuel and had to get out and push the car over the finish line. Looks like it stopped about 4 years after I did. Story a bit like Doctor Who with the second cycle of regenerations (can see the writers in the 60s - 12 sounds a good number, we'll probably never get past 3 anyway) - used up all 10 games and still needed to keep going so invented an incredibly similar new storyline.

shogun00

Dec 25, 2012
I really wanted Tempest on here, he even legally owns it, but MAME 0.205 still says files are missing and won't run it.
You need to have all versions of the ROM for it to work. This game has had quite a few updates over the years.

Really wanted Tekken 3 too, but can't find the one ROM that will run on this version.
Have you tried the International versions?

Another option is to check the PS2 file and see if he has Tekken 5. Tekken 5 has perfect arcade ports of the first 3 games as an extra.

I didn't put TMNT or Simpsons on here since they are really 4 player games and I've only got 2 joysticks.
Look for the Oceania versions of the ROMs. Konami released 2-player versions of those games in that territory. They are the exact same games in English, but contain a character select screen.

Last edited:

trash80

Dec 14, 2018
You need to have all versions of the ROM for it to work. This game has had quite a few updates over the years.

Just grab a merged ROM arcade reference set (from archive.org or other repository) for the version of MAME he is running. This will have all of the needed files with nothing duplicated. Use ClrMamePro (or other tool) to verify your files, and in the front-end you should be able to set up filters to only display the games that you want playable.

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
You already have most of my favorites listed. Others I remember playing...
Battlezone, Berzerk, Popeye, wizard of wor, space invaders, Frogger, punch out, sinistar, moon patrol, Mario bros, ghosts n goblins, Castlevania, Stargate, root beer tapper, food fight
Some trak ball games might still be fun with a joystick, like millipede.

After watching some YouTube gameplay...

Battlezone - was that one of those you played by looking through a scope of some sort? I vaguely remember this one
Berzerk - I do remember this, but Robotron and Smash TV essentially do it better
Popeye - I put quarters into this machine, don't think I ever got off the first board! A very Nintendo game for sure
Wizard of Wor - completely unfamiliar with this one
Space Invaders - just no. I'll play Galaga or Galaxian instead and tip the hat to where credit is due
Frogger - I really loathe this game, but yeah I probably should add it all the same. If anything, for George Costanza's sake
Punch Out - Forever associated in my mind as an NES game, not arcade. Strange, huh?
Sinistar - No nostalgia bells rang upon seeing the vid, and that's even with it on PS2 collection discs I've played
Moon Patrol - we used to play this in class on the Apple 2e! In mono color! Looks like an Atari 2600 Activision era game
Mario Bros - a classic to be sure, but can't find the MAME version, only console
Ghosts n Goblins - I remembered the Knight losing his armor, that's it. By reputation I know it's insanely hard
Castlevania - only knew this as a NES series, and even then I ignored it. Had no clue it actually was an arcade game
Stargate - oh god, because Defender doesn't kick my butt enough, I need it's sequel?
Tapper - game stressed me the hell out, that much I remember
Food Fight - don't know this one at all, unless it was on ColecoVision

I realize the track ball games were essentially the original analog stick input. On this cab there is a console version of Marble Madness, and it plays so wierd with an 8 point stick, plus you have to use buttons to increase or decrease speed. I mean it's playable, but odd. Very surprised nobody mentioned Track 'N Field. I'm not putting it on simply because that game is a button destroyer. Anyone else remeber guys using their pocket combs wedged between fingers for faster button mashing?

Last night I had my 14 year old son play a few arcade games, just to get his take on them. He claims to like 'bullet hell' games, so I had him try 1943, Smash TV, Xevious, and Commando. He complained the whole time! I had him try Donkey Kong and he declared the game was really unfair after not even being able to get up a second ladder. Played 2 player Final Fight with him, he was grooving on that more, much in the same way when I had him play Metal Slug with me last week. Afterwards he said "I don't like arcade games. Why would I want to play these when my games do all of this but way better? I'll go back to playing Hollow Knight on my Switch." He also said he doesn't get the point of these games when the sole goal is to just get a high score. This coming from the kid who has no problem spending hours on Minecraft, Terraria, and Slime Rancher, where the sole point is to just create an environment.

Last edited:

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012

Have you tried the International versions?

Another option is to check the PS2 file and see if he has Tekken 5. Tekken 5 has perfect arcade ports of the first 3 games as an extra.

Look for the Oceania versions of the ROMs. Konami released 2-player versions of those games in that territory. They are the exact same games in English, but contain a character select screen.

I checked this MAME version for what version of ROMs will work on it, and for Tempest it only lists one (Rev 3, Revised Hardware). I've tried 2 different Tempest files, one even listed as Rev 3, but still no luck. I honestly think this version of MAME being used is just too outdated. As for Tekken 3, the exact version I need is World (TET2/Ver E1) as no other will work. I tried one that was Asia (TET2/Ver E1) as that was the closest match I could find, but no dice. I'm not terribly chuffed by this, especially as my whole experience with the game was on the PlayStation anyways. My buddy had built a custom arcade controller back in the day that he'd use to smack me around with, thought it'd be fun to have that experience again. As it is, I suck at MK and SF, so it'd really just be more misery for me! I'll take a look for those Oceania versions of TMNT and Simpsons. I did a work around with Rampage where I made it so one of the flipper buttons acted as a Player 3 option, that way the second player can choose between the wolf or the lizard. For NBA Jam I did the same thing, where pushing the Player 2 button has them join my team, and hitting that Player 3 button has them on the opposite team with the CPU.

trash80

Dec 14, 2018
I checked this MAME version for what version of ROMs will work on it, and for Tempest it only lists one (Rev 3, Revised Hardware). I've tried 2 different Tempest files, one even listed as Rev 3, but still no luck. I honestly think this version of MAME being used is just too outdated. As for Tekken 3, the exact version I need is World (TET2/Ver E1) as no other will work. I tried one that was Asia (TET2/Ver E1) as that was the closest match I could find, but no dice. I'm not terribly chuffed by this, especially as my whole experience with the game was on the PlayStation anyways. My buddy had built a custom arcade controller back in the day that he'd use to smack me around with, thought it'd be fun to have that experience again. As it is, I suck at MK and SF, so it'd really just be more misery for me! I'll take a look for those Oceania versions of TMNT and Simpsons. I did a work around with Rampage where I made it so one of the flipper buttons acted as a Player 3 option, that way the second player can choose between the wolf or the lizard. For NBA Jam I did the same thing, where pushing the Player 2 button has them join my team, and hitting that Player 3 button has them on the opposite team with the CPU.

https://archive.org/download/mame205T7zMerged/tempest.7z

https://archive.org/download/mame205T7zMerged/tekken3.7z

If you need others, https://archive.org/download/mame205T7zMerged

For bullethell type games, you will want some NEO GEO, CAVE and TAITO to start with... and there are SHMUP specific MAME builds out there. Sadly, the typical MAME builds don't handle the purposeful programmed screen slowdown that is featured in many "real" bullethells, but they are still fun even though not arcade perfect.

Last edited:

Tron

Jul 8, 2012
Off the top of my head:

Shinobi - PacLand - Altered Beast - Bad Dudes vs Dragon Ninja - BombJack - Green Beret/Rush 'n Attack - Mr.DO - Final Fight - LadyBug -

Bubble Bobble - Cadillacs & Dinosaurs - Rolling Thunder - Centipede - Choplifter - Dark Stalkers The Night Warriors - Double Dragon - Elevator Action -

Golden Axe - Hyper Sports - Track 'n Field - Kicker/Shao Lins Road - Kung Fu Master - Marvel Super Heroes - Marvel vs Capcom -

Mikie - Mr Do's Castle - New Zealand Story - Pang - R Type - The Punisher - Operation Wolf - Robocop - Rainbow Islands - Splatter House -

Xmen Children of the Atom - Xmen vs Street Fighter - Shadow Dancer - Scramble - Empire City 1931 - Out Run - Super Hang On -

Vampire Hunter Dark Stalkers 2 - Strider - Space Invaders - Flicky - Strider - Alien vs Predator - BagMan - Marvel Super Heroes vs Street Fighter -

Super Gem Fighter Mini Mix - Wonder Boy - Sunset Riders - Puzzle Bobble - Punch Out.

Last edited:

The loafer

Oct 28, 2012
SYT: #1, there is no issue with the mame you are using for running any of the classic game, so if you are having issues, it's just the wrong rom set. You need to get the rom set (merged preferable) that is matched to the mame you are using. This difference issue is because they constantly fix an issue, or thee is a redump and voila, game won't work.

Lot's of good suggestions, I'll pop in some more. If you need help getting the right rom, let me know.

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
Thanks guys, got it working now! Now if only I had a spinner control because while playable, there’s no finesse on Tempest with a standard 8 point joystick! Tell ya, we take these analog sticks on game pads for granted. Might have to buy a USB spinner to plug in. Course then I’ll want a trackball too. Oi.

Also figured out how to add PS1 games, but again gotta be aware of which games required the analog sticks. I know, just plug in a controller, but where’s the fun in that?

The loafer

Oct 28, 2012
Yeah, trackball and spinner are a must and bonus for the trackball, on an arcade cab it is also the mouse so real easy when you need to interact with the OS

So if your intent is REALLY to have not only games you like but games that also would be pleasing for other people visiting, then I highly recommend looking at mame32/UI and checking out the custom list "Golden Age". Although there are some really dumb misses, the list is fairly complete and should hit all the main "classics" that guests who are fans of arcades in the 80's would be fond to revisit on your arcade cab. Such classics listed that are missing from your list (may have been listed by others):

Amidar
Asteroids Deluxe
Astro Blaster (man I loved this game back in the day)
Astro Fighter
Bagman
Berzerk
Bosconian
Buck Rogers
Carnival
Centipede (get a trackball)
Congo Bongo
Crazy Climber (IMHO this game has aged sooo well!)
Crystal Castles (well only if you listened to my advice about Trackball)
Elevator Action
Frogger (I don't care if you don't like it LOL)
Front Line
Gorf
Gravitar
Gyruss (played the colecovision version to death)
Journey (well it has its fans lol)
Jungle hunt/king
Kick (basic but such a fun game)
Kung Fu Master
Lady Bug
Lunar Lander (might be tricky with default controls though)
Mappy
Marble Madness (only if you follow duly offered advice... but see below for now)
Mario Bros (such a fantastic simultaneous two player game, almost as good as Joust)
Millipede (I said get a trackball)
Missile Command (I SAID get a trackball)
Moon Cresta
Moon Patrol (really I believe it's a crime in 9 American states to not have this installed on an arcade cab... well so I've heard!)
Mouse Trap
Mr Do
Omega Race (if you get a spinner but you might be able to configure the controls to work with joystick)
Pengo
Phoenix
Pooyan
Popeye
Quix (another that has aged very well though there are more modern versions that may appeal graphics wise)
Rally X
Reactor (... if you so deem to grave your cab with a ... TRACKBALL)
Satan's Hollow
Scramble
Sinistar
Space Duel (another great two player game!)
Space Fury
Space Invaders
Spy Hunter (though I can't remember how playable it is without steering wheel)
Star Trek
Star Wars (only if you get a trackball, it's actually quite a lot of fun with it)
Stargate (duh)
Super Cobra
Tapper
Time Pilot
Tutankham
Vanguard
Venture
Wizard of Wor

Some missing from this list but still classics:
Arkanoid (if you get a spinner... and you should)
Bank Panic
Bomb Jack
Bubble Bobble
Champion Baseball
Circus Charlie
Commando
Eliminator
Frenzy
Gaplus
Ghost N Goblins
Ikari Warriors
Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom
Karate Champ
Lode Runner (yeah there was an arcade version)
Marble Madness (if you play the Amiga version, I think that's sorta playable with joystick but... get a trackball and play the Arcade version!)
Pang
Pepper II
Puzzle Bobble
Return of the Jedi
R-Type
Space Harrier (trackball works well for arcade game)
Super Pang
Tempest (spinner) but you could always play via emulating consoles the Jeff Minter alternates (T2K, etc )
Terra Cresta

I guess that's enough, just stuff I can see from a quick glance at Mame. Don't sell the neogeo short, some of those games are fantastic and I'm not talking about the fighting games (well, Garou Mark of the Wolvves, Last Blade, Samurai Showdown and a few others did blow me away). I am referring to Aero Fighters 2, Baseball Stars 2, 2020 Baseball, Blazing Stars, Metal Slug Series, Pulsar, Shock Troopers, Top Hunter & WindJammers are just fantastic games)

BTW you saved yourself from my wrath by having Robotron in your list. I tell ya if it wasn't there...

Jeff Strong

Staff member
Feb 19, 2012
SYT is going down the rabbit hole too...sweet!

Looks like you're in good hands here with tons of good suggestions.

I love the nostalgia factor, but let's face it: your kid makes a great point about modern games. It's still a great history lesson for him though...and maybe he just needs to find THE game that really clicks for him. For instance, I know someone who couldn't give a damn about old school games, but is absolutely hooked on Columns.

The head to head stuff is a really fun aspect of arcade gaming too so that might pull him in. Don't know if it was mentioned yet, but Super Puzzle Fighter is one of my favorite head to head arcade games. Sort of like 2 player Tetris but with the Street Fighter characters duking it out in the background along with you. Really cool combination.

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
Congo Bongo
Frogger (I don't care if you don't like it LOL)
Gravitar
Gyruss (played the colecovision version to death)
Mappy
Mario Bros (such a fantastic simultaneous two player game, almost as good as Joust)
Moon Patrol (really I believe it's a crime in 9 American states to not have this installed on an arcade cab... well so I've heard!)
Popeye
Tapper
Ghost N Goblins
Lode Runner (yeah there was an arcade version)

Don't sell the neogeo short, some of those games are fantastic and I'm not talking about the fighting games (well, Garou Mark of the Wolvves, Last Blade, Samurai Showdown and a few others did blow me away). I am referring to Aero Fighters 2, Baseball Stars 2, 2020 Baseball, Blazing Stars, Metal Slug Series, Pulsar, Shock Troopers, Top Hunter & WindJammers are just fantastic games)

BTW you saved yourself from my wrath by having Robotron in your list. I tell ya if it wasn't there...

Out of that massive list, here's what I'll add.
I do remember playing Congo Bongo in arcades.
Apparently I have no choice with Frogger, as you're not the first person to tell me that.
I like the vector graphic look of Gravitar though I don't ever remember playing it.
Gyruss sorta looks like fun, so sure.
Looking at Mappy, I'm like whatever, but it does ring a bell with me.
I think I found the Mario Bros rom finally, so that's a for sure add.
I'm still on the fence with Moon Patrol, but peer pressure my get the better of me.
May as well add Popeye if I'm adding things like Mappy.
And yeah, same for Tapper.
My buddy keeps bringing up Ghosts N Goblins too, but it looks annoying to me. I do remember the knight losing his armor.
Lode Runner? Oh hell yeah! I played the crap out of that on my buddies PC, and that was in single color. Had no idea there was an arcade game of it.

I have 25 NeoGeo games that were already loaded. I've messed with Baseball Stars, some golf game, gave the Metal Slug games a whirl, King of the Monsters. Most I just don't have any nostalgia response with.

Last edited:

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
SYT is going down the rabbit hole too...sweet!

Looks like you're in good hands here with tons of good suggestions.

I love the nostalgia factor, but let's face it: your kid makes a great point about modern games. It's still a great history lesson for him though...and maybe he just needs to find THE game that really clicks for him. For instance, I know someone who couldn't give a damn about old school games, but is absolutely hooked on Columns.

The head to head stuff is a really fun aspect of arcade gaming too so that might pull him in. Don't know if it was mentioned yet, but Super Puzzle Fighter is one of my favorite head to head arcade games. Sort of like 2 player Tetris but with the Street Fighter characters duking it out in the background along with you. Really cool combination.

It's not quite as deep a rabbit hole as I've been going down with Arcade 1Up cabinet mods. I've been watching a sh!t ton of those vids. I'm purposely being selective with games, as I don't gotta catch 'em all, you know? It's not like pinball! I am having fun cultivating and going down memory lane. With today's games, I'm not really into mulitplayer, but so many of these arcade games were meant for 2 players, so that's fun. I do find myself wandering over and playing a few mindless games of whatever now instead of turning to my phone for mindless mobile games. I'm now truly itching for these Arcade 1Up Pinball cabs, as I sense I'd be doing the same with those. We'll have to see what happens there.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.