Williams Pinball Volume 6

trash80

Dec 14, 2018
It was a beta build back in March, though given the display problems I really think it should be appropriate to call that the alpha build, and beta would have been the one in May(+) with the ALPHAnumeric display working, but seems that wasn't released to be tested.

I am referring to "beta builds" with the actual definition of beta testing in mind. Zen has multiple "beta" builds, but the Williams Preview builds that we are discussing here are just that, a preview, and rarely are used to facilitate and provide end user feedback that is then incorporated into the final product before release. Historically, Zen has run beta testing builds and then they release a preview build a couple months later after they have worked out 99% of the kinks. The alpha-numeric issue is/was an underlying engine framework problem, not a Williams Volume 6 content problem, and would fall into being tested by their paid testers, not fans on a forum.

Last edited:

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
I am referring to "beta builds" with the actual definition of beta testing in mind. Zen has multiple "beta" builds, but the Williams Preview builds that we are discussing here are just that, a preview, and rarely are used to facilitate and provide end user feedback that is then incorporated into the final product before release. Historically, Zen has run beta testing builds and then they release a preview build a couple months later after they have worked out 99% of the kinks. The alpha-numeric issue is/was an underlying engine framework problem, not a Williams Volume 6 content problem, and would fall into being tested by their paid testers, not fans on a forum.

I get what you are saying, in that when those of us in this forum get a beta build, it's fairly complete. However, it is listed to us as a beta, and then we get different access to a Preview build that is the same any game reviewer would get just prior to release. I don't know why you say our feedback is rarely used, as there have been multiple times when we've commented to Deep about something and the next day have a fix. Otherwise there would be no point in us getting the builds as early as we do sometimes. The odd thing for us with Vol 6, was that we only ever got the one build and that was without a working score display unless you were in View 8.

trash80

Dec 14, 2018
I get what you are saying, in that when those of us in this forum get a beta build, it's fairly complete. However, it is listed to us as a beta, and then we get different access to a Preview build that is the same any game reviewer would get just prior to release. I don't know why you say our feedback is rarely used, as there have been multiple times when we've commented to Deep about something and the next day have a fix. Otherwise there would be no point in us getting the builds as early as we do sometimes. The odd thing for us with Vol 6, was that we only ever got the one build and that was without a working score display unless you were in View 8.

"Zen has multiple "beta" builds, but the Williams Preview builds that we are discussing here are just that, a preview, and rarely are used to facilitate and provide end user feedback that is then incorporated into the final product before release."

Since you are in the Steam beta program, every password protected release may seem like a beta whether it actually is or not, but the only build we got this time was the preview build back in March.

Last edited:

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
Is Zen still testing on IOS ? I’ve not paid any attention since I stopped.

Not that I know of. I even made mention of it to Akos when there was an issue like that in NGG where it’s impossible to plunge the ball up the left ramp, how that would have been immediately caught in beta with us. He agreed that it should be reconsidered, but I’ve heard nothing since.

MadScience2006

Oct 5, 2012
Not that I know of. I even made mention of it to Akos when there was an issue like that in NGG where it’s impossible to plunge the ball up the left ramp, how that would have been immediately caught in beta with us. He agreed that it should be reconsidered, but I’ve heard nothing since.

I was on the Williams pre-release beta team for iOS. I don't recall any of the issues I reported at the time being resolved. Maybe Zen feels that a beta team is just not required.

I remember beta testing a Disneyland based app (iOS) which required me to actually be in Disneyland/Disney California Adventure to test it (I was there on at least a weekly basis). This was at a time when we had unblocked passes (which nowadays cost a small fortune). I remember the same result...issues reported were pretty much never resolved. When a new version was released, it brought along it's own new issues...a never-ending cycle.

Makes me wonder why beta testing is even implemented (when it is). :rolleyes:

Last edited:

superballs

Apr 12, 2012
I like the releases this pack, I'm just hoping for an EM pack with Williams' Triple Strike.

One can dream I guess.

Lroy

Mar 9, 2019
Wait for new tables feels so agonisingly long as is becoming the trend... obviously great that Zen’s product engenders such excitement but I would greatly appreciate announcements to be accompanied by some form of release date. ‘Soon’ is such a generalisation and could basically mean days, weeks or even months. Really hope the next set of Williams/Bally or other real-life tables comes hot on the heels of this belated release. Or if not we get an announcement only like a week or two at most before they materialise for purchase.

Anyways, not meaning to sound negative or entitled just very excited and eager to get my hands on more Zen recreated real-life tables. There is absolutely no substitute for playing the real thing but I do love me some digital pinball all the same.

Wonder if a Switch physical release of Marvel Pinball is also on the cards for 2020 or more likely 2021 now what with the disruption of the pandemic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

shogun00

Dec 25, 2012
Or if not we get an announcement only like a week or two at most before they materialise for purchase.
That's what they usually do, but they had to do something since it's been over 8 months without a single pinball announcement. Literally, some people on social media believed that they went out of business; or that they just gave up on making pinball tables completely (like Farsight).

You can only stay silent for so long before people start to assume the worst possible case scenario has happened. I rather see an announcement with a TBD release date, then utter silence any day to be honest.

Pete

Jul 16, 2012
for everday that the table pack is not released i will be spraying off an entire can of aerosol pointed directly at the ozone layer causing harmful damage to the earth. if my demands are not met within two weeks i will up upping the amountage of cans, twice daily. the cans will increase with compound intrest and eventually trigger the apocalypse... so, you know, get those out soon or whatever. thank you.

Kolchak357

Senior Pigeon
May 31, 2012
for everday that the table pack is not released i will be spraying off an entire can of aerosol pointed directly at the ozone layer causing harmful damage to the earth. if my demands are not met within two weeks i will up upping the amountage of cans, twice daily. the cans will increase with compound intrest and eventually trigger the apocalypse... so, you know, get those out soon or whatever. thank you.

Are you Professor Chaos?

Lroy

Mar 9, 2019
Do Zen tend to release new tables on a certain day of the week historically?

Just clutching at straws, for any clue as to when to realistically hope for a release ASAP. I thought perhaps they might drop the tables today, tomorrow or Thursday. Think that’s when the console’s update their eShops each week. Not sure about Steam. Nintendo Switch is the platform I play PBFX3 on.

Running out of time to make an August release. If we run into September without seeing any of the new tables would that make a Halloween double-pack for 2020 even more remote? Man that would be a shame, been lean pickings for so many months now. 2020 been a write-off for many far more important reasons I know but just focusing on the joyful escapism of digital pinball, it’s been totally barren new content wise for us average punters.

Outside of Covid-19 what info have we had on the cause for such a lack of new content? Vaguely recall mention of a technical hurdle encountered by Zen with alphanumeric tables but I may be misunderstanding as also heard people say these tables have been ready for release for months?

With basically Q4 only now remaining for 2020, should we expect the Zen and Arcade1up retail digital pin tables to dominate any future content forthcoming from Zen for the time being?

Excuse the ramble, I’m very excited about the prospect of an affordable digital pin table for the home and sincerely hope the product proves to be a success for Zen and Arcade1up but I’m also desperate for more real-life tables to be released for PBFX3 on Switch.

The lean times like these make me even more gutted I never managed to buy ALL the Williams/Bally tables on Pinball Arcade on Switch before that game got taken down and reissued with them removed or was that just a dream, lol! Did anyone manage to be quick of the draw and purchase those tables for the Switch platform within Pinball Arcade?

Anyway, let’s hazard a guess at how many new tables for 2020 we’ll see from Zen.

Safe bet is the 3 we know are incoming. I’d love to at least see another two in the form of a Halloween Double-pack. So that would be 5. Guess there’s an outside chance we might then get another 3 before the end of the year - so 8 new tables at most but imagine the odds are stacked way against that.

Aside from this just being armchair belly aching from me, has this prolonged period of no new tables made you any more or less anxious about how many tables we will ever get from Zen from the Bally/Williams licence. For example, do you think we’ll ever see Zen get to the number FarSight managed to release - 60-odd? Or should we more realistically assume Zen will never put out more than half a dozen real-life based tables per year?

Again, sorry for the ramble. Laid up with a back strain and idle thumbs and all that.

Last edited:

MadScience2006

Oct 5, 2012
Aside from this just being armchair belly aching from me, has this prolonged period of no new tables made you any more or less anxious about how many tables we will ever get from Zen from the Bally/Williams licence. For example, do you think we’ll ever see Zen get to the number FarSight managed to release - 60-odd? Or should we more realistically assume Zen will never put out more than half a dozen real-life based tables per year?
Not really concerned with how many they can put out...as long as there is something new periodically. What they release is worth waiting for as the tables are all literally works of art in my eyes.

How about even just one table release but more frequently than a “table pack”? What’s the reasoning behind having to release a group of tables as opposed to just one?

Something new to relieve the grinding (which a lot of us have been doing) or to make the grinding worth it. Grinding for Zen Coins and Arcade Tickets is getting really old...also seems like they are upping the target scores to make things more "challenging" but it's just getting more frustrating.

They need to reward more substantially when you level up...I'm at level 38, approaching level 39. The most I get after all the time that it takes is one Zen Coin for the reward and maybe some arcade tickets and a ball or ball trail use (I could care less about the balls and ball trails). I can earn at least one Zen Coin (now that I can't earn table parts) for completing just one Challenge. Leveling up takes a long time and should be worth much more than one Zen Coin. :confused:

C'mon Zen, let's make leveling up more rewarding...

Just my opinion

Last edited:

Lroy

Mar 9, 2019
I’d be happy for just one table at a time. A monthly release of a new table would be great. Agree the tables are worth waiting for and it’s just a bit of distraction to shoot the breeze here while we wait for the next table pack.

I don’t play on mobile, so haven’t experienced the same grind described above but I’m all for Zen actually making improvements to PBFX3 suite of modes.

Match-up mode on console is simply a grind-fest for little to no purpose. I’d gladly swap that out for a more engaging mode. Actually, think a lot of improvement ideas on what to bring to that mode or replace it with were mentioned to Zen on the PBFX3 discord server soon after the game released.

Can’t think of what those suggestions were now, lol!

Hope Zen aren’t done with PBFX3 already and postponing any game-mode additions or improvements to the general suite of what’s offered currently to the incoming next-gen and PBFX4 instead. Seems way too soon for the next iteration but who knows?

Citizen

Oct 5, 2017
I need to have children so that one day my distant ancestors will be able to enjoy Williams Pinball Vol. 7.

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
The idea of doing a 3 pack is one of economics. Each table build is going to cost a different amount depending on how many hours are put into each. By packaging a group, the average cost balances out, which allows Zen to keep the pricing consistant. Also, it means each pack has a better chance of selling the same as prior packs, rather than having certain tables sell poorly while others sell amazingly. Think of it like how studios sell multiple channels to the cable carrier, packaging in lesser channels few people would want with ones that most would want.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.