Williams Pinball Volume 6

Gorgias32

Jan 14, 2016
For Space Station scoring, the multiball is definitely important, but I am finding that aiming for and trying to complete the standup bank on the left is pretty fruitful, they score I believe 20k each the first time and 10k after lit, and when you fill them up there's a chance to get a big payout. Not the safest shot in the world but nothing is really safe on this table.

If anyone has an in-depth guide for Space Station I'd love to see one - I actually really miss having the TPA interactive manual on this one.

vfpcoder

Jul 9, 2012
You lovin’ that Vertigo cab or fo you now wish you’d gone with their standard design (cost of course being a factor). What does it take to get the tables on there? Does it just update with Steam and your PC, or does it have its own store?

The VPCabs Vertigo is a Windows-based cab. Licensed versions of the Zen FX3 tables are preinstalled. For newer FX3 tables, you just purchase them and download them via Steam.
Since the Vertigo is a two monitor cab, the upper monitor can just be used as a DMD (if you wish) so the backglass art is not required. VPCabs provides a video on how to add the tables to the PinballX front end.

I run the FarSight Pinball Arcade tables on the machine via the Arcooda-enhanced option; so for those tables the upper monitor is used as a combined backglass/DMD.
I also now have VPX tables running on the Cab with the "active" backglasses -- which is kind of awesome.
I have also added sound activated LED light strips to the rear of the cabinet. I just dangled the included sound activation box over the rear woofer, and it was "good to go"!

Yeah -- I'm still *loving* the Vertigo. I didn't have room for the full size cabinet. It has been *perfect* for my requirements. I just wanted something that would give me a "taste" of all the great real pinball tables l've played over the years, and it has delivered that in spades. The included kick-ass audio system really helps. I've never regretted purchasing it.

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
That’s awesome, so glad you are enjoying it. I’ve only just heard of these active back glasses. You have a link?

vfpcoder

Jul 9, 2012
Just to be clear, the animated backglasses I was referring to are for the VPX tables; I haven't tried the new animated backglasses for FX3.
I may have to check those out this weekend!

HighFive

Jun 9, 2019
Noticed its not list in the table guide, but for Space Station, shooting the single target to the right of the playfield randomises one of the rewards. To lit Space or Station, hold the left flipper and press the right one. It give you a better random to collect if you dont like the ones that are lit up in the center playfield.

shogun00

Dec 25, 2012
Noticed its not list in the table guide, but for Space Station, shooting the single target to the right of the playfield randomises one of the rewards. To lit Space or Station, hold the left flipper and press the right one.
FWIW, it works the other way around too. Hold the right flipper and select with the left.

Another thing to point out is launching a new ball. You will notice that the awards are shuffling in a pattern and it will immediately stop as soon as the ball hits one of 1-2-3 rollovers. With a nice timed shot, you can actually control what the awards will be.

morenoquinteiro

Oct 16, 2013
Funhouse is a bit overrated IMO. Cool table, not bad at all, but if you take off the creepiness of the toy (the doll head), which pretty much only happen in the real table, gameplay is pretty plain. It is a good table, but not that good as some people state. And I'm not a big fan of the Zen Pinball lighting on this one. It is two dark, it is not bad and it is kind of beautiful, but I prefer the Farsight recreation with the clear and bright table. Zen could implement some lighting options btw, it gets you into the mood with the darker sets, but I would like to have the bright table too, to have a better vision of its art and all.

ODB123

Mar 7, 2021
Well, I'm rather late to this discussion. It seems like most enthusiasts posting here have leveled up and maxed out all tables on mobile already.

I'm surprised there is no discussion of the physics of Volume 6 tables. Meaning there are quite a few complaints on other forums, especially on steam and on the zen studios forums.

To be honest, I'm very disappointed by the physics of these newer tables. On Fun House and to a lesser extent Dr Dude, the trajectory of shots is much more limited and therefore more predictable. There is far less "randomness" making game play rather dull on both tables.

The ball doesn't seem to travel as quickly either. It can, but frame rate judder is very evident in such instances. This is very speculative, but it seems like there is a stronger emphasis on rendering ball spin and I'm wondering if this makes the tables more CPU intensive. The spin is often excessive and unrealistic, or perhaps it looks like it is because my processor can't keep up?

Ball movement seems far more realistic on previous table packs, and now it's back to being slow(er) and floaty, reminiscent just a bit of tPA tables, which quite frankly, is not a good thing.

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
Are you playing with Pro or regular physics? You very much need to state that when talking about the Williams app, as quite a few of the people that make complaints in other forums have no clue there's even an option. Personally I've noticed no significant difference in play, but perhaps some of the things you are noticing have more to do with the era of table as these are all alpha numerics and do indeed play a bit different in real life compared to DMD era. Also, as I have all these tables in the TPA app and can do a direct comparison, no the physics are not even remotely as floaty as they are there.

ODB123

Mar 7, 2021
Are you playing with Pro or regular physics? You very much need to state that when talking about the Williams app, as quite a few of the people that make complaints in other forums have no clue there's even an option. Personally I've noticed no significant difference in play, but perhaps some of the things you are noticing have more to do with the era of table as these are all alpha numerics and do indeed play a bit different in real life compared to DMD era. Also, as I have all these tables in the TPA app and can do a direct comparison, no the physics are not even remotely as floaty as they are there.

Are you really trying to say that ghosting, slow frame rates, and obviously scripted and limited trajectories/shots are somehow evidence of a high level of accuracy in emulation? Game play is obviously faster with "pro" physics, but the ghosting is still very evident. As I have already stated, these problems are only evident with Volume 6.

Your experiences are different than mine as DD and FH play very, very smoothly, with fast frame rates on tPA. There is no evidence of ghosting obviously either. All of these problems are present on DD and FH to a greater or lesser degree. I own over 70 tables on tPA, so yes, am very familiar with how tPA tables play.

Your level of defensiveness when discussing zen is far too obvious. Do you believe that cursing and calling anyone who disagrees with you or criticizes zen in the slightest is a "troll?" How does that work exactly? Of course, calling someone who criticizes buggy games must be a "troll" since zen employees are god like and never make mistakes.

Checks out. :D

Last edited:

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
Do you believe that cursing and calling anyone who disagrees with you or criticizes zen in the slightest is a "troll?" How does that work exactly? Of course, calling someone who criticizes buggy games must be a "troll" since zen employees are god like and never make mistakes.

Hi, welcome to the forum. You may notice I am a moderator here, have been a member of the forum since the beginning in 2012, with well over 7000 posts. Please feel free to quote the posts where you say I am cursing at someone or calling someone a troll.

Please, go ahead. I'll wait.

I did find it curious how when you didn't immediately get a response on a different thread you started you responded with
I thought there'd be more responses. I guess pinball isn't that popular among gamers.

You used a similar passive aggressive tactic as your first post in this thread with
Well, I'm rather late to this discussion. It seems like most enthusiasts posting here have leveled up and maxed out all tables on mobile already.

I'm surprised there is no discussion of the physics of Volume 6 tables. Meaning there are quite a few complaints on other forums, especially on steam and on the zen studios forums.

Now my response to the above was asking for more details about how you are playing. It is a common occurance with new people to this forum looking for answers, but in order to help you need to be as clear as possible about what the issue is and on what devices. Discussions about the mobile app differ from iOS users to Android, and obviously on Android the actual device and what version of the OS you are using can also play a huge factor. We have had people make a general complaint about physics and being disappointed in them who never knew Pro physics were even a thing on mobile. After activiating it, they no longer had an issue.

The floaty physics of TPA I made mention of has nothing to do with frame rates you mention. One is about the physics engine, the other is processor related. See how interchanging the two causes an issue in discussions? Provide screen shots of "ghosting", because that is going to mean different things to different people. Give us specific moments where you notice "scripting" (we called it "being on railroads" for TPA) in ball behavior on a particular table to see if others have noticed it or can reproduce what you are seeing.

Like I said in a different thread, this forum isn't like others. Here we have actual discussions, many of which have been going on for years, many of which cover the very questions you might have. The community obviously doesn't expect you to read the entire forum before asking a question, but maybe as a noob to it you should check the lay of the land and who you are chatting with, as they might actually know what they are talking about. A good start is anyone with over 1000 posts, but even our 500 post people are well versed at this point.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.