Results 1 to 12 of 12

Thread: Pinball Arcade and Stern Arcade PS4 running on the PS5

  1. #1
    Senior Member spoonman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Atlantis (Do it again!)
    Posts
    1,428
    My Devices
    In order of priority... [PS4] [PS3] [Switch] [Fire HD] [PS Vita] [Wii U] [iPod 6th gen] [New 3DS XL]
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Pinball Arcade and Stern Arcade PS4 running on the PS5

    I wasn't sure if this has been discussed yet, but with the PS5 system only a few months away, I have been thinking about this. Hopefully it can be sorted out since I plan on replacing my launch model PS4 with a PS5, and would like to continue playing pinball on it.

    Also, with the higher clock frequency of the PS5, we should see see improved performance for all PS4 titles, from what I understand. They should all be running as if they were on a PS4 Pro.

    This seems to explain it better:


    PS5 Boost Mode & How It Affects Backwards Compatibility
    While PS5 backwards compatibility has been confirmed to support nearly every PS4 title on the market when the machine launches during holiday 2020, there are issues surrounding how the PS5 will make enhancements to these games, thanks in no small part to how this new boost mode functionality works.

    Long story short – by using ‘boost’ the PS5 strays away from the mode0 and mode1 emulation presets that allow it to perfectly mimic the PS4 and PS4 Pro specifications (hence the near 99% compatibility with PS4 titles on day one), forcing the console to run PS4 titles at speeds far faster than they were ever intended to.

    Because of this, Sony engineers are having to work on a case-by-case basis to make select PS4 titles work with PS5’s boost spec, deciding to do this by focusing on the top 100 PS4 titles as decided by total playtime. This means while you can probably expect lots of first-party exclusives such as Days Gone, God of War and Gran Turismo Sport to be supported alongside the likes of Call of Duty, Grand Theft Auto V and Red Dead Redemption 2, many superb (but less played) titles will unfortunately not benefit from the enhanced treatment – at least not right away.
    source: https://www.psu.com/news/ps5-boost-m...ps5-ps4-games/

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    215
    My Devices
    Andriod, PS3, PS4.
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Haha.. no! PS4 games will still need some tweaks to be able to play on the PS5 and there's no chance farsight is going to do anything with TPA for it to work on PS5.

  3. #3
    Senior Member spoonman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Atlantis (Do it again!)
    Posts
    1,428
    My Devices
    In order of priority... [PS4] [PS3] [Switch] [Fire HD] [PS Vita] [Wii U] [iPod 6th gen] [New 3DS XL]
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Caveman View Post
    Haha.. no! PS4 games will still need some tweaks to be able to play on the PS5 and there's no chance farsight is going to do anything with TPA for it to work on PS5.
    I think most indie games, and those which didn't tax the PS4, will be fine on the PS5, without the need for tweaking. I also think Sony has a large team that's going through all of the titles, to ensure they all (eventually) work smoothly. I wouldn't worry too much.

  4. #4
    Senior Member Rayder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Posts
    399
    My Devices
    PC, PS4 Pro
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Honestly, TPA is the one game that I will watch here closely for reports of it working correctly or not once PS5 is released.

  5. #5
    Senior Member tandigab's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Location
    Paks, Hungary
    Posts
    165
    My Devices
    PS4, PC
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Caveman View Post
    Haha.. no! PS4 games will still need some tweaks to be able to play on the PS5 and there's no chance farsight is going to do anything with TPA for it to work on PS5.
    Official Announcement.
    Our longstanding licenses for the Williams and Bally pinball trademarks will finally come to an end on June 30th, 2018. Therefore, after this date tables from these manufacturers will no longer be offered for sale within the Pinball Arcade. However, customers who purchased any of these tables prior to the deadline will continue to own them and have access to them within the Pinball Arcade, and we will continue to support them as we do the other tables in our collection. This change will affect all of our devices and platforms.

    So if you’ve ever been interested in owning these great tables, please purchase them now, before they disappear!

    FarSight will continue to release new tables for the Pinball Arcade. We are excited to announce that Season 8 will launch later this summer and will feature all of the recent Stern tables in Stern Pinball Arcade along with several new tables.

    We’d like to sincerely thank all of our customers and fans over the past decade. Your amazing support of our game has helped build the Pinball Arcade into the greatest pinball simulation of all time. Pinball forever!

  6. #6
    Senior Member Firefox2000's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Glasgow
    Posts
    235
    My Devices
    PC(Steam).
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by spoonman View Post
    I wasn't sure if this has been discussed yet, but with the PS5 system only a few months away, I have been thinking about this. Hopefully it can be sorted out since I plan on replacing my launch model PS4 with a PS5, and would like to continue playing pinball on it.

    Also, with the higher clock frequency of the PS5, we should see see improved performance for all PS4 titles, from what I understand. They should all be running as if they were on a PS4 Pro.

    This seems to explain it better:


    source: https://www.psu.com/news/ps5-boost-m...ps5-ps4-games/
    Sony have been very ambiguious on the whole BC issue with the PS5, but even if you remove that for the moment i doubt you will see PBA appear on the platform as the title is dead and PB no longer have the licences for most of the tables in the PBA app to allow them to make them work on the new platform, and seeing as the PS5 BC is not running via ps4 hardware it just adds another nail into the coffin of the PBA version of the PS4 tables ever being being able to run on the PS5, but the biggest issue here is the table licences.
    Steam: The Omega Man
    XBox: The Omega M4n

  7. #7
    Senior Member spoonman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Atlantis (Do it again!)
    Posts
    1,428
    My Devices
    In order of priority... [PS4] [PS3] [Switch] [Fire HD] [PS Vita] [Wii U] [iPod 6th gen] [New 3DS XL]
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Firefox2000 View Post
    Sony have been very ambiguious on the whole BC issue with the PS5, but even if you remove that for the moment i doubt you will see PBA appear on the platform as the title is dead and PB no longer have the licences for most of the tables in the PBA app to allow them to make them work on the new platform, and seeing as the PS5 BC is not running via ps4 hardware it just adds another nail into the coffin of the PBA version of the PS4 tables ever being being able to run on the PS5, but the biggest issue here is the table licences.

    I still think there is a good chance of it working on the PS5. PlayStation CEO Jim Ryan reiterated that 99% of PS4 games will be working on the new console.

    "Ryan also said that of the thousands of games tested for PS4 backwards compatibility, “99 percent” can be played on the next console." source: https://www.washingtonpost.com/video...-retail-units/ And Farsight wouldn't have to do a thing if it runs in legacy PS4 mode. I assume you would just download it on the PS5's Download List/Library.

    I suppose we'll see. I was lucky to have grabbed a PS5 from BestBuy, hours after they were said to have sold out.
    Last edited by spoonman; 09-18-2020 at 12:37 AM.

  8. #8
    Senior Member Firefox2000's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Glasgow
    Posts
    235
    My Devices
    PC(Steam).
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ^^Ryan also said PS5 games were being built from the ground up and can't be run on anything other than PS5 hardware, and has been spouting that stance since feb of this year........then Ryan this week announced those PS5 games to appear on the PS4, so take it all with a pinch of salt until you pop your disc into the PS5 and it runs, i mean it would be great if it did, but don't bet your home on it. lol
    Steam: The Omega Man
    XBox: The Omega M4n

  9. #9
    Senior Member gameaddict4life's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    201
    My Devices
    PS3 (TPA) PS4 (TPA, SPA, ZP2, FX3, ZP)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Firefox2000 View Post
    ^^Ryan also said PS5 games were being built from the ground up and can't be run on anything other than PS5 hardware, and has been spouting that stance since feb of this year........then Ryan this week announced those PS5 games to appear on the PS4, so take it all with a pinch of salt until you pop your disc into the PS5 and it runs, i mean it would be great if it did, but don't bet your home on it. lol
    I'm starting to feel like all these "next gen" consoles are just a cash grab, at least for the first few years. Sony will be supporting the PS4 for several more years. The big exclusive PS5 games are coming to PS4 because guess what they were developed for PS4 first. Factor in the pandemic slowing down game production, the economy, and the PS4's massive install base and you have a recipe for the softest console launch ever.

    Also it was just revealed that game sizes are going to be pretty much the same as they are now. With the small SSDs in the new consoles that's not the best news. SSDs are still really expensive too so expanding storage is going to cost an arm and a leg.

    If you have top of the line equipment, a 4K tv with HDMI 2.1 and a HDMI receiver with 7.1 or 3D audio, then sure it makes sense to "upgrade". But for the average gamer? Not really. More expensive games and less storage for what? Slightly sharper graphics and faster load times? Gone are the days of going from say a NES to a Sega Genesis. Now that was an upgrade!
    It's all good.

  10. #10
    Senior Member Tabe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    831
    My Devices
    PS3, PS4, Android (LG G2), iPod Air
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gameaddict4life View Post
    you have a recipe for the softest console launch ever.
    Not a chance. Pre-orders for the PS5 sell out seconds after they go up. They will sell millions of units. Same for Xbox.

    And, incidentally, you're making the same exact same arguments people made when we went from PS3 to PS4.

  11. #11
    Senior Member spoonman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Atlantis (Do it again!)
    Posts
    1,428
    My Devices
    In order of priority... [PS4] [PS3] [Switch] [Fire HD] [PS Vita] [Wii U] [iPod 6th gen] [New 3DS XL]
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gameaddict4life View Post
    I'm starting to feel like all these "next gen" consoles are just a cash grab, at least for the first few years. Sony will be supporting the PS4 for several more years. The big exclusive PS5 games are coming to PS4 because guess what they were developed for PS4 first. Factor in the pandemic slowing down game production, the economy, and the PS4's massive install base and you have a recipe for the softest console launch ever.

    Also it was just revealed that game sizes are going to be pretty much the same as they are now. With the small SSDs in the new consoles that's not the best news. SSDs are still really expensive too so expanding storage is going to cost an arm and a leg.

    If you have top of the line equipment, a 4K tv with HDMI 2.1 and a HDMI receiver with 7.1 or 3D audio, then sure it makes sense to "upgrade". But for the average gamer? Not really. More expensive games and less storage for what? Slightly sharper graphics and faster load times? Gone are the days of going from say a NES to a Sega Genesis. Now that was an upgrade!

    A "cash grab"? Sony, selling PS5 systems at $399 / $499 (for digital only, optical drive, respectfully). They are likely losing $200+ on every system sold.

    I only currently have a 1080p setup, with plans of eventually upgrading to 4K, but even on 1080p, the upgrade in visuals is very apparent. Just watch, the Ratchet & Clank A Rift in Time, Horizon Forbidden West, or Spider-Man Miles Morales trailers, and you will immediately see a generational leap in visuals. Especially in Miles Morales, if you've played through Spider-Man, on the PS4 Pro. You'll see it's running at 60fps, you'll notice flashier, and more particle effects, impressive volumetric fog/clouds, ray traced reflections in the puddles, and many more on screen people/cars, and that's just the start.
    https://youtu.be/T03PxxuCfDA

    The audio (Tempest 3D audio) can be taken advantage of with any set of quality headphones, and connected to the DualSense controller as well.

    Video and audio enhancements aside, you are getting some real game changers here, quite literally. The fast (up to) 9GB/sec transfer rate is going to eliminate all in game loading. Not only that, but developers will no longer have to add pointless sections in games (narrow pathways where you slowly crawl through, and lengthy stairs to climb, long elevator rides, etc). Graphical assets will not have to be duplicated over and over again to speed up HDD caching. This can greatly reduce file/disc sizes. Those assets can just be drawn on the fly, as needed.

    Then you have PSVR. If you're into that, it's going to be fully supported on the PS5. You should get Pro performance, on the many PSVR games that support the enhancements. They are also likely going to release an upgraded PSVR 2.0 unit for it.

    The DualSense controller is said to be very impressive as well. Precise haptic feedback, adaptive triggers, and other upgrades, will round it out.

    And sure, a few games are getting PS4 ports, but they were developed in tandem with the PS5 versions. They will lack a lot of the upgrades that the PS5 will see. Ratchet & Clank A Drift Apart would not work since it's relying a lot on the high bandwidth transfer rates for it's play.

    As far as the NES to Genesis comparison, it was more about on screen colors, and sprites back then. Though, I could point out a few late generation NES games, which are more impressive than early Genesis releases. I have no doubt that the jump from PS4 to PS5 system, will be much more impressive, than that of the PS3 to PS4. We have only just seen the start of what's possible. Wait until they've started pushing A.I. upscaling techniques, and more optimized ray tracing. It's going to be exciting. I also hope we see a new Zen FX4 engine, and hopefully get a free upgrade and import of our tables to it.
    Last edited by spoonman; Today at 12:49 AM.

  12. #12
    Senior Member Firefox2000's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Glasgow
    Posts
    235
    My Devices
    PC(Steam).
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gameaddict4life View Post
    I'm starting to feel like all these "next gen" consoles are just a cash grab, at least for the first few years. Sony will be supporting the PS4 for several more years. The big exclusive PS5 games are coming to PS4 because guess what they were developed for PS4 first. Factor in the pandemic slowing down game production, the economy, and the PS4's massive install base and you have a recipe for the softest console launch ever.

    Also it was just revealed that game sizes are going to be pretty much the same as they are now. With the small SSDs in the new consoles that's not the best news. SSDs are still really expensive too so expanding storage is going to cost an arm and a leg.

    If you have top of the line equipment, a 4K tv with HDMI 2.1 and a HDMI receiver with 7.1 or 3D audio, then sure it makes sense to "upgrade". But for the average gamer? Not really. More expensive games and less storage for what? Slightly sharper graphics and faster load times? Gone are the days of going from say a NES to a Sega Genesis. Now that was an upgrade!
    Cash grab is a understatment, i don't know about other parts of the world but here in the UK the price for one of these new PS5/XBS games are starting at £70 and upwards for the basic editions, then they will sell you the season pass, and expect seaosn passes to now cost what a new game cost on the last gen consoles, then they will no doubt add more DLC outside those season pass because they got away with it last gen, then patch in MT as they did to last gen games........... the gaming industry is a utter mess at this time, i will be waiting to see what happens once the smoke thins but i doubt here in the UK £70 a pop is going to make them a success.
    Steam: The Omega Man
    XBox: The Omega M4n

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •