Pinball Arcade and Stern Arcade PS4 running on the PS5

spoonman

Apr 20, 2012
I wasn't sure if this has been discussed yet, but with the PS5 system only a few months away, I have been thinking about this. Hopefully it can be sorted out since I plan on replacing my launch model PS4 with a PS5, and would like to continue playing pinball on it.

Also, with the higher clock frequency of the PS5, we should see see improved performance for all PS4 titles, from what I understand. They should all be running as if they were on a PS4 Pro.

This seems to explain it better:

PS5 Boost Mode & How It Affects Backwards Compatibility
While PS5 backwards compatibility has been confirmed to support nearly every PS4 title on the market when the machine launches during holiday 2020, there are issues surrounding how the PS5 will make enhancements to these games, thanks in no small part to how this new boost mode functionality works.

Long story short – by using ‘boost’ the PS5 strays away from the mode0 and mode1 emulation presets that allow it to perfectly mimic the PS4 and PS4 Pro specifications (hence the near 99% compatibility with PS4 titles on day one), forcing the console to run PS4 titles at speeds far faster than they were ever intended to.

Because of this, Sony engineers are having to work on a case-by-case basis to make select PS4 titles work with PS5’s boost spec, deciding to do this by focusing on the top 100 PS4 titles as decided by total playtime. This means while you can probably expect lots of first-party exclusives such as Days Gone, God of War and Gran Turismo Sport to be supported alongside the likes of Call of Duty, Grand Theft Auto V and Red Dead Redemption 2, many superb (but less played) titles will unfortunately not benefit from the enhanced treatment – at least not right away.
source: https://www.psu.com/news/ps5-boost-mode-explained-how-it-enhances-ps5-ps4-games/

Mar 9, 2012
Haha.. no! PS4 games will still need some tweaks to be able to play on the PS5 and there's no chance farsight is going to do anything with TPA for it to work on PS5.

spoonman

Apr 20, 2012
Haha.. no! PS4 games will still need some tweaks to be able to play on the PS5 and there's no chance farsight is going to do anything with TPA for it to work on PS5.

I think most indie games, and those which didn't tax the PS4, will be fine on the PS5, without the need for tweaking. I also think Sony has a large team that's going through all of the titles, to ensure they all (eventually) work smoothly. I wouldn't worry too much.

Rayder

Mar 21, 2014
Honestly, TPA is the one game that I will watch here closely for reports of it working correctly or not once PS5 is released.

tandigab

Feb 15, 2018

Official Announcement.
Our longstanding licenses for the Williams and Bally pinball trademarks will finally come to an end on June 30th, 2018. Therefore, after this date tables from these manufacturers will no longer be offered for sale within the Pinball Arcade. However, customers who purchased any of these tables prior to the deadline will continue to own them and have access to them within the Pinball Arcade, and we will continue to support them as we do the other tables in our collection. This change will affect all of our devices and platforms.

So if you’ve ever been interested in owning these great tables, please purchase them now, before they disappear!

FarSight will continue to release new tables for the Pinball Arcade. We are excited to announce that Season 8 will launch later this summer and will feature all of the recent Stern tables in Stern Pinball Arcade along with several new tables.

We’d like to sincerely thank all of our customers and fans over the past decade. Your amazing support of our game has helped build the Pinball Arcade into the greatest pinball simulation of all time. Pinball forever!

Firefox2000

Apr 18, 2013
I wasn't sure if this has been discussed yet, but with the PS5 system only a few months away, I have been thinking about this. Hopefully it can be sorted out since I plan on replacing my launch model PS4 with a PS5, and would like to continue playing pinball on it.

Also, with the higher clock frequency of the PS5, we should see see improved performance for all PS4 titles, from what I understand. They should all be running as if they were on a PS4 Pro.

This seems to explain it better:

source: https://www.psu.com/news/ps5-boost-mode-explained-how-it-enhances-ps5-ps4-games/

Sony have been very ambiguious on the whole BC issue with the PS5, but even if you remove that for the moment i doubt you will see PBA appear on the platform as the title is dead and PB no longer have the licences for most of the tables in the PBA app to allow them to make them work on the new platform, and seeing as the PS5 BC is not running via ps4 hardware it just adds another nail into the coffin of the PBA version of the PS4 tables ever being being able to run on the PS5, but the biggest issue here is the table licences.

spoonman

Apr 20, 2012
Sony have been very ambiguious on the whole BC issue with the PS5, but even if you remove that for the moment i doubt you will see PBA appear on the platform as the title is dead and PB no longer have the licences for most of the tables in the PBA app to allow them to make them work on the new platform, and seeing as the PS5 BC is not running via ps4 hardware it just adds another nail into the coffin of the PBA version of the PS4 tables ever being being able to run on the PS5, but the biggest issue here is the table licences.

I still think there is a good chance of it working on the PS5. PlayStation CEO Jim Ryan reiterated that 99% of PS4 games will be working on the new console.

"Ryan also said that of the thousands of games tested for PS4 backwards compatibility, “99 percent” can be played on the next console." source: https://www.washingtonpost.com/video-games/2020/09/16/ps5-retail-units/ And Farsight wouldn't have to do a thing if it runs in legacy PS4 mode. I assume you would just download it on the PS5's Download List/Library.

I suppose we'll see. I was lucky to have grabbed a PS5 from BestBuy, hours after they were said to have sold out.

Last edited:

Firefox2000

Apr 18, 2013
^^Ryan also said PS5 games were being built from the ground up and can't be run on anything other than PS5 hardware, and has been spouting that stance since feb of this year........then Ryan this week announced those PS5 games to appear on the PS4, so take it all with a pinch of salt until you pop your disc into the PS5 and it runs, i mean it would be great if it did, but don't bet your home on it. lol

Oct 15, 2013
^^Ryan also said PS5 games were being built from the ground up and can't be run on anything other than PS5 hardware, and has been spouting that stance since feb of this year........then Ryan this week announced those PS5 games to appear on the PS4, so take it all with a pinch of salt until you pop your disc into the PS5 and it runs, i mean it would be great if it did, but don't bet your home on it. lol

I'm starting to feel like all these "next gen" consoles are just a cash grab, at least for the first few years. Sony will be supporting the PS4 for several more years. The big exclusive PS5 games are coming to PS4 because guess what they were developed for PS4 first. Factor in the pandemic slowing down game production, the economy, and the PS4's massive install base and you have a recipe for the softest console launch ever.

Also it was just revealed that game sizes are going to be pretty much the same as they are now. With the small SSDs in the new consoles that's not the best news. SSDs are still really expensive too so expanding storage is going to cost an arm and a leg.

If you have top of the line equipment, a 4K tv with HDMI 2.1 and a HDMI receiver with 7.1 or 3D audio, then sure it makes sense to "upgrade". But for the average gamer? Not really. More expensive games and less storage for what? Slightly sharper graphics and faster load times? Gone are the days of going from say a NES to a Sega Genesis. Now that was an upgrade!

Tabe

Apr 12, 2012
you have a recipe for the softest console launch ever.
Not a chance. Pre-orders for the PS5 sell out seconds after they go up. They will sell millions of units. Same for Xbox.

And, incidentally, you're making the same exact same arguments people made when we went from PS3 to PS4.

spoonman

Apr 20, 2012
I'm starting to feel like all these "next gen" consoles are just a cash grab, at least for the first few years. Sony will be supporting the PS4 for several more years. The big exclusive PS5 games are coming to PS4 because guess what they were developed for PS4 first. Factor in the pandemic slowing down game production, the economy, and the PS4's massive install base and you have a recipe for the softest console launch ever.

Also it was just revealed that game sizes are going to be pretty much the same as they are now. With the small SSDs in the new consoles that's not the best news. SSDs are still really expensive too so expanding storage is going to cost an arm and a leg.

If you have top of the line equipment, a 4K tv with HDMI 2.1 and a HDMI receiver with 7.1 or 3D audio, then sure it makes sense to "upgrade". But for the average gamer? Not really. More expensive games and less storage for what? Slightly sharper graphics and faster load times? Gone are the days of going from say a NES to a Sega Genesis. Now that was an upgrade!

A "cash grab"? Sony, selling PS5 systems at $399 / $499 (for digital only, optical drive, respectfully). They are likely losing $200+ on every system sold.

I only currently have a 1080p setup, with plans of eventually upgrading to 4K, but even on 1080p, the upgrade in visuals is very apparent. Just watch, the Ratchet & Clank A Rift in Time, Horizon Forbidden West, or Spider-Man Miles Morales trailers, and you will immediately see a generational leap in visuals. Especially in Miles Morales, if you've played through Spider-Man, on the PS4 Pro. You'll see it's running at 60fps, you'll notice flashier, and more particle effects, impressive volumetric fog/clouds, ray traced reflections in the puddles, and many more on screen people/cars, and that's just the start.
https://youtu.be/T03PxxuCfDA

The audio (Tempest 3D audio) can be taken advantage of with any set of quality headphones, and connected to the DualSense controller as well.

Video and audio enhancements aside, you are getting some real game changers here, quite literally. The fast (up to) 9GB/sec transfer rate is going to eliminate all in game loading. Not only that, but developers will no longer have to add pointless sections in games (narrow pathways where you slowly crawl through, and lengthy stairs to climb, long elevator rides, etc). Graphical assets will not have to be duplicated over and over again to speed up HDD caching. This can greatly reduce file/disc sizes. Those assets can just be drawn on the fly, as needed.

Then you have PSVR. If you're into that, it's going to be fully supported on the PS5. You should get Pro performance, on the many PSVR games that support the enhancements. They are also likely going to release an upgraded PSVR 2.0 unit for it.

The DualSense controller is said to be very impressive as well. Precise haptic feedback, adaptive triggers, and other upgrades, will round it out.

And sure, a few games are getting PS4 ports, but they were developed in tandem with the PS5 versions. They will lack a lot of the upgrades that the PS5 will see. Ratchet & Clank A Drift Apart would not work since it's relying a lot on the high bandwidth transfer rates for it's play.

As far as the NES to Genesis comparison, it was more about on screen colors, and sprites back then. Though, I could point out a few late generation NES games, which are more impressive than early Genesis releases. I have no doubt that the jump from PS4 to PS5 system, will be much more impressive, than that of the PS3 to PS4. We have only just seen the start of what's possible. Wait until they've started pushing A.I. upscaling techniques, and more optimized ray tracing. It's going to be exciting. I also hope we see a new Zen FX4 engine, and hopefully get a free upgrade and import of our tables to it.

Last edited:

Firefox2000

Apr 18, 2013

Cash grab is a understatment, i don't know about other parts of the world but here in the UK the price for one of these new PS5/XBS games are starting at £70 and upwards for the basic editions, then they will sell you the season pass, and expect seaosn passes to now cost what a new game cost on the last gen consoles, then they will no doubt add more DLC outside those season pass because they got away with it last gen, then patch in MT as they did to last gen games........... the gaming industry is a utter mess at this time, i will be waiting to see what happens once the smoke thins but i doubt here in the UK £70 a pop is going to make them a success.

Oct 15, 2013
Yes the pre-orders will sell out but that's the diehard fans. I'm talking about overall console sales going into 2021. PS4 has over 100 million users, Xbox One 50 million or so, Nintendo Switch is going past 60 million I think and climbing rapidly All the systems are selling like crazy and have been for several months. The new systems will have what, 15 or 20 million, maybe 30 million each well into 2021. If the pandemic continues that could cause supply problems as well.

Oct 15, 2013
A "cash grab"? Sony, selling PS5 systems at $399 / $499 (for digital only, optical drive, respectfully). They are likely losing $200+ on every system sold.

I only currently have a 1080p setup, with plans of eventually upgrading to 4K, but even on 1080p, the upgrade in visuals is very apparent. Just watch, the Ratchet & Clank A Rift in Time, Horizon Forbidden West, or Spider-Man Miles Morales trailers, and you will immediately see a generational leap in visuals. Especially in Miles Morales, if you've played through Spider-Man, on the PS4 Pro. You'll see it's running at 60fps, you'll notice flashier, and more particle effects, impressive volumetric fog/clouds, ray traced reflections in the puddles, and many more on screen people/cars, and that's just the start.
https://youtu.be/T03PxxuCfDA

The audio (Tempest 3D audio) can be taken advantage of with any set of quality headphones, and connected to the DualSense controller as well.

Video and audio enhancements aside, you are getting some real game changers here, quite literally. The fast (up to) 9GB/sec transfer rate is going to eliminate all in game loading. Not only that, but developers will no longer have to add pointless sections in games (narrow pathways where you slowly crawl through, and lengthy stairs to climb, long elevator rides, etc). Graphical assets will not have to be duplicated over and over again to speed up HDD caching. This can greatly reduce file/disc sizes. Those assets can just be drawn on the fly, as needed.

Then you have PSVR. If you're into that, it's going to be fully supported on the PS5. You should get Pro performance, on the many PSVR games that support the enhancements. They are also likely going to release an upgraded PSVR 2.0 unit for it.

The DualSense controller is said to be very impressive as well. Precise haptic feedback, adaptive triggers, and other upgrades, will round it out.

And sure, a few games are getting PS4 ports, but they were developed in tandem with the PS5 versions. They will lack a lot of the upgrades that the PS5 will see. Ratchet & Clank A Drift Apart would not work since it's relying a lot on the high bandwidth transfer rates for it's play.

As far as the NES to Genesis comparison, it was more about on screen colors, and sprites back then. Though, I could point out a few late generation NES games, which are more impressive than early Genesis releases. I have no doubt that the jump from PS4 to PS5 system, will be much more impressive, than that of the PS3 to PS4. We have only just seen the start of what's possible. Wait until they've started pushing A.I. upscaling techniques, and more optimized ray tracing. It's going to be exciting. I also hope we see a new Zen FX4 engine, and hopefully get a free upgrade and import of our tables to it.

Well if these companies are losing money on the new consoles why put them out? The current consoles are nearly impossible to get right now and have been for several months because they are flying off the shelves. They should have delayed the new consoles until at least 2021. There's really no reason to release them this year. Are console players going to switch to PC this holiday if there isn't a new console to buy? I don't think so. If I was a stockholder in these companies I wouldn't be too pleased. Yes it's true that new consoles are loss leaders for these companies, have been for years, but to put them out this year is silly. The current gen stuff is selling incredibly well and at a higher profit margin than the next gen stuff will. It really is a head scratching decision. I understand this was the plan but would it have been more costly to have delayed the launches? Not to mention that would give the devs more time to create truly "next gen" experiences. It will take a few years for the devs to really take advantage of the hardware, as it always does. I don't really see any pros in being an early adopter. Especially this console cycle.

Last edited:

spoonman

Apr 20, 2012
Well if these companies are losing money on the new consoles why put them out? The current consoles are nearly impossible to get right now and have been for several months because they are flying off the shelves. They should have delayed the new consoles until at least 2021. There's really no reason to release them this year. Are console players going to switch to PC this holiday if there isn't a new console to buy? I don't think so. If I was a stockholder in these companies I wouldn't be too pleased. Yes it's true that new consoles are loss leaders for these companies, have been for years, but to put them out this year is silly. The current gen stuff is selling incredibly well and at a higher profit margin than the next gen stuff will. It really is a head scratching decision. I understand this was the plan but would it have been more costly to have delayed the launches? Not to mention that would give the devs more time to create truly "next gen" experiences. It will take a few years for the devs to really take advantage of the hardware, as it always does. I don't really see any pros in being an early adopter. Especially this console cycle.

Sony has stated that they will have 15 million PS5 systems out to retailers by the end of 2020. This is unprecedented. The PS4 launch was considered largely ramped up, and that was 7 million units. PS5's are selling out, stockholders should be very, very, happy.

It's also common for game systems to sell for no profit, or even at a loss. They will make it back on software.
The PS4 is 7 years old. This is about the current lifespan for a modern console. Sure, some games still look good for it, but you can see that they are starting to show their age. New advancements, with ray tracing techniques, higher refresh rates, and more, will make it easier for all companies, many of which, who don't have the resources to tweak and push the hardware to where the system sounds like a jet engine (Naughty Dog, and Santa Monica). RT will properly reflect, and make simple work of it.

If you're still happy with the PS4, or whatever other console, then stick with it, but I like to see where they can go with the PS5. The idea of never waiting for a game to load...ever, better game design, actual fast travel, a brand new 3D audio engine, interesting new DualSense controller options, 4K Blu-Ray disc movie support, PS4 b/c, and much more for $100 more than I paid for a PS4 in 2013 sounds fine by me.

Oct 15, 2013
I wonder how crossplay will work. For instance, the latest Call of Duty will have crossplay between the current gen systems and the new ones along with PC. If the game loads faster on the PS5 how will PS5 players play with PS4 players and others? I think the next gen players will have to wait for everybody else on the other platforms before the game will start. I'm just saying it will take some time before all of this is implemented. I also wonder if Sony will make a smaller version of the console. Apparently this is the biggest home console in terms of size ever made.

I think the Xbox Series S may be the best bang for your buck out of the available options, especially for a 1080p set. GamePass seems like a pretty good value. I've enjoyed Sony exclusives this gen but the new stuff just doesn't interest me. Frankly none of the new next gen games interest me. If the Xbox has the best performance for third party titles then that's appealing to me. Combine that with GamePass and it's pretty tempting. An all digital console kind of turns me off though. Also Microsoft's payment plans may give them a real edge this holiday. Games as a service vs pay up for a traditional brand driven exclusive experience. It will be interesting to see what is more successful. Also will the all digital consoles do well enough to usher in an all digital future for console gaming next next generation?

Firefox2000

Apr 18, 2013
Sony has stated that they will have 15 million PS5 systems out to retailers by the end of 2020. This is unprecedented. The PS4 launch was considered largely ramped up, and that was 7 million units. PS5's are selling out, stockholders should be very, very, happy.

It's also common for game systems to sell for no profit, or even at a loss. They will make it back on software.
The PS4 is 7 years old. This is about the current lifespan for a modern console. Sure, some games still look good for it, but you can see that they are starting to show their age. New advancements, with ray tracing techniques, higher refresh rates, and more, will make it easier for all companies, many of which, who don't have the resources to tweak and push the hardware to where the system sounds like a jet engine (Naughty Dog, and Santa Monica). RT will properly reflect, and make simple work of it.

If you're still happy with the PS4, or whatever other console, then stick with it, but I like to see where they can go with the PS5. The idea of never waiting for a game to load...ever, better game design, actual fast travel, a brand new 3D audio engine, interesting new DualSense controller options, 4K Blu-Ray disc movie support, PS4 b/c, and much more for $100 more than I paid for a PS4 in 2013 sounds fine by me.

This has been Sony's war chant since the announced the PS5, they even had a hour long presentation on the hardware and how it was being built for next gen and how the specoal SSD speeds could not even be acheived on a PC, then last week they announced PS5 games were also coming to the PS4, so now after all this time or hyping up "only avalible on the special PS5 hardware" then then tell everyone those PS5 games will be held back by having to run on hardware that is 7 years old, i mean Sony want you to buy their PS5, but they won't give a 100% guarantee of 100% back compat, but they also won't let go of those 100 million plus 7 year old console owners, i mean it is a right old mess and one of their own making. lol

Oct 15, 2013
This has been Sony's war chant since the announced the PS5, they even had a hour long presentation on the hardware and how it was being built for next gen and how the specoal SSD speeds could not even be acheived on a PC, then last week they announced PS5 games were also coming to the PS4, so now after all this time or hyping up "only avalible on the special PS5 hardware" then then tell everyone those PS5 games will be held back by having to run on hardware that is 7 years old, i mean Sony want you to buy their PS5, but they won't give a 100% guarantee of 100% back compat, but they also won't let go of those 100 million plus 7 year old console owners, i mean it is a right old mess and one of their own making. lol

Yep. The truth is the consoles are now just PCs. Going from PS3 to PS4 was different because the PS3 used a unique cell processor. The PS4 and Xbox One are just x86 machines. The PS5 and Xbox Series S/X are x86 machines. So the same games can run on both just with with different graphical settings. So this "generation" there's no real reason to leave the already established install bases behind. This also means that BC should be baked in going forward. So the PS6 should be able to play PS4 and PS5 games, etc. There is this perception that supporting the older consoles will hold back the new games. I don't think that's true. It's not true in PC gaming. You just adjust your settings in the game based on your rig. This should be a win for the gamer because no matter what platform you are on you can play the latest games, at least for a while. I suspect big first party games will release on both PS5 and PS4 for a long time. Same goes for Xbox. So hooray for x86 architecture! The consoles have finally caught up to PC gaming. Scalability for the win!

Pete

Jul 16, 2012
at first i was absolutley set on getting a ps5, cuz Spider-Man... and now today the news is xbox is in the process (not 100% finalized yet) of yoikin' ownership of bethesda and making them xbox/pc exclusive... which messes me all up cuz a new Elder Scrolls may finally see the light of day this gen... and if fallout 5 gets made this gen then oh man i needs me that too... which throws a total wrench into my dreams of sweet spider-man thwip'n... and thats not cool... and maybe their starcrap game will be cool i dunno, maybe, but i dont really care about that in my head yet... so crap what the hell man :/ i guess maybe ps5 and one of those shinney new nvidia cards for playing the bethesda games on pc??? im just sort of hopin' the deal goes bunk and bethesda stays multiconsole... anyways off topic rant but yeah i hope tpa works on ps5 too that would be cool.

EldarOfSuburbia

Feb 8, 2014
at first i was absolutley set on getting a ps5, cuz Spider-Man... and now today the news is xbox is in the process (not 100% finalized yet) of yoikin' ownership of bethesda and making them xbox/pc exclusive... which messes me all up cuz a new Elder Scrolls may finally see the light of day this gen... and if fallout 5 gets made this gen then oh man i needs me that too... which throws a total wrench into my dreams of sweet spider-man thwip'n... and thats not cool... and maybe their starcrap game will be cool i dunno, maybe, but i dont really care about that in my head yet... so crap what the hell man :/ i guess maybe ps5 and one of those shinney new nvidia cards for playing the bethesda games on pc??? im just sort of hopin' the deal goes bunk and bethesda stays multiconsole... anyways off topic rant but yeah i hope tpa works on ps5 too that would be cool.
I seriously doubt MS has any plans to make any ZeniMax games (they bought the company that owns BSG et al) exclusive to PC/XBox. That would be financial suicide. There might be timed exclusives on DLC, and early access through Game Pass, but same-day release on all platforms for all major titles will not be going away.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.