Pinball Arcade and Stern Arcade PS4 running on the PS5

The loafer

Oct 28, 2012
There is logic to support both the "exclusive" and "no exclusives" POV. I think we have to remember that although MS wants to sell games, they really want to sell an ecosystem. This is the reason why gamepass is available on PC and why their cloud service is available on Android. But the biggest gateway to that ecosystem is the Xbox console so yeah, you damn right they will sacrifice early on some initial sales to get people to buy into their console. I think all of these will be timed exclusives, IE: it will eventually release on PS5 but probably a year down the road but initially? PC/Xbox and cloud service, at least for some titles.

trash80

Dec 14, 2018
I seriously doubt MS has any plans to make any ZeniMax games (they bought the company that owns BSG et al) exclusive to PC/XBox. That would be financial suicide. There might be timed exclusives on DLC, and early access through Game Pass, but same-day release on all platforms for all major titles will not be going away.

To answer the question everyone is asking: Phil Spencer tells @dinabass that Xbox plans to honor the PS5 exclusivity commitment for Deathloop and Ghostwire: Tokyo.
Future Bethesda games will be on Xbox, PC, and "other consoles on a case by case basis."

“This is an awesome time to be an Xbox fan. In the last 10 days alone, we’ve released details on our two new consoles which go on pre-order tomorrow, launched cloud gaming in Xbox Game Pass Ultimate, and now we’re making another investment in the most critical part of our strategy: the games,” said Phil Spencer, executive vice president, Gaming at Microsoft. “Generations of gamers have been captivated by the renowned franchises in the Bethesda portfolio and will continue to be so for years to come as part of Xbox.”

Game Pass and Xbox/PC releases will be one and the same going forward and all Zenimax dev studios (Bethesda, id, Arkane, etc.) developed titles will be no different than a First Party release. The continued value of the Zenimax IP is what Microsoft purchased and they will be using it to force people into the Xbox and Windows 10 ecosystem.

Last edited:

EldarOfSuburbia

Feb 8, 2014
It seems from what I'm reading that MS are far more interesting in getting people to sign up for Game Pass, and play on whatever device they want. A monthly Game Pass subscription makes far more profit for MS than an XBox sale. GaaS (Games as a Service) is their big bet for the next gen. Time will tell.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

trash80

Dec 14, 2018
It seems from what I'm reading that MS are far more interesting in getting people to sign up for Game Pass, and play on whatever device they want. A monthly Game Pass subscription makes far more profit for MS than an XBox sale. GaaS (Games as a Service) is their big bet for the next gen. Time will tell.

If by whatever device they want means Xbox, Windows 10 PC (and MAC in some cases), Android and iOS phones/tablets. We have already seen Microsoft do this with previous service oriented campaigns, and I'm not sure that even if Microsoft was on board with Nintendo and Sony consoles having Game Pass ready games that either of those companies would welcome it. Games as a service has been a thing since the Sega channel (and maybe before) and the wheels that are in motion with Game Pass have been in place since Games for Windows Live was put out to pasture and the Work and Play Bundle got discontinued yet again. This goes far beyond the next-gen consoles and you may be surprised to see just how far Microsoft is planning to go this time.

Can I order from Walmart with Alexa?

Pete

Jul 16, 2012
game pass suck lol... streaming games ruins the 100% crispyness of seeing it rendered raw. i am highly skeptical the games will look anywhere near as amazing when they are compressed into a streaming video codec, espeshially if your going for 4k. also sega genesis rules!!!! if only the sega channel wasnt a worthless brick today ha

Jun 29, 2013
game pass suck lol... streaming games ruins the 100% crispyness of seeing it rendered raw. i am highly skeptical the games will look anywhere near as amazing when they are compressed into a streaming video codec, espeshially if your going for 4k.

That's why you just download the game from Game Pass and then you don't need to stream it.

EldarOfSuburbia

Feb 8, 2014
Had a look at what Game Pass has to offer for $9.99/mo (for PC, not getting an XBox), and not impressed enough.to consider it. Sticking with NSO ($34.99/yr, worth it for Tetris 99 and the NES/SNES collections alone).

trash80

Dec 14, 2018
Had a look at what Game Pass has to offer for $9.99/mo (for PC, not getting an XBox), and not impressed enough.to consider it. Sticking with NSO ($34.99/yr, worth it for Tetris 99 and the NES/SNES collections alone).

It may be worth the $1 cost for the first month for Ultimate to play through a few games (on Android too) and then cancel before it renews for the next month.

EldarOfSuburbia

Feb 8, 2014
It may be worth the $1 cost for the first month for Ultimate to play through a few games (on Android too) and then cancel before it renews for the next month.
Not with Baldur's Gate 3 hitting Early Access in a couple of weeks, and new Civ 6 content tomorrow, it isn't :)

The loafer

Oct 28, 2012
Hope I'm not repeating myself but at last years E3, they had a ridiculous special to try and convince people to Join gamepass: for a one time fee of $1, they would upgrade your existing XBL access to include gamepass. So like a few other people, I renewed my XBL access to the max length (3 years) and for $1 I now have full gamepass access for both XBOX and PC. Keep in mind I was going to renew my XBL access anyway so it's not like I spent more. Well I did, $1 :)

It's convenient, having a lot of fun with MS Flight Simulator 2020 at zero charge extra. Gamepass is great for what it is. It's not for everyone but hey that's cool.

spoonman

Apr 20, 2012
This has been Sony's war chant since the announced the PS5, they even had a hour long presentation on the hardware and how it was being built for next gen and how the specoal SSD speeds could not even be acheived on a PC, then last week they announced PS5 games were also coming to the PS4, so now after all this time or hyping up "only avalible on the special PS5 hardware" then then tell everyone those PS5 games will be held back by having to run on hardware that is 7 years old, i mean Sony want you to buy their PS5, but they won't give a 100% guarantee of 100% back compat, but they also won't let go of those 100 million plus 7 year old console owners, i mean it is a right old mess and one of their own making. lol

Nothing is being "held back" by having a port on the PS4. They are of course optimized for the PS5, and then scaled down to work on the PS4. Think of it like a PC game with the settings set to "low detail", lower resolution, "advanced ray tracing: off", and so on. If you own a PS4 and don't want to take advatange of the newer advancements, then stick with it. There will likely be a few more AAA releases for the next 3-4 years.

It's like this with almost every console launch. There were lots of games which saw older hardware releases, alongside newly launch games PS3/PS4/360/XBO ports. Some of them (Resogun, a PS4 launch title) even came out to the PS3 over a year later. It ran slower, and at 720p, but they didn't want to ignore the millions of PS3 owners.

Make no mistake though, games such as Horizon: Forbidden West, and Spider-Man Miles Morales, will take full advantage of the PS5 hardware. This should include: no loading times, instant fast travel, ray traced graphics, a 60fps mode, Tempest 3D spacial audio system, likely a smaller file/disc size (since assets won't have to be redrawn hundreds/thousands of times), and of course, the DualSense controller enhancements (adaptive triggers, haptic feedback).

There will be games which integrate the fast SSD/bandwidth into the gameplay, which can't be ported to the PS4, such as Ratchet & Clank A Drift Apart. A game like that would have long, game breaking, loading every time Ratchet enters a portal. I'm sure more and more developers will take advantage of the new hardware as time goes on.

spoonman

Apr 20, 2012
This has been Sony's war chant since the announced the PS5, they even had a hour long presentation on the hardware and how it was being built for next gen and how the specoal SSD speeds could not even be acheived on a PC, then last week they announced PS5 games were also coming to the PS4, so now after all this time or hyping up "only avalible on the special PS5 hardware" then then tell everyone those PS5 games will be held back by having to run on hardware that is 7 years old, i mean Sony want you to buy their PS5, but they won't give a 100% guarantee of 100% back compat, but they also won't let go of those 100 million plus 7 year old console owners, i mean it is a right old mess and one of their own making. lol

GamePass seems decent, but Plus is a better deal for me. I've been a Plus member since the beginning. I now have over 700 free PSN games available to me, with new ones being added each month. I also stacked 10 years worth of Plus when it was only $22/year. So I can't complain about that. I consider the games to be free, while paying for online play, 2TB of cloud saves, and more.

Firefox2000

Apr 18, 2013
Hope I'm not repeating myself but at last years E3, they had a ridiculous special to try and convince people to Join gamepass: for a one time fee of $1, they would upgrade your existing XBL access to include gamepass. So like a few other people, I renewed my XBL access to the max length (3 years) and for $1 I now have full gamepass access for both XBOX and PC. Keep in mind I was going to renew my XBL access anyway so it's not like I spent more. Well I did, $1 :)

It's convenient, having a lot of fun with MS Flight Simulator 2020 at zero charge extra. Gamepass is great for what it is. It's not for everyone but hey that's cool.

Ha, i did the same, i had just stacked 3 years of Gold when they announced the £1 thing, and that was ayear ago, and i still have 2 years left of UGP, plus they are giving you MS reward points just for playing games, so i also have 35,000 in MS reward points and it just keeps climbing......love it....but even better is that i almost have 90% of my xbox 360 library now on the XBX, plus some of those titles have been enhanced to 4k, and MS announced recently that all xbox 360 games on the new XSX will have HDr support and 4k, i mean this is how you do BC, love it.

Last edited:

spoonman

Apr 20, 2012
Ha, i did the same, i had just stacked 3 years of Gold when they announced the £1 thing, and that was ayear ago, and i still have 2 years left of UGP, plus they are giving you MS reward points just for playing games, so i also have 35,000 in MS reward points and it just keeps climbing......love it....but even better is that i almost have 90% of my xbox 360 library now on the XBX, plus some of those titles have been enhanced to 4k, and MS announced recently that all xbox 360 games on the new XSX will have HDr support and 4k, i mean this is how you do BC, love it.

While it's nice that Microsoft is still supporting some degree of backwards compatibility, it's still not complete backwards compatibility. For me personally, if all of my games aren't supported, I leave the original consoles set up. (I currently have 18 of them on a rack). Sony had the right idea with the launch PS3. Just include the original hardware to play nearly every PS1 & PS2 game, with PS2 accuracy, thank to the Emotion Engine inclusion, unfortunately it was a price issue, with the PS3 selling for $600, they had to rethink that strategy.

I really wish the Xbox Series X supported the full set of original Xbox games, since those were my favorites, but it appears to still only support 39 of the 700+ releases. IIRC, the Series X is going to support only the games which were already backwards compatible with the Xbox One X. Maybe they'll add more classic Xbox support. That would be a good thing.

Firefox2000

Apr 18, 2013
^^Here in the UK/EU Sony removed all PS2 bc form the PS3 at launch over here, and for anyone who decided to gain BC back via installing linux for adding emulators on their PS3 Sony removed that also, so BC wise Sony over here have been complete ***hats, but they will of course sell you £40 remasters. lol

Jake_Ry4n

Oct 9, 2018
game pass suck lol... streaming games ruins the 100% crispyness of seeing it rendered raw. i am highly skeptical the games will look anywhere near as amazing when they are compressed into a streaming video codec, espeshially if your going for 4k. also sega genesis rules!!!! if only the sega channel wasnt a worthless brick today ha

You prove time and time again that you have absolutely NO IDEA what spews out of your mouth. If you're that clueless can you do us a favor and zip it?

Mar 9, 2012
If you goto the sony store and look at pinball arcade.. it says this..

Description

When playing on PS5, this game may exhibit errors or unexpected behavior and some features available on PS4 may be absent. To play this game on PS5, your system may need to be updated to the latest system software. See PlayStation.com/bc for more details.

--

Pinball FX and Zac say this..

To play this game on PS5, your system may need to be updated to the latest system software. Although this game is playable on PS5, some features available on PS4 may be absent.

So Obviously Pinball Arcade has some issues on the PS5.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.