Zen Williams app Bug?

Lykaion23

Apr 8, 2014
Zen seems to have the best pinball players in there Crew, otherway I couldn't explain why they think on space station easy challenge 5.000.000 points on survival are possible, I tried on star but only got near the 500k for it in one min.

Am I only not good enough or are they messed up

sihumchai

Apr 18, 2019
Alright, so I had a go at it and you're right, it's a pretty **** score to chase.

Top most challenge "easy" - Easy 1 million, normal 15 million (???) and hard ???.

The first section of normal is to 500,000 which is tough, once you get past that it's 1 mil, what the hell :confused:

This challenge is by far the worse since White Water released. Remember those 1 ball challenge with 60 million, then 100 million?

I remember, and you had to play those for parts.

Kerguelan

Jul 12, 2016
I’m currently playing the Dr Dude 5 minute challenge, as the fourth of the daily challenge slots on iOS (I forget what they called since I spent the zen coins to unlock it based on advice here) and managed to clear the easy setting after several goes over a day or two, (with a score of 9.8 million). I am still trying to get close to the medium target of 18 million - the best I’ve managed here is 14.6 million, possibly more by luck than anything else.

On the one hand, I’m enjoying this being more of a challenge again, maybe because I don’t know the table all that well, so I’m learning things as I go, but I also don’t see where that extra few million will come from within the 5 minute time frame. And what will the Hard target score be?

Getting multi ball started early seems to be the key, maybe reflex at the same time, but if one ball drains (Which seems to happen too easily) then it takes too long to build back up again to have enough time to do anything useful, and I think it’s preferable to do that directly by alternating the 2 & 3 targets than by relying on how many hits you get in the Mixmaster.

I do find the survival challenges on some Tables to be a bit frustrating since I seem to keep hitting dry spells in the scoring mid way through the game, and on those the medium challenge can be the hardest, since there are fewer increments between the star groupings, and so the gaps are wider than for the hard challenge, where I usually find the target score is only a little bit higher than the medium one.

But I also don’t want them to reset the target scores, as happened in the early days of the Monster Bash appearing on the daily challenges, where I’d been playing towards an 80million target for the one ball Challenge, only to have the app crash and the next time I tried it I’d passed the 8million target before I’d even realised.

Incidentally, does anyone know how the target scores for the challenges are calculated? I know my best effort on MB One Ball stood at #3 For a long time, but one of the times I’ve run that more recently, I’ve slipped to #4. But unlike the Xbox app where you keep playing past the threshold score, the iOS app stops the game as soon as you clear the target, yet the one ball challenge has never offered me a Hard challenge that’s anywhere near my previous best score (which was 62m, flicking back through my screenshots). Is it weighted to the number or attempts you had to clear the easy & medium challenges, or against the equivalent challenges in the first 3 daily slots, or is it weighted towards a midpoint or median of entries in the leaderboards, and so the targets will be evened out gradually the more we all play?

And another thing - why can’t we see the challenge leaderboards alongside the leaderboards for the combinations of the two physics and tournament settings the way that we used to?

sihumchai

Apr 18, 2019
Incidentally, does anyone know how the target scores for the challenges are calculated? I know my best effort on MB One Ball stood at #3 For a long time, but one of the times I’ve run that more recently, I’ve slipped to #4. But unlike the Xbox app where you keep playing past the threshold score, the iOS app stops the game as soon as you clear the target, yet the one ball challenge has never offered me a Hard challenge that’s anywhere near my previous best score (which was 62m, flicking back through my screenshots). Is it weighted to the number or attempts you had to clear the easy & medium challenges, or against the equivalent challenges in the first 3 daily slots, or is it weighted towards a midpoint or median of entries in the leaderboards, and so the targets will be evened out gradually the more we all play?

I think the challenges have a fixed score just like the issue we posted above (Space Station having 15m for normal on the "easy" challenges), so it's set by Zen, and as for the challenge leaderboards, I think it's just fluff and there isn't really a way to climb it either. I also had a score which was #1 for some time which was probably due to ending the challenge with a big jackpot or something.

On another note, does anyone have difficulties nudging in the Williams app? Like on mine it's unresponsive at times, sometimes you tap the top of the table and it doesn't nudge.

MadScience2006

Oct 5, 2012
On another note, does anyone have difficulties nudging in the Williams app? Like on mine it's unresponsive at times, sometimes you tap the top of the table and it doesn't nudge.

Nudging on Zen's Williams app (iOS) is useless

In the first place, the nudging zone is way too high up on the screen which makes you need lift/move your fingers (away from the flippers) to get up there to even reach it.

In the second place, it's so inconsistent once you make the effort to even reach up there that it's totally pointless.

I was on the pre-release Williams beta (iOS) and complained about this constantly...and no change was every made.

This was one of the areas that The Pinball Arcade blew away Zen's Williams app. The nudging zones on TPA, although pre-configured allowed quite a few different options, they were within easy reach of your flipping thumbs and they always worked.

Last edited:

sihumchai

Apr 18, 2019
Nudging on Zen's Williams app (iOS) is useless

In the first place, the nudging zone is way too high up on the screen which makes you need lift/move your fingers (away from the flippers) to get up there to even reach it.

In the second place, it's so inconsistent once you make the effort to even reach up there that it's totally pointless.

I was on the pre-release Williams beta (iOS) and complained about this constantly...and no change was every made.

This was one of the areas that The Pinball Arcade blew away Zen's Williams app. The nudging zones on TPA, although pre-configured allowed quite a few different options, they were within easy reach of your flipping thumbs and they always worked.

Yes, the word I was looking for was actually inconsistent and not unresponsive. I'm glad I asked this question because I thought it was an isolated case, I also reported this issue to Zen some time back.

I don't get why Zen made the touch nudging on the top of the screen. I can understand that they've been using that method for a long time since Zen Pinball, but it's really too far up and clunky to reach, heck even new/old Zaccaria pinball has nudge controls similar to TPA and I never had issues with nudging (consistency wise).

There are other issues as well which I can understand but ought to be eliminated. Take MM for example (or any tables will ball saves), when you have an early outlane drain and ball save activates once it passes the outlane switch, this disables your flippers and it goes back into plunge mode (right flipper unusable) - so you can't deathsave/bangback efficiently.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.