My Devices
    PS4, PS3, Vita
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Post Zen Studios acquired by Embracer Group

Linky.

Along with other acquired companies, they will operate under Saber Interactive.
    Last edited by joeblow; 11-17-2020 at 10:39 PM.

My Devices
    PC,Xbox One,Kindle Fire HDX
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    With them becoming part of Saber Interactive i hope microtransactions aren't coming to the console and pc versions since NBA Playgrounds 1-2 & WWE Battlegrounds had a bunch of them.

My Devices
    PS4, PS3, Vita
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by KillRideMedley View Post
    With them becoming part of Saber Interactive i hope microtransactions aren't coming to the console and pc versions since NBA Playgrounds 1-2 & WWE Battlegrounds had a bunch of them.
    I dropped Farsight's Pinball Arcade after all of their lying and deceptive antics. I'll drop PFX too if Zen Studios turns the franchise into a micro-transaction mill.

My Devices
    Ipad Pro
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by joeblow View Post
    I dropped Farsight's Pinball Arcade after all of their lying and deceptive antics. I'll drop PFX too if Zen Studios turns the franchise into a micro-transaction mill.
    It says a lot about the state of the industry that this is one of the first concerns to come to mind.

Sent from my motorola one fusion+ using Tapatalk

My Devices
    Mac, Virtual Cabinet (PC)
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh no! Is this a good thing? I suppose it's good if this gives Zen more pull for licensing (in pinball games). However, will Embracer be in charge and make decisions for Zen?

My Devices
    Ipad Pro
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nothing bad ever happens after a company is acquired, does it?

I suppose this speaks to the success of FX3, although I don't know what else Zen does. While I was very unhappy about Farsight losing the rights, I've been very happy with the Zen tables. The gameplay might be better, but the table lighting is damn near perfect!

My Devices
    PC, Cabinet, Mac
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Their acquisition of Dunder Mifflin went well.

My Devices
    IOS/ PC
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The only thing that matters now is the bottom line. What you will get is a bunch of unhappy employees doing a bad job because their employer doesn’t give a damn about them.

My Devices
    Steam, iOS, Oculus Rift
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Embracer has been buying up companies all year. Good or bad, This is part of an announcement of the acquisition of 13! companies and they bought another 7 companies in August and Saber Interactive which is the banner Zen will be under was just acquired at the beginning of the year.

My Devices
    iPad Pro, iPhone X, VPCabs Vertigo
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    According to this (rather rambling) YouTube video, the company was bought out to focus on the development of ... RPG Games!(?). Furthermore, there seems to an incentive clause in the agreement for the development of those types of games over the next 5 years. So this slow trickle of Virtual Pinball tables we’ve experienced from Zen may continue for quite awhile!

If there is some modicum of truth in this YouTube Video (which is based on the verbiage in the buyout agreement) we may end up hoping that the Williams/Bally license ends up reverting back to FarSight Studios. How ironic!!

https://youtu.be/gZVvwNZ4UN0
    覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧-
    Updated most wanted FarSight list: 鉄pirit of 76 (Gottlieb) 鉄impsons (Data East) 釘ig Bang Bar (Capcom)
    Most wanted Zen list: 迭evenge From Mars, 的ndiana Jones, "Terminator 2", "Bad Cats"

My Devices
    PC, Mac, iOS mobile
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don’t think I would hope for that either as Farsight wasn’t doing a very good job in art OR physics and didn’t have the capital to really do things right.

This news does not surprise me at all because Zen has been acting odd all year. I figured they were either about to go out of business or be bought by someone. Looks like I was right.

My hope is that not much changes other than at least a little bump up in release schedules. I would like to see three table packs a year. I think that’s a realistic number.

My Devices
    Ipad Pro
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Scared Stiff View Post
    I don稚 think I would hope for that either as Farsight wasn稚 doing a very good job in art OR physics and didn稚 have the capital to really do things right.

This news does not surprise me at all because Zen has been acting odd all year. I figured they were either about to go out of business or be bought by someone. Looks like I was right.

My hope is that not much changes other than at least a little bump up in release schedules. I would like to see three table packs a year. I think that痴 a realistic number.
    I feel like there was almost some sort of attitude that they felt whatever they were doing was right because it was them doing it. The horrible UI change and so on. It seems like they didn't want to admit their shortcomings. As I mentioned in a previous post, one of the most striking differences to me between the Zen and Farsight visuals is that Zen does proper lighting. Farsight had super bright surfaces that sometimes made the ball hard to spot.

In the end, I'd rather they had the license vs no one at all. Based on what I'm reading from folks here so far, pinball may not be as high on the Zen priority list moving forward.

My Devices
    PS3
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Scared Stiff View Post
    I don’t think I would hope for that either as Farsight wasn’t doing a very good job in art OR physics and didn’t have the capital to really do things right.

My hope is that not much changes other than at least a little bump up in release schedules. I would like to see three table packs a year. I think that’s a realistic number.
    I wouldn't say Pinball Arcade wasn't very good. Zen made it notably better, but Pinball Arcade was awesome! The trouble is, Pinball Arcade would need to restart from scratch because Zen raised the bar pretty high, and that just isn't going to happen.

My Devices
    Xbone
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sounds like a recipe for weak sauce!!

My Devices
    PC
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Best case scenario is Pinball FX4 is an Epic Exclusive and you don't get to migrate any of your Steam DLC because Uncle Timmy hates Steam.

Worst case scenario (or is that actually better, given the quality of recent FX3 tables?) - Zen never makes another pinball table again.

Well, at least now we know the real reason for the delays with Vol 6, its poor quality and Zen's not giving a flying f about it in general.

My Devices
    Xbone
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Curratum View Post
    ....Well, at least now we know the real reason for the delays with Vol 6, its poor quality and Zen's not giving a flying f about it in general.
    I play on XBone, and the Vol.6 quality doesn't seem to be lacking in the least. Yes, the delay sucked.

My Devices
    All of them
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This deal is more than likely a good thing. Zen now has access to actual QA studios and additional resources all within the framework of this deal. Plus anything already scheduled for release over the next 12 months wouldn't really be impacted negatively by this anyway. Does anyone here really thing that Zen would sign a crap deal while they are working on tie-ins with original Disney+ properties?

My Devices
    iPad
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by trash80 View Post
    This deal is more than likely a good thing. Zen now has access to actual QA studios and additional resources all within the framework of this deal. Plus anything already scheduled for release over the next 12 months wouldn't really be impacted negatively by this anyway. Does anyone here really thing that Zen would sign a crap deal while they are working on tie-ins with original Disney+ properties?
    Based on what is going on with the iPad version, internal error messages, parts challenges gone, I think we have seen their best shot.

My Devices
    PS4, XB1, Switch
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ironmike View Post
    Based on what is going on with the iPad version, internal error messages, parts challenges gone, I think we have seen their best shot.
    Blame Apple for that one. They forced all game companies recently to have their games compatible with Metal. Many iOS games were never designed with Metal in mind. Magic Pixel for one is having a time of their life trying to re-progam Zaccaria Pinball to work on it. It looks like Zen tried to do a quick fix, but as you can see doesn't work 100%.

My Devices
    iPad mini 5, iPad mini 4, iPhone SE (2020), PS3
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by shogun00 View Post
    Blame Apple for that one. They forced all game companies recently to have their games compatible with Metal. Many iOS games were never designed with Metal in mind. Magic Pixel for one is having a time of their life trying to re-progam Zaccaria Pinball to work on it. It looks like Zen tried to do a quick fix, but as you can see doesn't work 100%.
    Quote Originally Posted by 1adam12 View Post
    Is that the new ios? I have an older ipad pro I haven't updated. It sounds like I shouldn't, and it also serves to remind me why I left the apple ecosystem. Every OS has some compatibility issues, but I've had a LOT of apps suddenly become unusable when apple updates their OS.
    Yes new iOS, sound drops out and app crashes every few games. The fact that the insiders on the forum have gone silent concerns me.
    Is this regarding Zen Pinball or Williams Pinball?

I don't run Zen Pinball any more (although I do have many tables purchased) but Williams Pinball seems perfectly fine on my iPad mini 5 running iOS 14.2. I just now played for over an hour with no sound dropouts, crashes nor anything else out of the ordinary happening. An update for the Williams Pinball app (v1.5.1) was released 2 weeks ago.
    Last edited by MadScience2006; 11-20-2020 at 01:20 PM.

My Devices
    iOS, Android
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I feel like Zen was doing fantastically well prior to this from a QC and throughput standpoint, they were a really well run software team. I'm sure Zen's owners/investors are happy with the acquisition, but it doesn't necessarily mean good things for the product. Especially if it's true that the new parent company wants them to focus on RPGs. The best I would hope for is that the pinball product/platform is profitable and stable enough that it will be left alone and allowed to continue.

My Devices
    Ipad Pro
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is that the new ios? I have an older ipad pro I haven't updated. It sounds like I shouldn't, and it also serves to remind me why I left the apple ecosystem. Every OS has some compatibility issues, but I've had a LOT of apps suddenly become unusable when apple updates their OS.

My Devices
    iPad
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 1adam12 View Post

Yes new iOS, sound drops out and app crashes every few games. The fact that the insiders on the forum have gone silent concerns me.

My Devices
    PC, Android, PS4, XSX
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Fear put aside, even if Embracer focus on RPG games it doesn`t mean Zen is limited to this. By the way Zen has an own Arm for there RPGs that build games like Operancia, Castlestorm, Dreadful and more and that everytime. The companies and the portfolio of Embracer are also not all in RPGs

For those People who don`t believe a software company can`t be affected by corona Lockdowns, first not every compnay can arrange a safe access for everyone, plus even if you have it, you need to talk face to face in some topics. Yes there is the possibillity for voicechat but to be true Europe hasn`t the best internet and everybody who played a reaction game with some european player can fill books. And I`m from germany plus I don`t have good stable internet, for these lucky Large City Super-duper- mega -Jackpot internet guys from germany good for you, but both people I know are argue about it
    Last edited by Lykaion23; 11-20-2020 at 10:16 AM.

My Devices
    XBOX1S , laptop , PS5
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    just take it in our stride , i have tables coming out of my ears , even if we get no more tables i`m bloody happy . about 100 from Zen , about 100 from Farsight and another 100 from Zaccaria . plus all my racing games , i`m in bludgers paradise .

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast