Zen Studios acquired by Embracer Group

The loafer

Oct 28, 2012
If there is an FX4, I'm out. It simply feels like a money grab at a time when FX3 is still very good and could support more tables.

I do not understand this logic at all. When Zen went from FX2 to FX3, we didn't need to rebuy any table, the financial burden from going to FX3 was zero + whatever the new table cost... which would have been the same price if it had stayed on FX2. This is the same situation again, the app itself is basically free, you just pay for the tables.

1adam12

Nov 28, 2017
I do not understand this logic at all. When Zen went from FX2 to FX3, we didn't need to rebuy any table, the financial burden from going to FX3 was zero + whatever the new table cost... which would have been the same price if it had stayed on FX2. This is the same situation again, the app itself is basically free, you just pay for the tables.
Thanks for clearing that up. I wasn't really familiar with the Zen history. I just saw that FX2 lasted 7 years and FX3 has been around for over 3.

Having seen shifts with music and streaming as well as apps I have purchased that later switch to a subscription model, I get a bit nervous when I hear about potential changes. Sounds like I can just be happy with the tables I have.

Sent from my motorola one fusion+ using Tapatalk

The loafer

Oct 28, 2012
I understand but whatever happens, Pinball FX 3 will still work the day after FX 4 is released so even if they ask you to rebuy the tables, you will still be able to use the older app. At least that's how I see it

Byte

Nov 11, 2012
I wouldn't mind rebuying the tables on PS5 as long as they are noticeably improved over the PS4 versions. A discount would be nice, though. Wouldn't hurt Zen too much as you can also just wait for a sale and that way Zen has cash in the bank right away.

karussellbremser

Aug 20, 2015
I would also gladly re-buy all tables for a completely new engine. That is, if they can be purchased outright and kept and played "forever". Subscription means I'll be out of this and I'd be hoping for Zen to give up the WMS license so someone else can sell the tables.

Hinph

Feb 29, 2012
I would also gladly re-buy all tables for a completely new engine. That is, if they can be purchased outright and kept and played "forever". Subscription means I'll be out of this and I'd be hoping for Zen to give up the WMS license so someone else can sell the tables.

Yeah, I really don’t mind buying the tables again either. I’ve always looked at it like $3.50 in a pinball museum or bar would get me fifteen minutes with a table, whereas a digital table costs that much to play as much as I like... even cheaper if I wait to buy some of the packs during sales. Since they are essentially rebuilding them all in a new engine with new graphics/lighting and improved physics, ehh... okay. It supports Zen Studios in the end anyway, and I’m really happy with their work.

But then I’m going to have to rebuy them all regardless, as my primary platform will be switching from Switch so that I can play them in VR. I’m very happy to pay whatever it costs for that vastly superior experience. It really sucks going back to a flat screen after experiencing VR pinball with one of the new high resolution headsets, let me tell you.

pinfan7

Banned
May 19, 2019
Nope, I'm out, I don't endorse bribe money for exclusivities, Swiney as a person and Epic as a company, nor its store which is more than obvious by now that it is just a chinese front.

Last edited:

Pinballwiz45b

Aug 12, 2012
Apparently Zen has been gutted because Embracer couldn't close the $2 billion Saudi deal:

Not sure what this means for the studio as a whole but losing 32 developers because of bad decisions at the top level is going to leave a mark.

Old news, and Zen was 121 large when this happened.

The fact that 13 tables are releasing in the next 2 weeks means Zen didn't slow down...yet.

Members online

Members online