Weird behavior since last year : Black screen if mod is started before the game

gabpower

Nov 7, 2020
Hi everyone. For about a year, I have a weird behavior from the FreeCamMod :
- If I start the mod before the game, the game stays black and hangs there. The mod icon stays in the tray and must be killed from the Task Manager. Same behavior if I chose to start the game when the mod starts.
- If I start the game without the mod, it plays fine.
- If I start the game, then start the mod, it works OK, except that the cursor only works with the mouse so I can't use the joystick to navigate in game and I can't click with the mouse, the A button still work on the gamepad so I need both the mouse and the gamepad to play. So it kinda works but not as it should.

Another thing that's been bugging me is that when I start the mod before the game there is no more Windows pop-up telling me that it's waiting for the Pinball Arcade.exe to start.
I tried previous versions of the mod and the same behavior happens: no pop-up.
I believe this is due to a Windows Update that happened sometime last year, maybe around spring.
I tried every compatibily setting without success.
I think it's either a compatibility issue or a dependency from a Windows service/program that's causing this issue with the mod. Maybe a Net FrameWork file or something like that?

I'm looking for a manual fix because I don't want to reinstall Windows since it fully personnalised to work with my cab and would take me days to redo all the settings. I also like to find solutions to my computer problems since I work in this field.

If anyone can pinpoint me to a possible cause I will continue my investigation but at this point I don't know where to look.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

gabpower

Nov 7, 2020
I finally reinstalled Windows 10 Pro intirely but the same behavior persist.
I must mention I copied my FCM and Steam folders entirely so the problem might reside there but I'm really not sure.
I tried a fresh install of FCM but it stayed the same.
I tried disabling the Windows 10 notification center and disabling toast notifications just in case because I thought it might be related to the way the pop-up notifications appeared (Waiting for TPA DX11.exe...). Didn't work.
Since TPA works fine on it's own and if I start the mod after starting the game it "somewhat" works, I beleive FCM has a bug lauching/finding TPA DX11.

I've put well over 10 hours trying to find a fix to this just to get back to the way it was working before because the Mod is really great when it's working.

I wonder if I'm the only one having this problem since this forum is very quiet.

gabpower

Nov 7, 2020
After countless hours on this issue for months, I finally resolved it partially. I tried dozens of different fixes and I think my problem was because I set TPA config utility (DX11) as fullscreen instead of windowed. Since I fiddled so much with the program and configurations for the last year, it might be a combination of more changes and reinstalls.

Another thing happened : My controllers were no longer getting registered with TPA and the solution was to uncheck Start As Administrator on pinballarcade11.exe. Maybe that'll help someone.

I still have an occuring problem : my d-pad/joystick does not work in the menus, only the mouse moves the cursor but it doesn't click (keyboard is not working either), so I have to point with my mouse and click A with the controller. If I disable the mod, everything works fine. It's annoying but at least I can still enjoy playing this great game. Any help on this issue will be appreciated.

Sebinouse

Jul 18, 2012
It's annoying but at least I can still enjoy playing this great game. Any help on this issue will be appreciated.
I use X360ce.exe 32bit (not working with 64bit version) to emulate a controller in my pincab.

I configured (for the menu navigation) the 4 coin door buttons for Back Up Down Enter and the 2 flippers for Left Right in PBA DX9 tu use them in PBA DX11. When I tried to set them in DX11, setting went back to default at each start ...

maybe this will help you ... more infos : HERE

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.