Tilt a little too sensitive?

Judi Chop

May 10, 2012
Just wondering what others think about the tilt on this table. It just seems way more sensitive than on any other table in TPA. I'll hit tilt twice (playing on android) and it is almost a guaranteed tilt. Trying to save it from the outlanes is impossible without causing a tilt also.

Matt McIrvin

Jun 5, 2012
In general, real tables tend to have much more sensitive tilts than you find in pinball sims like TPA. Gorgar could be the more accurate one.

Judi Chop

May 10, 2012
I had a feeling that might be the case, i guess thats one of the downfalls of playing on touchscreen is theres no way of adjusting how hard the tilt is.

Fungi

Feb 20, 2012
I had a feeling that might be the case, i guess thats one of the downfalls of playing on touchscreen is theres no way of adjusting how hard the tilt is.

Ahh, but I found this to be an advantage. Since there's no adjusting, that means there's no hard or soft nudge. To TPA, it's just a nudge. If you just nudge once, you won't tilt. TPA will only penalize you if you nudge multiple times in quick succession. On the other tables that have warnings, it'll give you warnings when you "multi-nudge". On Gorgar, a table made before warnings came about, you just tilt.

Matt McIrvin

Jun 5, 2012
After complaining that Bride of Pinbot was too easy in TPA, Mark Miwurdz revealed that his preferred way of doing a left-to-right flipper pass on that table was to hold the ball on the left flipper and nudge it clear over to the right! Apparently this works, though I haven't tried it myself. I can't imagine it being a viable passing technique on a real table with a functioning tilt sensor.

(It's silly, but I sometimes feel kind of guilty about exploiting techniques that wouldn't work on a real machine, like depending on the absolute predictability of certain wild bounces, which could only be so predictable because they're digitally simulated.)

Sean DonCarlos

Staff member
Mar 17, 2012
After complaining that Bride of Pinbot was too easy in TPA, Mark Miwurdz revealed that his preferred way of doing a left-to-right flipper pass on that table was to hold the ball on the left flipper and nudge it clear over to the right! Apparently this works, though I haven't tried it myself. I can't imagine it being a viable passing technique on a real table with a functioning tilt sensor.
If the ball is rolling up a raised flipper, a small nudge will get it over the center gap. Doing so should not upset the table unless the operator has the tilt bob set extremely tight or you already have the tilt bob swinging from prior action.

Nudging a ball at rest in a cradle to the other flipper is more serious, and the shove required for that probably would merit at least a double danger on most of the tables I play.

Matt McIrvin

Jun 5, 2012
If the ball is rolling up a raised flipper, a small nudge will get it over the center gap. Doing so should not upset the table unless the operator has the tilt bob set extremely tight or you already have the tilt bob swinging from prior action.

Reading Miwurdz's post again, it appears he may have been talking about such a situation.

superballs

Apr 12, 2012
I think the tilt in general should be more forgiving on the mobiles. Without being able to nudge it's hard to get anywhere and on the 360 it's pretty easy because you can gently nudge reliably, on the mobiles it's just all or nothing. Or let the tilt bob come to rest a bit quicker so that you can nudge again in a reasonable amount of time

Matt McIrvin

Jun 5, 2012
I think the tilt in general should be more forgiving on the mobiles. Without being able to nudge it's hard to get anywhere and on the 360 it's pretty easy because you can gently nudge reliably, on the mobiles it's just all or nothing. Or let the tilt bob come to rest a bit quicker so that you can nudge again in a reasonable amount of time

I actually find nudging harder on the XBox for a completely stupid reason: somehow I can't train myself to nudge entirely with my left hand. I keep trying to do it with the plunger control.

(Surely I'll get it eventually; if I can play a guitar I can do this.)

Jeff Strong

Staff member
Feb 19, 2012
I played the iOS version quite a bit (though I'm not able to nudge much due to the poor touchscreen nudging controls), but I finally got a chance to sit down tonight and play Gorgar for a couple hours on the 360 and the tilt is definitely a bit funky on this table. It's not so much that it's too sensitive, but rather the iconsistency of it is what bugs me. It seems too random. Sometimes I can get away with three quick nudges in a row (all within a split second of each other)....but other times, one single nudge will tilt. Doesn't seem to matter if I use the left stick or the d-pad. Pretty frustrating when you have the 3X multiplier and then you tilt on one single nudge and lose it all....:(

BonzoGonzo

Jun 12, 2012
the only table i managed to tilt in regular play here on tpa is gorgar... and not only once or twice... but hey, its a part of what gives it its oldschool hard core charm :)

phreaker47

Jul 15, 2012
It is definitely the most sensitive and is compounded by the fact that you get no warnings.

I tilted it on ONE nudge once.

spoonman

Apr 20, 2012
It is definitely the most sensitive and is compounded by the fact that you get no warnings.

I tilted it on ONE nudge once.

Ditto. I am getting tilts on Gorgar on every play now. And I barely touch the analog stick. It's nothing like it used to be on PHOF.
I love the way the table looks, but not so much how it plays now.

monkspider

Apr 15, 2012
I am having the same problem, I don't really get tilts on any other table but I get them on Gorgar all the time. Like Jeff Strong suggested, the worst thing is that the tilt is very inconsistent. It is very frustrating.

ScotchYeti

Apr 13, 2012
Probably people are trying to save the ball from going through the left or right outlane. That's pretty hard and will result in a tilt! It's better to nudge gently when the ball heads for the danger zone - and learn to deal with cheap drains. For one stellar game you have to wade through 19 mediocre ones. That's pinball.

Btw, compared to the PHOF version a bouncing ball near the left outlane can very often be saved or will jump back into the innerlane by itself. Near the right outlane it drains almost all the time. In PHOF the ball drained almost instantly at both outlanes unless you have turned off the "Tilt" and nudged heavily.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.