Just received Marvel Arcade 1up Pinball preordered through Gamestop

Chasnotchaz

Jun 16, 2019
So I kept getting emails that this would not be delivered until March, but low and behold, it showed up on my my doorstop this past Friday.
Took about an hour to set up.
This is what I think so far:

+ Easy assembly
+ Quality Build (Very Solid)
+ Audio quality is louder than I thought
+ Haptic feedback on flippers and bumpers is legit
+ Easy Menu system

- Image quality is disappointing
-Nudging feedback doesn't seem as responsive as I hoped
-No way to adjust screen brightness/contrast
- Seems like a lot of wasted space with side bezel and front apron. Would have been better with larger screen

If you have any questions about it, let me know.

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
Do you feel the screen is too bright/blown out? Despite the faults, are you happy with your purchase? Will you be attempting to install a larger screen or do you think it's not worth the effort?

Chasnotchaz

Jun 16, 2019
The brightness doesn't bother me too much. IT just doesn't seem to be universal from top to bottom of the screen. The top looks a little muddy compared to the bottom. I kind of think it might be due to the angle you are looking when you play if that makes sense. Think of how an LCD screen looks when you are looking at it from an angle. If you are able to look straight down at it from the center, it looks better, but when you are standing near the bottom of the screen, the top looks off. Maybe it's just me. Also, I have no idea how to switch out the screen. Unless there is an easy way to do it, then it is probably to technical for me.

shogun00

Dec 25, 2012
It just doesn't seem to be universal from top to bottom of the screen. The top looks a little muddy compared to the bottom. I kind of think it might be due to the angle you are looking when you play if that makes sense. Think of how an LCD screen looks when you are looking at it from an angle. If you are able to look straight down at it from the center, it looks better, but when you are standing near the bottom of the screen, the top looks off.

Sounds like they are using a matte screen instead of a glossy one.

Last edited:

yespage

Oct 31, 2015
The brightness doesn't bother me too much. IT just doesn't seem to be universal from top to bottom of the screen. The top looks a little muddy compared to the bottom. I kind of think it might be due to the angle you are looking when you play if that makes sense. Think of how an LCD screen looks when you are looking at it from an angle. If you are able to look straight down at it from the center, it looks better, but when you are standing near the bottom of the screen, the top looks off. Maybe it's just me. Also, I have no idea how to switch out the screen. Unless there is an easy way to do it, then it is probably to technical for me.
Not something one thinks of immediately, but in hindsight, obviously the closer you are to a screen, the more important pixel size becomes... and the viewing angle is more critical. With the screen being a little embedded below, that helps a little to reduce the viewing angle, but I'm wondering if anything shy of 1080p is viable.

vfpcoder

Jul 9, 2012
When people start talking about "bigger screens", what they're really talking about is gutting the cabinet and installing a gaming PC.

As delivered, the unit doesn't have enough horsepower to drive anything larger than a 24" screen at 720p.

There are some YouTube videos describing the process, but they're having trouble getting the haptic feedback and accelerometer to work via the PC.
And -- unlike the "Legends" Pinball cabinet -- dedicated "Nudge" buttons are not available. So, IMHO, it's not worth going through the hassle until they figure that part out ...

Here's an example of one of the posted mods:

https://youtu.be/sZPNIHQx2p4

yespage

Oct 31, 2015
Saw a video on Cooltoy via YouTube (I swear, it was an accident, I only watch Blahcade vids ;)) about a mod for the table, in part done because stuff stopped working on their machine.

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
Saw a video on Cooltoy via YouTube (I swear, it was an accident, I only watch Blahcade vids ;)) about a mod for the table, in part done because stuff stopped working on their machine.

I watch his vids too, so don't feel bad!

Pt 2 just came out today showing how he found the perfect backglass monitor that drops right in. Accelerometer came with the VirtuaPin plunger kit. Pt 3 is going to be all about putting haptics back in (I'm very curious about that one).

Members online

Members online