Machine guns?

yespage

Oct 31, 2015
Via the At Games table I’ve noticed the faux Indy Car on the front has guns. Guns on Indy Cars are not all too common. In fact one could argue that there has never been mounted weaponry on any Indy Car (or F1).

Did Victory have some other plot in mind and they forgot to scrub the guns?

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
Never noticed that before, but I just looked the game up on IPDB.org and looking at the flyer, it seems they might have been going for a Death Race 2000 vibe. On the flyer is specifically says "Load your weapons, check your equipment, and start your engines. You are about to start the race of your life". And then there's the typical operator pitch, "set your weapon sights on high earnings as you speed to each checkpoint".

I've always liked the layout of Victory, but found the code to be extremely lacking and ultimately requiring your shots to be extremely repetetive. It would be cool to update the code and throw in this idea of arming your car and using that for bonus purposes and such rather than the standard Indy racing vibe.

Pinballwiz45b

Aug 12, 2012
Never noticed that before, but I just looked the game up on IPDB.org and looking at the flyer, it seems they might have been going for a Death Race 2000 vibe. On the flyer is specifically says "Load your weapons, check your equipment, and start your engines. You are about to start the race of your life". And then there's the typical operator pitch, "set your weapon sights on high earnings as you speed to each checkpoint".

I've always liked the layout of Victory, but found the code to be extremely lacking and ultimately requiring your shots to be extremely repetetive. It would be cool to update the code and throw in this idea of arming your car and using that for bonus purposes and such rather than the standard Indy racing vibe.

You can thank Gottlieb's cost-cutting methods for that. Victory was supposed to be a triple-level playfield.

yespage

Oct 31, 2015
Gottlieb-Victory-Pinball-Machine-Original-Advertising-Flyer-1987.jpg

Interesting. You'd think they'd at least change the flyer prior to release.

Should we umm... I don't know... remove mentions of violence from the racing game that doesn't have guns anymore?
Naaaawwwww.

Which does beg the other question, Death Race... with Indy Cars? Not quite pairing well together.

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
Which does beg the other question, Death Race... with Indy Cars? Not quite pairing well together.

Gottlieb Premiere never seemed to think through their designs much.

"Hey, let's just throw it up on the wall and see if it sticks."
"Sir, the entire room was just wallpapered and the glue hasn't dried."
"Well then it all makes it onto the table!"

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.