The Bizarre Polarization of the Zen Pinball Online "Community"

pinballmonster

Sep 9, 2021
The Zen Steam Forum is probably the most amusing but there are clearly elements of the internecine warfare on the FX3 reddit and other forums as well.

On reddit, an FX3 mod referred to an article critical of zen pricing as "trash journalism." I thought mods were supposed to be moderate?!? The author of course defended himself, but it just struck me as so extreme, so out of proportion to the issue at hand.

As far as I could tell, these people who engage in such extremes and exaggerate issues to this degree must be suffering from some sort of mental illness, but it's just as likely that the anonymity of internet discussions leads to such outlandish statements, insults and hyperbole.

It's odd when these people show their faces. They are clearly nerdy, introverted types who love computer games in general and virtual pinball in particular.

I do think it's a bad sign that people get this emotionally invested in pixels on a screen. The main positive however is that these virtual pinball forums aren't very busy so only a small subset of people become obsessed about such things.

Crazy Newt

Dec 2, 2012
The Zen Steam Forum is probably the most amusing but there are clearly elements of the internecine warfare on the FX3 reddit and other forums as well.

On reddit, an FX3 mod referred to an article critical of zen pricing as "trash journalism." I thought mods were supposed to be moderate?!? The author of course defended himself, but it just struck me as so extreme, so out of proportion to the issue at hand.

As far as I could tell, these people who engage in such extremes and exaggerate issues to this degree must be suffering from some sort of mental illness, but it's just as likely that the anonymity of internet discussions leads to such outlandish statements, insults and hyperbole.

It's odd when these people show their faces. They are clearly nerdy, introverted types who love computer games in general and virtual pinball in particular.

I do think it's a bad sign that people get this emotionally invested in pixels on a screen. The main positive however is that these virtual pinball forums aren't very busy so only a small subset of people become obsessed about such things.

It certainly is amusing. Personally, Zen's entire digital pinball catalog has been an incredible bargain and has provided me with an endless amount of entertainment. I'm really excited about the potential with Zen moving to the Unreal engine and what they feel is a less onerous business store front.

Thanks for improving my vocabulary today. ("internecine") :D

zmcvay

Sep 19, 2014
Eh, I've just been enjoying Indy on PS5. Nice to get a release somewhere I could get it for once. Don't think every Zen release is worth $15, but for me this one is. And I'll likely purchase again on PC down the road once I know for sure what's up with Pinball FX.

yespage

Oct 31, 2015
It is the Internet. The whole reason why the Internet was invented was so people could be grouchy and pretend people listened to them complain. And the Next Gen Internet is supposed to up the capacity for whining and complaining by up to 4 magnitudes!

But the current Internet is quite capable of sharing the hate. So whether Roman Reigns is being shoved down someone's throat, *insert obscure political position*, or whether $15 for a digital pinball table is an outrage... all of that projected rage can be shared from atop the mighty hills of bits and bytes streaming across threaded glass strands. Also, Zen kicked my dog.

Now if you'll excuse me, there are children on my front lawn.

pinballmonster

Sep 9, 2021
Zen's ability to enrage their limited but very devoted fanbase on a consistent/ongoing/endless basis is a marvel to behold.

Based upon comments in reddit and the steam forum it seems like they're ready to riot.

I just can't see an easy resolution or any for that matter. Zen's customer base is not growing and the company is forced to squeeze revenue from this small base over and over again while struggling to deliver new content.

I never expected to see such an ugly relationship emerge, much less on an ongoing basis. Zen is a smallish game studio and their customer base largely consists of middle aged and older adults, does it not? It seems like both are reasonable parties, can't they work something out that works for both?

Firefox2000

Apr 18, 2013
It's the internet, rage over anything is the norm, anyway i think the table is fantastic, grabbed it on the Steam and the Series X.

Gibsonpinball

Jan 10, 2022
Good to see people here who stay calm and reasonable instead of immediately accusing and shouting! As for me, I really like the table and 15 euro for a table. Yes, more expensive than previous tables. But look how much fun I already got from it. And will. And a top 10 position online.

yespage

Oct 31, 2015

pinballmonster

Sep 9, 2021
The nerds of reddit wanna take their concerns to Congress lol:

://www.reddit.com/r/PinballFX3/comments/tthedg/oy_we_need_legislation/

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.