iOS iCade Support? (Bitty)

Dutch Pinball ball

May 5, 2012
Thanks! Great video.

Hmmm. Ok..... What are your thaughts, would you like pinball buttons on the sides? Or is this good enough?

I like the cabinet mod few posts back, laying down.

Oh, you used icade without jailbreak?

Edit

Ordered myself an icade 1 minut ago. ;-).

Last edited:

gsxrboy

Feb 21, 2012
I made a quick video to show you the iCade in action. I'm using an iPad 2 on iOS 5.0 with a stock iCade.

Thanks for the vid. I'm on iOS6.02 (iPad mini), so perhaps that is an issue. It's paired fine but not joy in gameplay.

p.s. just tried iMame and that works fine, so not sure what the snag is!

Last edited:

Craig Grannell

Sep 30, 2012
iPad 3, running iOS 6.0.1 (the latest for the device). The game's not working here (landscape or portrait) with the stock iCade nor any other iCade-compatible controller. (I have a pile of the things, having reviewed them for various mags.)

Sublime

Jul 26, 2012
Thanks! Great video.

Hmmm. Ok..... What are your thaughts, would you like pinball buttons on the sides? Or is this good enough?

I like the cabinet mod few posts back, laying down.

Oh, you used icade without jailbreak?

Edit

Ordered myself an icade 1 minut ago. ;-).

The buttons on the iCade don't add a ton to the user experience in my opinion. Playing it with the iPad standing up isn't natural, and there is no way to nudge without touching the screen still. Laying the iPad down and having buttons on the side like the mod above might help.

I have my iPad Jailbroken to play MAME and other emulators on, but I'm not using Blutrol for the pinball arcade.

Fungi

Feb 20, 2012
Having physical buttons is the payoff for me. I hope FS could map the nudging to the stick.

Dutch Pinball ball

May 5, 2012
Well,i will see it. Its more of a funny gadget maybe, will see.

I am planning to mod this thing in a pa pinball ipad cabinet only.

Gonne buy best real pinballbuttons available.

Only problem is, i got two left hands, as we say in holland when you are not excactly a handyman, ;-).

So, think need some help with it. ( already searched for stuff on hyperpin)

I hope more pa players will do it.

Sublime

Jul 26, 2012
I was thinking of making a mini pin cab for the iPad. The cabinet would be relatively simple. Finding som
Mini metal legs might be a challenge. You can open up the iCade and remove the mother board. It's just a tiny Bluetooth chip that you could mount in your own cabinet.

If you have a jailbroken device you could use Blutrol to map the buttons however you want.
I'm thinking 2 for the flippers and 2 on each side right above those to be mapped as nudge buttons.

You can find authentic pushbuttons from Happ controls. They are under $2 I believe. I have a ton a spares from other projects still laying around. If I make a mini can I'll document the process for anyone else who's interested.

Dutch Pinball ball

May 5, 2012
When my cab is send here, i maybe gonne need your advise and help sublime. If you like to help off course.

I am a complete nobody in modding this sort of stuff. Hope it all will work out like i have it into my head.

tripleplonq

Dec 3, 2012
So far, Sublime is AFAIK the only user who reported iCade compatibility. It would be nice to hear the opinion of a Farsigh employee on this.

Sublime

Jul 26, 2012
There site barely gets updated. The developers would have to let ion know that they added support. Ion doesn't test apps individually.

Dutch Pinball ball

May 5, 2012
Looking all around the net for mods. Buts it pretty shy atm. Would expect more of these pinball mods.

Maybe when more people hear about compatibility, more will use it and mod their icade specially for pinball.

Dutch Pinball ball

May 5, 2012
And what about the 8 bitty? Is that supported now too?

If so, can you flipper with the 2 top buttons? And last i like to know is the responsiveness when playing pa with this.

Sublime

Jul 26, 2012
I've never tested the 8 bitty. I'm assuming it works the same way. It's just a Bluetooth input device. All devices act as a keyboard under iOS. If you launch notepad with the iCade it will type letters on the screen. I don't know what buttons on the bitty correspond to the icade's buttons.

As far as input lag, there is none. I think I read once that it's less than 3 milliseconds. You can't tell that it's wireless. It plays perfect.

Craig Grannell

Sep 30, 2012
The shoulder buttons on the 8-bitty correspond to two vertical buttons on the regular iCade, so they wouldn't work like that. To make matters worse, the handheld iCade-compatible devices don't all have the same key mapping, and so even if Pinball Arcade did work like that with the 8-bitty (which, in my opinion, really isn't that good), it wouldn't necessarily work with, say, the SteelSeries Free (which is the best of those types of controllers, by some margin).

gypsyshred

Apr 12, 2012
I just got my Bitty in the mail. Setup was painless and the build quality seems good, and it worked seamlessly with the apps I expected it to. Aside from TPA, I can't seem to get it to recognize. Is there a trick or am I waiting for an update to fix it? I could have sworn the update note mentioned iCade support, its one of the main reasons I got it in the first place.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Latest posts