Ball has no weight at all

ABS-119

Aug 29, 2012
Downloaded pack #3 today and i'm disapointed.

Monster Bash just isn't fun playing.

The ball moves at such a pace that the game is unplayable.

It seems as if the ball has no weight at all.
This is the only table from TBA i have this problem with.

Other people feel the same about MB on Xbox 360?

Excuse me for the English,

greetz from a pinball and TBA/PHOF fanatic from the Netherlands.

Last edited:

bavelb

Apr 16, 2012
No, MB has the best physics on 360 sofar. And that seems to be the general consensus.

CV has floaty physics, but MB is one of the best physics in digital pinball to date (only to be surpassed by Taxi and HD, and to a lesser degree BK and CftBL)

PiN WiZ

Mod & Forum Superstar
Staff member
Feb 22, 2012
Just had a 15 minute session with Mosh Pit Multi-ball on MB and noticed the balls were moving slower than normal no matter how hard I hit them. However, the ball speed returned to normal after Mosh Pit Multi-ball ended.

Matt McIrvin

Jun 5, 2012
As one of the lucky people to have grabbed this pack during the short interval it was up before, I've been playing it a lot, and I think the physics is quite good for TPA. The ball isn't as out-of-control bouncy as in Medieval Madness, though trapping is still a challenge, not like Creature from the Black Lagoon where (at least in the current Android version) it's suspiciously trivial.

Edited to add: One thing about this table that may be frustrating is that the scoop kickout doesn't give you a reliable trap on one raised flipper. Raising them both, though, gets you a consistent trap after a pass.

I can't manage a reliable cradle separation in the multiball modes--they just go flying--but this is a common problem with TPA.

The Frankenstein jackpot and Gorgar ball-shading and speech bugs aside, this pack is still a lot of fun. It'll be even more fun when the title update fixes the outstanding bugs.

Last edited:

Matt McIrvin

Jun 5, 2012
...The other basic thing to know about this table is that Frankenstein is a terrible drain hazard, by design. (Dracula is too, but only when he's out and about; Frankie's a problem most of the time.) If you don't want the ball flying at high speed toward the center drain, it's better to concentrate on the shots toward the right side of the playfield, and maybe the Creature hole on the far left. You'll want to put off Frankenstein multiball anyway until you can stack some other modes on top of it.

The most important shot in the game is to backhand the Concert Hall scoop off the right flipper. If you can do that an enormous number of times you'll get the Lyman's Lament wizard goal (which I've never done). But it's also how you start most of the modes, and because of the stuff it sometimes spots you and the occasional missed shot through the Mosh Pit spinner, just playing to hit the scoop as many times as you can is more effective than you'd think (though obviously it's not the most interesting way to play).

bavelb

Apr 16, 2012
Edited to add: One thing about this table that may be frustrating is that the scoop kickout doesn't give you a reliable trap on one raised flipper. Raising them both, though, gets you a consistent trap after a pass.
On MB? You can trap the scoop on the left flipper. I do this by having a raised flipper, drop it when it spits out the ball and raising it. Sort of between a dead and live catch :)

Last edited:

ABS-119

Aug 29, 2012
Again, call me stupid, but i can't handle this table.
My highscore is about 300.000.000 and that gave me the "grand champion" position, but i cannot seem to get a higher score.

I played 10-20 games the last hour and 9 out of 10 balls gave me a score of 5 million at most.

Maybe i'm to stupid for this table, but normaly i'm pretty good at pinball.
On TBA/WHOF and in real life.

But you can not deny that the ball moves much (!) faster and goes more through the outlanes than in any other TPA/WHOF table.

I just cannot seem to build up anything (apart from the moon) because the ball goes through the outlanes as fast as lightning.

Also the rubber on the flippers is way to bounchy in my opinion.

For instance, Funhouse or TOM play much "relaxter", but MB has a pace i can't keep up.

Again, maybe i'm just too stupid (for this table).

Last edited:

BonzoGonzo

Jun 12, 2012
hm thats very strange... mb is practicaly giving away scores and i see no problem with the speed of the ball at all as i managed 2.9 bil on my 3rd-4th play on this table... and its outlanes are nothing special... much more unforgiving outlanes imo are gorgar and cirqus ones...

one question regarding the outlanes problem though, do you use nudge? as in setting up your shots, not only trying to escape sdtm and outlanes? as in 'be proactive, not reactive' as someone else on this forum wisely put it (sorry i forgot who :eek:)

Matt McIrvin

Jun 5, 2012
On MB? You can trap the scoop on the left flipper. I do this by having a raised flipper, drop it when it spits out the ball and raising it. Sort of between a dead and live catch :)

I've had some success doing something like that, but not from the scoop kickout. Will have to try it again.

BonzoGonzo

Jun 12, 2012
Just had a 15 minute session with Mosh Pit Multi-ball on MB and noticed the balls were moving slower than normal no matter how hard I hit them. However, the ball speed returned to normal after Mosh Pit Multi-ball ended.

so i ate my word and played mb today... :eek: the table is just to cool (left nudge multiball bug or not)

but what i really wanted to say is:

yeah, when you start mosh pit multiball all the balls slow down a tad, but everything returns to normal when mosh pit ends... just like pinwiz said

laughing_lunatic

Jun 6, 2012
'be proactive, not reactive' as someone else on this forum wisely put it (sorry i forgot who :eek:)

Ha ! I'm famous at last ;)

OK, so I've had a good few games on MB now and I have to say, it seems a bit floaty and bouncy to me. I'm sure it's a question of getting used to it, and it's certainly a fun table, regardless.

I've also noticed that comparatively weak shots into the playfield will sometimes hit a post or target and come back at the speed of sound...

What I want to know is: isn't the physics engine constant through all of the tables ? I'm not a dev, or particularly smart, but I would have thought that the engine, the basic heart of how the ball behaves, would be be the one constant through all the tables, but it apparently, is not.

Last edited:

Richard B

Apr 7, 2012
...The other basic thing to know about this table is that Frankenstein is a terrible drain hazard, by design. (Dracula is too, but only when he's out and about; Frankie's a problem most of the time.) If you don't want the ball flying at high speed toward the center drain, it's better to concentrate on the shots toward the right side of the playfield, and maybe the Creature hole on the far left. You'll want to put off Frankenstein multiball anyway until you can stack some other modes on top of it.
Backhanding Frankenstein with the left flipper will result in far fewer center drains.
As for the physics, each installment they tweak the physics slightly to get ever closer to perfection. Bobby said they would not implement flipper interaction improvements until Sept. at the earliest. I suspect we will see at least the pioneer efforts of this in either this coming pack (#6) or the following one.

Pinballfan69

Mar 28, 2012
I disagree. The ball is physics is much better than CV and Medieval IMO although the new PS3 update It is much better than previous versions. Still too floaty for my liking but manageable. Personally I think Funhouse BOP are the best I've seen so far. I also had a chance to play the demo versions of Black Knight, Creatur, TAXI and HD on my little android phone and was impressed by the physics for those tables too. The screen is way too small for me to actually purchase it but am impressed to say the least.

Kaoru

Mar 29, 2012
I find the ball on this table to be a little odd, too. It feels very slippery, like it's been dipped in soap or something. And it's strangely accelerated... as if it's coming down from MM's dragon ramp all the time.

I mean, the table isn't unplayable or anything, but I find it very hard to do controlled shots.

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
Personally I think FH has the best physics going. The bounce on the flippers just feels right. That being said, my first impressions of MB were that it had really good physics too. Now that I've played it a bit (and watched the PAPA tutorial), I do think that on the flippers it's too bouncy. Watching that vid I saw him catch the ball A LOT, where I'll get 3 or 4 bounces before it settles. Anyways, I think the weight on the ramps feels good, and is it me or do a lot of the shots feel the same as MM? I can hit creature using the same technique I use for catapult, and the 2 ramps feel about the same too.

This has become for me one of those tables I just pretty much flip live balls on. I do a little catching, but my timing while the ball is moving just seems better. Unlike CV, which I also play this way, I do feel like I have a bit more control. So weird how my play style changes due to the table. Despite me feeling they have a similar layout, when I play MM it's all catch and shoot and very little live ball play.

spoonman

Apr 20, 2012
I had an amazing game of Monter Bash the other day, but then it occurred to me that it was totally pointless because they have yet to fix the cheating bug and reset everyone's high score on the leaderboards. :(

I'll have to come back to it again some day, but not until it's fixed.
I do feel the ball has weight to it and the multiball slowdown aside, it's one of the better tables physics wise.

inspector42

May 27, 2012
So playing this after all the physics improvements of late, this table seems to play very, very differently. Much floatier, harder to handle the ball, etc. anyone else experiencing this old-physics readjustment period?

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.