Gorgar Tactics and Strategies

superballs

Apr 12, 2012
Hi Everyone,

It's been a while since I wrote my strategy for ToM and I'm glad to see them popping up for tables. Serenseven's are especially well written. I thought I would add one for Gorgar.

This is an interesting tables and I can see a lot of responses with different strategies for this one as even I have a few that I like to try. This is a very demanding table and a ball out of control is a ball about to drain. One aspect I love/hate about this table (more love than hate) is that nudging is crucial and tilting is easy.

The first thing I do is concentrate on the rollovers at the top. It can take quite a few shots to increase the multiplier to 3X and each time the ball triggers a rollover target, it increases your bonus. The bonus maxes out at 29,000 and multiplies by up to 3X for a total max bonus of 97,000. By comparison, the highest scoring shot is 50,000, so a max bonus is a very significant score in and of itself.

If at any point the ball lights all the 1-2-3-4 targets, immediately shoot for the snake pit.

Another benefit to this is that the ball drops through the rollovers and triggers the bumpers. This usually results in very frequent hits on the 1-2-3-4 spot targets due to lateral movement, and frequent finishes to the GOR targets to increase the snake pit value as well.

Yet another benefit to this is that while the bonus is between 10 and 20K, the spinner is lit for 1000 points. I've managed to find a shot JUST to the left of the spinner that spins it without the ball going through the lane.

Once your multiplier is at 3X, start aiming for the GAR targets. This will usually cause the ball to bounce up into the GOR targets, which advance the snake pit value. Each time you finish the GAR targets a bumper will light up and be worth more points. Each time you finish GOR and GAR, the left saucer will advance and the third time it will light for an extra ball.

Once you have the extra ball collected, keep the ball alive and score as many points as you can until the ball invariably drains. You can continue on with the GOR and GAR targets or try for the 1-2-3-4 spot targets to advance the snake pit value, or just keep throwing the ball up to the rollovers to take advantage of the more valuable bumpers at this point.

Can't remember what lights the special in the outlanes, but i never hit that anyway though losing a ball simply for an extra ball allows you to score big setting up that big bonus again, though, the table only allows one extra ball per ball so if you've collected it already, not much point in collecting the special too.

I'd like to hear general play flow from all you better pinballers out there.

superballs

Apr 12, 2012
Even though I have all the wizard goals and can in fact turn it off...i just can't play pinball without tilt

Heretic

Jun 4, 2012
I didnt mention pinball gorgar scared me man, so furstrating on ios with nudge...i had a melt down the got the 1234 then i shook the **** outta it for 15 then turned back on

Edit - well obviously gorgars pin but its the DEVIL

Fungi

Feb 20, 2012
Even though I have all the wizard goals and can in fact turn it off...i just can't play pinball without tilt

You do realize that turning tilt off DOESN'T mean you can't nudge right? It means you can nudge like crazy without penalty. Or are you saying you really need penalties to keep yourself inline?

Last edited:

Killer French Bread

Aug 20, 2012
Yeah you play it pretty similarly to me, which is kinda reassuring because I didn;t know if I was even remotely on the right track. My scores aren't great though - 1,400,000 is my best, which aint to shabby but aint troubling the leaders either. My main problem is probably lighting the A rollover. The predictable nature of the shots means it usually always goes down lane B or C when you hit it through the spinner and A seems to be the hardest to get from the plunger. I've got quite a few tilt penalties from trying to shunt the ball down the right one which is obviously a disaster on this table.

Sean DonCarlos

Staff member
Mar 17, 2012
Hi Everyone,

It's been a while since I wrote my strategy for ToM and I'm glad to see them popping up for tables. Serenseven's are especially well written. I thought I would add one for Gorgar.
Aw, thanks! And I'm glad to see others are starting their own threads for the older tables that I'm not that great at.

OK, the truth: I suck at these old tables. But they're still fun, and good for keeping my ego in check. :cool:

Jeff Strong

Staff member
Feb 19, 2012
Thanks for this. I usually start with the GOR and GAR targets then the extra ball, but I think your idea of going for the 3X first is a better strategy, so I'll give it a whirl.

This table is pretty brutal at times, but that's what makes it addicting for me.

Last edited:

Judi Chop

May 10, 2012
One of the easiest ways to get the A is to plunge your ball at the max you can and when it bounces back towards the A do a tilt on the left side before it hits again. This almost always puts the ball down the A.

phreaker47

Jul 15, 2012
Spell GOR and GAR twice, then shoot the left eject hole a bunch of times.

THIS!

This is easily the best and safest way to rack up points and you can do this in an endless loop when you get good at the shot. I just discovered this today. The 15K stays lit and you can score it unlimited times.

- Complete GOR-GAR twice to light 15,000 on the eject hole (A third time will light extra ball which is fine, but you'll have to do it twice again to get it back to 15K)
- Shoot the eject hole
- When it ejects, let it bounce off the right flipper and catch it with the left (should be possible 99% of the time)
- With the ball trapped on the left flipper, do a transfer to the right* (ball transfers work wonderfully and consistently on this table)
- Shoot eject hole again and repeat

* Flipper transfer: with the ball trapped, release and quickly press+hold flipper back up. Ball should easily hop over to the other flipper where you can catch it.

I just scored over 1,000,000 a few minutes ago and I know I can do a lot better.

Last edited:

HiTechKoke

Sep 1, 2012
What platform are you on? On the iOS and iPad 3 the predictability of roll down the eject hole is generally different every second or third time so it is hard to count on it.

phreaker47

Jul 15, 2012
PS3.

There's a little lip that the ball should roll off of, after it comes out the eject hole. Most of the time, the ball will come across to the right flipper and leaving the flipper down, it will bounce over to the left one.

I'll hedge back on the "99%" claim... sometimes it comes down closer to the middle and it has to be slapped away to be safe... but probably, realistically, 90+% of the time it can be caught.

Last edited:

superballs

Apr 12, 2012
I thought the left eject was supposed to reset like the snake pit when the highest value was collected

SKILL_SHOT

Banned
Jul 11, 2012
Hey SILVER BALL....you went through the trouble of making a score post....all 0's except MB? C'MON MAN! And I will be handing out C'MON MAN awards throughout the NFL season. Your not the first and definitely not the last.

phreaker47

Jul 15, 2012
I thought the left eject was supposed to reset like the snake pit when the highest value was collected

It resets when you collect the extra ball, yes. But the strategy is to not let the extra ball get lit. Leave it at 15k and fire away at it. It's unlimited.

phreaker47

Jul 15, 2012
Only problem is that this is extremely boring after a while. :)

Oh definitely... but then again, the table as a whole is going to get boring pretty quickly anyway, since all you have is: 1) 1,2,3,4 targets, 2) Gor-Gar drop targets, 3) the snake pit target, and 4) Spinner/ABC rollovers... and it's all just simple point scoring, wth extra ball and a special.

Might as well just try for a good spot on the leaderboard. The game doesn't have legs anyway. Don't get me wrong though, I love it from a historical perspective... I remember being wowed by it as a kid, being the first game with a voice.

Members online

Members online