Funhouse Tactics and Strategies

Eegah

May 12, 2013
No, it's pretty inconsistent whether you nudge or not. Rarely it's a catch, usually it's a slingshot or sometimes a STDM.

Zaphod77

Feb 14, 2013
A hit to rudy's jaw, if done from the hallway kickout or from the hideout kickout, is pretty safe. it's not always consistent, but i don't fear it. Trying after the steps, though.. that's HARD. I miss much more often, and drain a LOT more that way.

I 've played some funhouse machines with pretty friendly right kickouts, but think TPA erred on the side of friendlieness. there shuld be more randomness on that kickout, which can make trap attempts fail. In fact, pretty much every game that has a similar kickout has the same issue in TPA>\. it's WAYYYY too friendly. I suspect twilight zone will be too easy to handle the slot machine kickout as well.

Bonzo

May 16, 2012
I suspect twilight zone will be too easy to handle the slot machine kickout as well.

Dead pass to left flipper from slot machine, left ramp, right ramp, piano, dead pass to left flipper from slot machine, left ramp, right ramp, piano, dead pass to left flipper from slot machine, left ramp, right ramp, piano... zZz zZz

pezpunk

Jul 29, 2012
A hit to rudy's jaw, if done from the hallway kickout or from the hideout kickout, is pretty safe. it's not always consistent, but i don't fear it. Trying after the steps, though.. that's HARD. I miss much more often, and drain a LOT more that way.

YES exactly. the shot to rudy after kickout from the hallway or hideout are safe. hitting rudy after the steps is DANGEROUS! i noticed that too.

phreaker47

Jul 15, 2012
Yes, Rudy hits from hidden hallway are manageable the majority of the time. If the slings catch them, it's usually a safe angle and one way or another you almost always have an opportunity to trap.

Zaphod77

Feb 14, 2013
just tried twilight zone. and yup,you can trap or dead bounce every ball that comes out of the slot machine...

phreaker47

Jul 15, 2012
DAMMMNNNN YOOOOOOUUUUU MOOVENSTEIN!

Well, I had #1 for about 7 months. Can't complain. And I still have the top genuine score on Taxi.

The only reason I wasn't closer to 999,999,999 was because I lost my last ball before I could pick up another million (I had let a couple balls before that drain too)... then I had to frantically tilt before the EOB bonus as it would have taken me over 1 billion... and that is still evidently unknown country as far as whether it will register on the leaderboard or not. I see that sir_moovenstein feared that as well. He got really really close. I probably won't try to edge it out. That game was a huge chunk of one night and another chunk of the next morning after pausing all night. Too much!

vikingerik

Nov 6, 2013
The Gangway extra ball is NOT limited. I collected it at least five times in a game. Since you can collect both that and the Mystery Mirror EB on every ball, yeah it's pretty easy to play Funhouse forever, you can make up for a ball that drains too quick without completing the mirror.

Quick Multiball is a great time to go for Gangways towards that EB. Trap a ball on each flipper. Shoot the ramp with one and the right Gangway with the other (time it so the first ball trips the inlane switch just before the second ball enters the orbit.) The Gangway ball can then be shot at Rudy for the million, or the trap door lane then Rudy for 3-way and 4-way combos.

As for regular multiball, I've got a simpler sequence for hitting the million plus than Sean described in the first post of this thread, once you hit the trap door once.

- Start with ball 1 on the right flipper and ball 2 about to come out of the scoop eject (like after a trap door shot)
- Shoot ramp with ball 1, then hold the right flipper to catch ball 2 out of the scoop and keep holding it
- With ball 1 from the ramp, shoot the lock hallway
- With ball 1 from the lock, shoot the trap door
- Start over again by shooting the ramp with still-held ball 2 before ball 1 comes out of the eject.

If you keep the timing on the right rhythm, you don't need the mirror shot at all. Before each ball ejects from the scoop, start the ramp-lock-trapdoor sequence with the other ball. That's all there is to it. Ramp - right Gangway - trapdoor is also an option, which is more fun IMO and works towards the Gangway EB, though recovering from misses is more chancy.

phreaker47's method of hitting the trap door from the lock eject by shooting very early and banking off the T (STEP) target works very well for me on the PC version.

When the outlane gate is open to the stairs (this only happens from the mirror, not the other methods of enabling the stairs), avoid the ramp if you can help it, the stairs rewards are paltry and you'd rather have the outlane save available.

Finally, did something happen to the leaderboard? The discussion here seems to indicate several players have crept close to 1 billion scores, but the leaderboard I see on the PC version and website shows the top score as 846m. (Well, top after the 999m I just put up.)

phreaker47

Jul 15, 2012
Finally, did something happen to the leaderboard? The discussion here seems to indicate several players have crept close to 1 billion scores, but the leaderboard I see on the PC version and website shows the top score as 846m. (Well, top after the 999m I just put up.)

I put up 998 million on it (I quit intentionally because I was afraid of a billion points possibly not registering. BOP and TOM do this on Sony versions) and it was the #1 score for most of this year. Sir Moovenstein recently got 1.2B but looking from PS3/Vita these are still the two high scores.

Are the leaderboards on the PC version walled off like on X360?

I know at least that Sony, Android, and IOS versions all share the same leaderboard, although there have been some inconsistencies with the syncing for some tables.

Edit: Come to think of it, I know I've seen your name. Didn't you get 100M on Taxi? My 72M was the high there for a long time but two cheaters have higher scores.

Last edited:

vikingerik

Nov 6, 2013
PC is supposed to share the same leaderboard as Sony/Android/iOS. Everything but X360 is together.

Yeah, I had 100M on Taxi, and bumped it to 126M last week.

Funhouse shows my 999.6M, 999.7M by Tarek Oberdieck (new since last week), and the next highest is 846m by WlkBtwnRnDrps. I see this both in-game and on pinballarcade.com. No sign of any other 999M scores on Funhouse from you or anyone else. Don't know what's going on there.

phreaker47

Jul 15, 2012
PC is supposed to share the same leaderboard as Sony/Android/iOS. Everything but X360 is together.

Yeah, I had 100M on Taxi, and bumped it to 126M last week.

Funhouse shows my 999.6M, 999.7M by Tarek Oberdieck (new since last week), and the next highest is 846m by WlkBtwnRnDrps. I see this both in-game and on pinballarcade.com. No sign of any other 999M scores on Funhouse from you or anyone else. Don't know what's going on there.

Weird. Do you see my 7.6 million on Haunted House? 12.6 million on Flight 2000?

I think the syncing is inconsistent and it can be per table. I remember looking at the Android version once and seeing differences in the leaderboards compared to PS3/Vita, but not consistently across all tables.

phreaker47

Jul 15, 2012
I only just now looked at the leaderboards via pinballarcade.com. I never have before. From the looks of it, all the top tens except Funhouse are the same (at least the ones where I have a top ten score)

Here's what PS3/Vita shows right now for Funhouse:

2a53jM7.jpg

And from pinballarcade.com:
1. Tarek Oberdieck 999,732,800
2. vikingerik 999,662,230
3. WlkBtwnRnDrps 846,601,810
4. geohoo 604,575,360
5. Space Tractor 540,795,470
6. krazysteve1958368,017,470
7. chk341,982,260
8. Roy Wils 340,221,360
9. Mart 314,601,390
10. csw 309,228,080

Interesting that a lower score from Roy Wils is there (on the website). I know his 703M has been there for easily a year. That was the #1 score at the time I got my 998M, then my score was #1 for most of this year (little did I know it may have been beaten long ago and I just never saw it.) Moovenstein got his score fairly recently. I think syncing with this table has been broken for a while. Also as you can see, evidently there's no ceiling at a billion. If I knew that, I would have kept playing. I'm thinking the PS4 version might get me back into it again.
I wonder if everyone else who doesn't show up on the website's list is on PS3/Vita?

BTW, how'd you score that high on AFM? I don't think it's much of a secret that the way to these scores is to get the game "on rails" and set up safe, repeatable shots. That damn right orbit STDM drain though... does it happen on the PC version? That bug killed my will to keep chasing the leaderboards.

Last edited:

Zaphod77

Feb 14, 2013
The Gangway extra ball is NOT limited. I collected it at least five times in a game. Since you can collect both that and the Mystery Mirror EB on every ball, yeah it's pretty easy to play Funhouse forever, you can make up for a ball that drains too quick without completing the mirror.
it's once per ball. but yeah that allows you to recover. It's a worthwhile goal if you have enough room for it.
As for regular multiball, I've got a simpler sequence for hitting the million plus than Sean described in the first post of this thread, once you hit the trap door once.

- Start with ball 1 on the right flipper and ball 2 about to come out of the scoop eject (like after a trap door shot)
- Shoot ramp with ball 1, then hold the right flipper to catch ball 2 out of the scoop and keep holding it
- With ball 1 from the ramp, shoot the lock hallway
- With ball 1 from the lock, shoot the trap door
- Start over again by shooting the ramp with still-held ball 2 before ball 1 comes out of the eject.

If you keep the timing on the right rhythm, you don't need the mirror shot at all. Before each ball ejects from the scoop, start the ramp-lock-trapdoor sequence with the other ball. That's all there is to it. Ramp - right Gangway - trapdoor is also an option, which is more fun IMO and works towards the Gangway EB, though recovering from misses is more chancy.
This is how it's done in real life, if you have a kickout that cooperates. HOWEVER... in TPA, hidden hallway after the ramp is as difficult as direct trapdoor after hidden hallway. SO that's why ramp to superdog to mirror to dead bounce to hallway is used instead.

DokkenRokken

Banned
Apr 7, 2014
I only just now looked at the leaderboards via pinballarcade.com. I never have before. From the looks of it, all the top tens except Funhouse are the same (at least the ones where I have a top ten score)

Here's what PS3/Vita shows right now for Funhouse:

2a53jM7.jpg

And from pinballarcade.com:

Interesting that a lower score from Roy Wils is there (on the website). I know his 703M has been there for easily a year. That was the #1 score at the time I got my 998M, then my score was #1 for most of this year (little did I know it may have been beaten long ago and I just never saw it.) Moovenstein got his score fairly recently. I think syncing with this table has been broken for a while. Also as you can see, evidently there's no ceiling at a billion. If I knew that, I would have kept playing. I'm thinking the PS4 version might get me back into it again.
I wonder if everyone else who doesn't show up on the website's list is on PS3/Vita?

BTW, how'd you score that high on AFM? I don't think it's much of a secret that the way to these scores is to get the game "on rails" and set up safe, repeatable shots. That damn right orbit STDM drain though... does it happen on the PC version? That bug killed my will to keep chasing the leaderboards.

Moovenstein is a known hacker and troublemaker on the FB page. (His other names include "Bill Smith", "Moo", and several hundred other names he goes by over on the FB page.)

He gets banned at least 5 times a month from the page for starting trouble.

timedragon

Sep 18, 2015
Question(s) About Mystery Mirror

Just can't figure it out. I complete the Mystery Mirror on pretty much every ball I play, but I have not completely figured out how it functions. That is embarrassing to admit, because I've been playing a long time. Although, I have never done a lot of research. I tried though and I can not find an in-depth guide to it. My problem is with the lighting system. I know when a solid light is on an objective in the Mystery Mirror, it means that objective is complete. And when a flashing light is active, it means that objective can be activated by shooting the ball into the mirror. But, most of the time, I just get a whooshing sound and nothing else happens. So I shoot to the pop bumpers to get a flashing light on one of the other Mystery Mirror objectives. Sometimes when I shoot the Mystery Mirror after that, I activate a new objective, sometimes ... just the same whooshing sound again. And again. Sometimes the objective activates though, and it seems so random. What am I missing?

Fungi

Feb 20, 2012
Just can't figure it out. I complete the Mystery Mirror on pretty much every ball I play, but I have not completely figured out how it functions. That is embarrassing to admit, because I've been playing a long time. Although, I have never done a lot of research. I tried though and I can not find an in-depth guide to it. My problem is with the lighting system. I know when a solid light is on an objective in the Mystery Mirror, it means that objective is complete. And when a flashing light is active, it means that objective can be activated by shooting the ball into the mirror. But, most of the time, I just get a whooshing sound and nothing else happens. So I shoot to the pop bumpers to get a flashing light on one of the other Mystery Mirror objectives. Sometimes when I shoot the Mystery Mirror after that, I activate a new objective, sometimes ... just the same whooshing sound again. And again. Sometimes the objective activates though, and it seems so random. What am I missing?

After completing an objective, hit Rudy in the mouth to relight. Hitting pop bumpers just changes the mirror objectives.

pezpunk

Jul 29, 2012
After completing an objective, hit Rudy in the mouth to relight. Hitting pop bumpers just changes the mirror objectives.

yup, gotta hit rudy to re-light the mirror. there is a white insert just below the mirror hole that indicates whether it's lit or not.

timedragon

Sep 18, 2015
Thanks Fungi and pezpunk!

there is a white insert just below the mirror hole that indicates whether it's lit or not.

Goodness, how HOW did I not catch on to that. All this time I've been hearing "light the Mystery Mirror" and I'm thinking... lights are becoming solid, lights are flashing on the mirror - Its obviously "lit", what the hell is everyone talking about?! But I was missing that white arrow indication. Hah, and I thought I was embarrassed before! Oh well. Now I can really attempt to master this game. Funny thing, as I mentioned in my other thread that I don't like to do Rudy Hits due to potential loss of control, I always did it anyway because I couldn't resist! And that alone is how I always unknowingly lit the mirror again and again :eek:

timedragon

Sep 18, 2015
Thanks again you guys for helping me understand the Mystery Mirror. Because of your help I easily broke 100M tonight! I know its not a very high score compared to a lot of you, but I took a pic anyway because it shows a nice jump up from my average area. I have high hopes for my future score because honestly after Ball 1 reached 60m tonight... I was really tired of playing. Kind of let things slip away at that point. I even lost ball 2 after like 3 minutes ... Anyway, thanks again and again for the help, guys :)

Members online

Members online