Lower playfield tips?

Wigoutboy

Sep 5, 2012
I just can't seem to last more than 5 seconds in the lower playfield. It's very frustrating :(. Any tips for lasting lasting longer on the lower playfield?

superballs

Apr 12, 2012
Now that I've suppressed all the inappropriate jokes that came to mind, here's a proper answer:

All your techniques are valid here, just remember that you have to reverse your up/down nudging. Don't flip like crazy either....slow the ball down whenever you can. The right loop will increase your bonus multiplier, go for that first. If you haven't locked your ball yet, the path on the left is the ball lock, go for that.

The right targets are your next goal. Each time you hit all 3, you advance the value of the left lane on the top level. Can't remember what the right drop targets do.

At this point you want to go back up to the top portion and hit the BLACK and HOLE targets until you have at least one gravity accelerator active. Both if you can muster it. Remember the lower playfield isn't very good for scoring but for building your bonus. It's easier to do that when the scoring is 2x or 3x. Play the lower section every bit as deliberately or more even than you would a normal pinball table, make each shot count. That said, just try and have the gate open in case you drain because the lower level was built to disorient and be a drain monster.

pezpunk

Jul 29, 2012
the new ruleset alters the optimal strategy (in my opinion, it's way too easy and decidedly less strategic now, but that's a topic for another thread). the gate stays open permanently once opened, so there's no need to debate whether or not to intentionally drain. also, you can no longer stack extra balls. you can only have one extra ball at a time, no matter how many you pick up. this second change means your first priority on every ball is to secure an extra ball (since you can't have any extras in the bank), and also it no longer matters if you advance the white targets to light special before picking up the EB (previously, you could grab both on the same ball, but not anymore).

anyway, first priority on the lower playfield needs to be to knock down either the white or orange targets, to permanently open the gate, eliminating "re-entry failure" (drain). i find the white ones easiest to complete, but your mileage may vary. after that, knock down the white targets at least one more time (to light extra ball or special) and then go for the multiplier loop until it's maxed. then (and this is new) just try to keep it there as long as possible. there's no gain (anymore) to intentionally draining down (up?) to the upper playfield. as superballs mentions, try to slow it down. you can keep the flippers extended most of the time without much risk. the targets are pretty safe, too. it's mostly the multiplier loop accelerating the ball that gets me. the drop targets tend to deaden it, which is good.

(on the old version, the ideal strategy was to try to advance the white targets to the extra ball, then intentionally drain as soon as you open the gate -- this is because of two differences: first, the gate opening and closing all the time, and second, the ability to stack multiple extra balls, so you want to pick up both the extra ball and special on seperate trips to the lower playfield. this strategy is of course obsolete now.)

superballs

Apr 12, 2012
I didn't know they fixed that...not yet on the 360 though I think...hopefully soon...i'll be busting out wicked scores..

Deltaechoe

Aug 30, 2013
Year off necropost but yeah, the trick to playing the lower field on this table is to play it just as deliberately as you play the top field. If you take careful shots you can "easily" get a bonus worth more than 500k, just make sure you take into account this priority list, bank of 3 drop targets if gate is closed, the left ramp if you haven't locked a ball there, the right ramp if you don't have 5x, then after that just hit anything down there and try to keep your ball from draining as long as possible.

Another trick that works right now, if you do open the gate and manage to drain the lower level, if the first ramp you shoot after re entry is the lower level ramp again the gate remains open. If you miss that ramp, the gate will shut however and you will have to open it again.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.