HDMI output on TF300T: Results and Questions

jaredmorgs

Staff member
May 8, 2012
I have been experimenting with HDMI output on the TF300T for Pinball Arcade. Overall, it works really well.

What I have
  • Full-screen play.
  • Mirror mode between screens.

What I don't have

The only thing I'm not getting is sound output from the monitor speakers, but I'm 95% sure that is an issue with the HDMI implementation of the tablet.

I "hot-connect" the tablet to the monitor (which means plug the already running tablet into an already powered-on screen). Would having everything switched off before making connection make any difference to this?

TPA-specific Observations

I've noticed that the output to the display (a HD capable LG monitor) results in a lot of aliasing.

Even with the graphics quality set to High, I'm still observing a fair bit of aliasing on some mid-field playfield detail, and quite noticeable aliasing on far-field playfield detail. This is in contrast to the tablet's 10.1 inch display.

Because playing TPA on a display on Android is probably not even on the development radar, I would imagine that I will need to wait until the High-detail models are enabled in the future to see any improvement to this.

I've switched between cropped and stretched mode, but it doesn't seem to make a difference.

Johnnydoe

Mar 28, 2012
Interesting subject, since I have the same tablet and I've tried with hdmi to my 46" tv and the quality is subpar, I would say. Not surprising, but still disappointing.
I do get sound though.

DopedToInfinity

Mar 31, 2012
My HDMI adapter arrived for my ipad2 today, and I tried it on TPA with my 1080p tv. I noticed a lot of aliasing too. I don't know what the screen resolution is on the TF300T, but I know my TV is higher res than my ipad2.

I wonder if it's like when you play 16-bit roms on your monitor and they look blocky compared to when they used to get played on a CRT screen, the monitor shows up the imperfections?

jaredmorgs

Staff member
May 8, 2012
My HDMI adapter arrived for my ipad2 today, and I tried it on TPA with my 1080p tv. I noticed a lot of aliasing too. I don't know what the screen resolution is on the TF300T, but I know my TV is higher res than my ipad2.

I wonder if it's like when you play 16-bit roms on your monitor and they look blocky compared to when they used to get played on a CRT screen, the monitor shows up the imperfections?

I've got a feeling that might be the issue here.

Screen resolution is 1280 x 800 natively on the TF300T.

When I connect the HDMI cable, I am getting a reported 1280 x 720. I think the extra 80 pixels that are missing might be causing the effect.

Also, TPA runs in "compatibility mode" on Android Tablets, which stretches the display or zooms the display. Until TPA is made to run HD natively, I think the quality issue will continue to be a problem.

I'm surprised that quality is an issue on iPad though DopedToInfinity.

spoonman

Apr 20, 2012

Emulated games appearing blocky or smooth generally depends on weather or not the program is applying a smoothing [bilinear filter]. Some of the better emulators on the PS3
for example will give you the option. Neo-Geo Station gives you the option of pixel perfect (which looks identical to how it would on an original 16-bit console from 1990 or smoothing which blurs the pixels to give you a more modern look. For the record I prefer pixel perfect and un-blurred.

So does this mean that the video out will work on an iPod Touch 4 with the correct cable?
I buy and play all of the tables on my PS3 so it's not a huge deal, but it might be kind of neat to see how they compare on an HDTV.

Members online

Members online