Request Beta of Pinball Arcade for PC?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Frostyglitch

Apr 3, 2012
I was having issues with Steams dev sit yesterday. Turns out they were having server issues and they said ETA was Monday for those being fixed. Without the dev site I can't update builds or set them as live. So it look like early next week.

On the bright side, putting the beta out early in the week makes more sense since we'll be at the office and able to work on initial issues like crashes or game not running.

Thanks for the update Mike, I'm getting excited all over again! I can't wait for the preorder option to become available. It's been a long road that I feel like all the fans have journeyed with you guys on. We should have a beta block party in Big Bear in honor of the occasion next weekend. ;)

Pinballwiz45b

Aug 12, 2012
Are you planning on doing SteamPlay that'll include Mac and (hopefully) Linux as well? Buy once, play it for all 3 platforms.

Pete

Jul 16, 2012
it should play fine on your 465 but definitely don't expect it to look like the ps4. the ps4 has something allot like a 650 in it. the 670 is actually slightly more powerful than what the ps4 has in it(ps4= 1.84 TFLOPS, gtx 670= 2.4595 TFLOPS.). that is of course due to budget and pricing of the console, and a 670 costs about as much as a ps4. here is your card compared to the 670.

http://www.hwcompare.com/12528/geforce-gtx-465-vs-geforce-gtx-670/

Last edited:

Sean DonCarlos

Staff member
Mar 17, 2012
This is a pinball simulator we're talking about. We're not trying to render an entire outdoor environment at 1920 x 1080 with reflective water and animated grass and multiple shadows per object and 16x anisotropic filtering and ambient occlusion and dynamic weather and the whole nine yards. I doubt very much that either version will tax its respective hardware very heavily.

Although if FarSight wants to try, I have twin GTX 480s that have yet to find any game for which I did not have to impose a 60-FPS cap to prevent them from burning down the place.

superballs

Apr 12, 2012
This is a pinball simulator we're talking about. We're not trying to render an entire outdoor environment at 1920 x 1080 with reflective water and animated grass and multiple shadows per object and 16x anisotropic filtering and ambient occlusion and dynamic weather and the whole nine yards. I doubt very much that either version will tax its respective hardware very heavily.

Although if FarSight wants to try, I have twin GTX 480s that have yet to find any game for which I did not have to impose a 60-FPS cap to prevent them from burning down the place.

But imagine they threw all those resources into a pinball table. All the reflections into the chrome and a leaky roof can be the dynamic weather?

Sean DonCarlos

Staff member
Mar 17, 2012
But imagine they threw all those resources into a pinball table. All the reflections into the chrome and a leaky roof can be the dynamic weather?
More realistic than you think. The ceiling at Third Rail Bar & Grill (where my last league season was played) once leaked suddenly and about a quart of water was released...directly onto a pristine Tron LE! Thankfully there were a bunch of players in the room at the time and we were able to dry it off before anything bad happened to the $15,000 machine.

Pete

Jul 16, 2012
it's not that the 465 can't handle it, it can definitely play the game and im sure it can do it in full speed, it's not a speed issue it's just that the textures and edges are never going to look as good as on ps4 on a more than 3 year old card. unless you get a newer card the ps4's is going to look better.

The Geforce GTX 670 will be quite a bit (about 284%) faster than the 465 with regards to texture filtering than the GeForce GTX 465.

Geforce GTX 670 102480 Mtexels/sec
GeForce GTX 465 26708 Mtexels/sec

Difference: 75772 (284%)

Sean DonCarlos

Staff member
Mar 17, 2012
I'm aware that a GTX 670 is going to be significantly more capable than a GTX 465. What I'm saying is that it is highly unlikely that TPA's requirements will be such that the difference will be apparent. It's just like the fact that my second GTX 480 probably is not going to show much improvement for TPA over a single 480, because it is unlikely with everything else going on that FarSight found time to add SLI support.

warh0g

Jan 3, 2013
I think my DX11 capable hd6570 will ace this :p , you can play Borderlands 2 on it (albeit not on any remarkable settings) it can't be that GPU intense?

Mike Reitmeyer

FarSight Employee
Mar 13, 2012
Since we don't have the lighting working on PC yet, I can't really say how well some hardware will perform. I don't think it'll require the latest high end card to run with full lighting. The higher powered cards will give you higher resolution (if you have a monitor that supports over 1080) and higher AA.

Sara

Jul 20, 2013
Any news on this now that Monday's here? I know this stuff takes time, and I'm patient, but I'm just wondering.

I was also wondering, if it's going to take some time to get the keys out there, who's going to get the keys first? I think the earliest PC backers of the earliest KS should get it first, myself. (I'm not even close to being one of them, mind you!)

I'm running a pretty old video card at this point myself, a GeForce 9600 GT. I'd guess it'll be absolutely fine in DX9 with the old lighting, but it's not a DX11 card, so the new lighting might be right out when it comes...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Members online