Quotes Removed/Changed By Family Mode

Sean DonCarlos

Staff member
Mar 17, 2012
For those who don't have access to a real Scared Stiff and wondering what all the "family mode" hubbub is about, here's what you're missing:

• Upon starting The Stiff in the Coffin: After the "Get up! Whatsa matter, you dead or something? Watch this!" it's missing the final "I'll get him up!".
  • Upon scoring a lot of consecutive jackpots in Terror from the Crate or The Stiff in the Coffin: The random quote "Oooooh! I'm having multiple jackpots!" is replaced with a much tamer "Aaaaah....".
  • Upon collecting Shrunken Head: The game is silent instead of the quote "He always wanted a little head!".
  • Upon looping the Bony Beast ramp multiple times: The quote "Ugh, ride that bony beast!" is missing. (Or I didn't loop enough, but I'm pretty sure 5 in a row is enough.) Apparently the "that thing is huge!" and "...and ribbed, too!" quotes are also absent.
  • Upon scoring a large end-of-ball bonus: Elvira says "That was awesome!" instead of "That was a huge bon....us!"
  • Upon hitting the replay score: Elvira says "Free game!" instead of "Another notch for my bedpost." (Thanks arcaner!)
Amazingly, the "Get it in there!" quote, said in a tone that leaves no doubt about what "it" is, made it.

Corrections and additions gratefully accepted.

Last edited:

Sean DonCarlos

Staff member
Mar 17, 2012
Thanks for compiling this. Now I'm really looking forward to hearing these.
The video at http://pinball.org/videos/gameplay-videos/scared-stiff has most of the quotes. Not quite the same as being there, of course. Be sure to turn up the volume, the "multiple jackpots" one in particular is nearly drowned out by a lot of other table sounds.

I'm sure a quick perusal of YouTube can cover most of them as well.

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
Stupid family mode! I really don't think any of those are worse than what's in MM. I know for sure they'd go over most kid's heads that are under the age of 12. Makes me curious as to what other tables have family mode. I know Earthshaker does.

Jeff Strong

Staff member
Feb 19, 2012

alexk3954

Mar 8, 2012
I wonder if it would be possible to switch this if we had access to the operators menu. Or would that force the entire TPA to receive a different rating?

Rudy

Sep 13, 2012
I guess we'll have to wait and see. Medievil Madness' operator menu should come a lot sooner and if that allows changes to the speech (Who the #### are you?) then Scared Stiff should EASILY be able to be modified providing they keep the pro dlc going that long <_<

Sean DonCarlos

Staff member
Mar 17, 2012
I guess we'll have to wait and see. Medievil Madness' operator menu should come a lot sooner and if that allows changes to the speech (Who the #### are you?) then Scared Stiff should EASILY be able to be modified providing they keep the pro dlc going that long <_<
If I remember correctly, Medieval Madness actually has two different sound ROMs, one censored and one not. It's not an operator menu setting.

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
MM is the one bit of censorship I have no problem with. I find bleeping to be funny in truth. For me innuendo is perfectly fine, out and out swearing suddenly limits who I can play the table around.

Sean DonCarlos

Staff member
Mar 17, 2012
MM is the one bit of censorship I have no problem with. I find bleeping to be funny in truth. For me innuendo is perfectly fine, out and out swearing suddenly limits who I can play the table around.
So true. One good set of "multiple jackpots" is worth a thousand F-bombs.

Chk1975

Aug 28, 2012
Missing:
When shooting the left ramp sometimes elvira says "eyes of the boney breast...uh beast"
When collecting an extra ball originaly elvira takes the extra ball from her cleavage.

Hinph

Feb 29, 2012
I don't understand why it is necessary to censor. Certainly, none of these quotes would boost the game up from its current E 10+ rating... "mild-suggestive themes" is already covered. And on platforms such as Android and iOS, the game isn't even rated.

I would also agree that all of these would go right over young children's heads.

Brandon Debes

Mar 29, 2012
I wonder if it would be possible to switch this if we had access to the operators menu. Or would that force the entire TPA to receive a different rating?

Yeah, I think Mike confirmed at one point (around the launch of MM) that they are using the family mode sound sets to avoid ratings complications. I'm sure if they ever work out a way around this limitation, though, the uncensored samples will be locked up behind their unfortunately mispriced "pro mode" paywall.

arcaner

Sep 2, 2012
It also appears that Shrunken Head "He always wanted a little head." and Sleepy Head "Watch This I'll get him up." have been removed.

spoonman

Apr 20, 2012
I never thought we would see censorship in a pinball game in 2012! :p

Meanwhile you can now say the word "dick" on primetime over the air stations it seems. They are making the most of that one too.

superballs

Apr 12, 2012
Missing:
When shooting the left ramp sometimes elvira says "eyes of the boney breast...uh beast"
When collecting an extra ball originaly elvira takes the extra ball from her cleavage.

The cleavage animation is still there, I saw it on my one session.

Yeah, I think Mike confirmed at one point (around the launch of MM) that they are using the family mode sound sets to avoid ratings complications. I'm sure if they ever work out a way around this limitation, though, the uncensored samples will be locked up behind their unfortunately mispriced "pro mode" paywall.

Having to unlock non family mode is something that actually makes pro mode worthwhile. However, they should make it so that if you only change that it doesn't disqualify you from the leaderboards (or have a leaderboard friendly non-family mode preset).

esp2000

Jun 4, 2012
I really wish that they had the non-family mode available. Hopefully it can be unlocked through the operators menu in pro mode when released for this table. I would buy that for sure for this option.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.