The Pinball Arcade Selection screen (a quick review of each!)

spoonman

Apr 20, 2012
I really think many things need fixing BEFORE this, but let's scroll through and see what's going on here....
(On 2.0.4 by the way) and running @ 1080p on the PlayStation 3.

Again these are my thoughts on JUST the TPA PS3 Selection Screens and not the tables themselves:

TPA_6Packs-VGO_800px.jpg

Tales of the Arabian Nights
Looks pretty nice. A bit too blurry IMO.

Ripley's Believe it or not
Fantastic! The background pops and the machine is sharp and clear.

Black Hole
Meh... The background is too zoomed in. The machine looks OK.

Theatre of Magic

"Amazing!"... Why can't they all look this clear!?

Bride of Pin-Bot
The bg pic should have the color saturation of the backglass. It's too washed out looking. "She's NOT alive" :(

Medieval Madness
The background is both fuzzy/blurry and looks as if it's color faded?

Fun House
A clock... Why not have something more "fun" Rudy's face would have been better IMO.

Cirqus Voltaire
Nice resolution here, but it needs more color saturation. Otherwise not too bad.

Gorgar
Dark and blurry background. Such a shame since the table looks amazing.

Monster Bash

The background is too dark, bad resolution scan which has been blurred.

Black Knight
Holy hell!!! Sad sad sad.... Looks like a thumbnail emoticon that has been blown up. Worst so far.

Creature from the Black Lagoon
The background tint is all wrong. Just compare to the backglass. The machine is also a bit low res here.

Taxi
Not bad. Colors are a little off. Machine looks good 'cept for the blue playfield??

Harley Davidson
Very good quality background here. Machine looks good too.

Elvira and the Party Monsters
The bg looks very low resolution and its really too bad since she deserves better!! Artifacting is a dead giveaway on low resolutions being blown up.

No Good Gofers
Ditto with above. Machine looks good though.

Let me know what you guys think.

Last edited:

smbhax

Apr 24, 2012
Am I remembering this wrong or did they say that at some point the current table select menu will be replaced with something more like a vertical text list? In that case they might not be too concerned about tweaking the existing menu.

Tron

Jul 8, 2012
I believe the Black Knight selection screen is a blown up ios image ported over in a rush to get the Pack out of the door. Creature table looks suspect of this too.

Sinistar

Jun 20, 2012
This should be moved to the game Art Discussion area where the FarSight Dev , Jason Juneau who is the lead artist can better see it.

spoonman

Apr 20, 2012
This should be moved to the game Art Discussion area where the FarSight Dev , Jason Juneau who is the lead artist can better see it.

I was going to post it there, but I thought that was more about table art and didn't really cover the selection screen much.

Also, does anyone have all the tables and access to an HD capture card? It would be nice to have samples of each of them.

Jim O'Brien

Feb 28, 2012
I was thinking about the screens the other day and I'm to the point that maybe they have kept them low res for quicker loading times and to save space for the game. Kind of miss the backglass shots from PHOFtWC they looked fantastic in HD.

spoonman

Apr 20, 2012
I was thinking about the screens the other day and I'm to the point that maybe they have kept them low res for quicker loading times and to save space for the game. Kind of miss the backglass shots from PHOFtWC they looked fantastic in HD.

I think it's more to do with the source materials they had available for scanning than anything.
Why else would they use low res, pixelated graphics for roughly one third of the previews.

I also believe all of the preview screens all have to be displayed in the same resolution, in which case the more pixelated picture such as Black Knight would actually take up
more space than a smoothed out image since it's more picture data.

Same holds true to lighter pictures over something that has been darkened to the point of erasing picture data (better known as "crushing blacks").
I know this from scanning 5,000+ game boxes, magazines, comics since 1996.
Back when I had to come in under a certain size restraint, without dropping the resolution I would just smooth it a tad or add contrast. :)

Kolchak357

Senior Pigeon
May 31, 2012
I hope they address this soon. Flipping through the current table menu causes frequent crashes on my iPad 1. Is anyone else having this problem?

Sinistar

Jun 20, 2012
re: Elvira and the Party Monsters Art backglass menu load screen.

Elvira and the Party Monsters
The bg looks very low resolution and its really too bad since she deserves better!! Artifacting is a dead giveaway on low resolutions being blown up.

To me it looks like someone reproduced the painted backglass art with a copy , not actual promotional artwork , as if someone copied it with pencils or pastels or something. However it just might be a low res scan off the promotional flyer , which would explain the grainy look . If they did make the menu for EATPM from a bad scan, they just need to photograph the back glass with a glare filter on , and use that .

budtki@verizon.net

Aug 20, 2012
if you read my post (ELVIRA, another funny machine) or my other post (fixable undesireables) you will see that i am NOT talking about the back glass, i AM talking about the machines themeselves, you know, the playfield, the bumpers, ramps, playability...i could really care less about the back glass.

spoonman

Apr 20, 2012
I see this was moved.
I can't really say this holds true for any other versions.
So just keep in mind my post was specific to the PlayStation 3

At this point I think Farsight should just replace this setup with a screen full of thumbnail sized logos in alphabetical order.

Jason Juneau

FarSight Employee
Aug 10, 2012
Sorry for the long absence, I will be spending some of my time today going through the art forums and trying to answer as many questions as possible. I can say that we are working on a new menu for this game. We are doing are best to get it out there as soon as we can.

spoonman

Apr 20, 2012
Sorry for the long absence, I will be spending some of my time today going through the art forums and trying to answer as many questions as possible. I can say that we are working on a new menu for this game. We are doing are best to get it out there as soon as we can.

Hello Jason.
I appreciate the reply and look forward to the new menu.

spoonman

Apr 20, 2012
Sorry but your "6 Table Pack visual checklist" has been driving me crazy. Scared Stiff is in pack 7 isn't it?

When I made the list it was based on the news of "An Elvira table" with no mention of which so I took a chance on it.
I'll update it when new packs are announced.

Sorry for the trouble it's caused.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.