No Good Gofers on TPA (PS3) What are your thoughts?

spoonman

Apr 20, 2012
I love the table and I'm glad to see it join the others on The Pinball Arcade, but (Yep.. sorry there is always a but :p ) again, the table just doesn't
pop like it does on Williams Pinball Hall of Fame. I really, REALLY want that day/night slider badly!

A friend, who used to play the WPHOF version of this quite a bit with me asked "So why is the tables not lit anymore".

Williams Pinball Hall of Fame Version
Skip to 3:13

Compare with:
The Pinball Arcade Version
http://youtu.be/uoD4_k3HjbI?t=18s

I also have a hard time seeing what's going on under the ramps. I don't know if it's the camera angle or what, but I don't see enough of the gofers anymore.

Sinistar

Jun 20, 2012
Well now I know why they did it so damn bright . As I have stated before, it's painfully obvious that PHOF versions of TPA tables are over edited into a completley different look for the sake of change . We dont want people accusing FarSight of recycling the same graphics and ripping off buyers? Personally I like the old 'in the dark versions" of PHOF tables , but they are committed to make them diffrent.

As for No Good Gofers , it's joining Medieval Madness as one of the most humorous tables of the game . I love it , makes me smile.

Last edited:

smbhax

Apr 24, 2012
They seem to be using something like pre-rendered lightmaps or gradient shading or something like that for lighting/shadow in Pinball Arcade on PS3; unfortunately, they don't seem to have support for *animated* lightmaps (or whatever), so shading across the table can't actually react to lights flashing.

This (apparent) technical limitation also runs into trouble with large moving parts; if you observe the shading on the lamp in Arabian Nights, for instance, you'll see that the highlights and shadows on the lamp are fixed to the surface, and always look the same, no matter which way the lamp has rotated. This would also occur with something like the spinning section of the table on Gophers: if they tried to make it appear to be lit from one direction, say the nearest playfield light, that illusion would be completely broken when the wheel spun, taking the lighting around in a circle with it. Maybe that's why they had to go with completely bland gray lighting across the playfield there.

DrainoBraino

Apr 11, 2012
NGG looks terrible. I have played the real game many many times. My girlfriend is a huge fan of NGG and she barely recognized it when we fired up for the first time a few days ago. "looks weird" she says.

brakel

Apr 27, 2012
I think the TPA version looks better than the PHoF version. Its also a lot easier to see whats going on with the ramps in the TPA version.

Fuseball

May 26, 2012
Regardless of the fact that dynamic lighting is currently impossible in TPA, they've made no effort to simulate the relatively static light in NGG at all. The slingshots, for example, are not lit at all, which is simply not how the game looks. The only playfield element that would be affected by dynamic lighting is the spinning disc, and that would be fine to leave as a flat colour.

I still think that TotAN and Gorgar are the best looking tables, where the playfield is lit sympathetically to the lighting generated by the lamps under the playfield plastics. That is at least fairly true to playing those games in low light conditions. NGG just looks as if the game's lighting is broken.

Kemetman72

Banned
Sep 12, 2012
They said something about HDR Lighting for the more powerful consoles....I wished they were not stretched so thin across too many platforms

smbhax

Apr 24, 2012
Having gone back and played the PHoF version, I'm glad the TPA one isn't *that* bright, at least--in PHoF it's almost blinding. 8 o

ScotchYeti

Apr 13, 2012
Yes, the PHoF version was too bright, it was really hurting the eyes. Now it looks okay but the colors could be more vibrant - I have played some quick games on an Android smartphone and would love if the colors would be like that.

Unfortunately it's a waste of time and energy to complain about the colors. Obviously Farsight has a PS3-TV setup on which it looks good. Remember "Black Knight"? Did we hear any comment about it? Not a single word. Or the too dark ToM?

dtown8532

Apr 10, 2012
Yes, the PHoF version was too bright, it was really hurting the eyes. Now it looks okay but the colors could be more vibrant - I have played some quick games on an Android smartphone and would love if the colors would be like that.

Unfortunately it's a waste of time and energy to complain about the colors. Obviously Farsight has a PS3-TV setup on which it looks good. Remember "Black Knight"? Did we hear any comment about it? Not a single word. Or the too dark ToM?

I second the need for a bump in color saturation for NGG. It does look too faded.

Tiedemann

Nov 5, 2012
I was really looking forward to this table as I loved it in PHoF but both this and the Elvira one got too many bugs for me to enjoy properly.
The ball have been flying off the table at least 5 times, multiple balls being stuck in the same hole and the stupid plunger cam that thinks I want it in multiball.
I will try the table again but I just kinda gave up after a couple of hours this weekend.

Crush3d_Turtle

May 15, 2012
The darkness really detracts from the visual quality on most of these tables for me.. I have been against it from the start and cannot wait for the lighting slider to be implemented so that I can actually see the colours and fantastic artwork of these tables.

Tabe

Apr 12, 2012
My thought on NGG when I started it up was "Where the heck is all the color?" I remembered the PHOF being a playful, bright, colorful table. The TPA version is a faded-out mess that seems to have little or no color at all.

Tabe

Lord Boron

Apr 18, 2012
I don't mind the environment being dark. I think that can make the lights really pop. But that doesn't mean the colors of the table need to be so dull and washed out. As many have mentioned, Gorgar handles the balance well. Dark environment so the lights have a nice glow, but the table is still vivid and colorful. I'm worried the a slider will just give us the same dull, faded table, just in a brighter environment.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.