The Music Video Thread

soundwave106

Nov 6, 2013
p.s. ... just one of those "OMG i never knew they actually made a 'video'/film of this one!"

From what I remember reading, the British music scene was particularly keen in making "music videos" in the pre-MTV days... which back then were mostly stuff like this that got sent to be played on Top of the Pops etc. if they couldn't get a live performance.

I'm just surprised how many of these old clips end up on Youtube! It's not like VCRs were a dime a dozen in 1970.

invitro

May 4, 2012
I remember reading that feminists found "In the Summertime" "problematic" back in 1970...

[FONT=&quot]"Ray Dorset's 70s rockers may have wanted to bring a bit of sun into our lives with this No.1 smash, but looking a little closer at the lyrics reveals some pretty skewed opinions on 'poor girls'." from [/FONT]https://www.virgin.com/music/unintentionally-controversial-songs

"Yesterday's trip down the backed-up memory superhighway of cringetacularly sexist pop culture reminded me of what I personally, at age eight, found to be the deepest outrage of the genre, Mungo Jerry's 1970 megahit "In The Summertime."" from http://jezebel.com/5024340/if-her-daddys-rich-take-her-out-for-a-meal-if-her-daddys-poor-shell-probably-cut-your-nuts-out

WhiteChocolate

Apr 15, 2014
And I love SCTV too!

BRILLIANT!!!!!!!! :)))))) for everyone who everyone else ever thought he was only "that ghostbusters guy" or "that 'shrunk the kids'" guy... love it!! :) this vid include his imitation of christopher cross?? :) -brilliant- stuff thair :)... (but as far as "cultural sensitivity"... let's not look too close at dave thomas' "lin ye tang" characterizations ;)... look i'm not ever -not- up for discussing weird cultural diffs, but if you're not a regular "daily show" watcher and just happen to live out in the middle of nowhere, i -understand-... you might feel like your old jokes just don't cut it anymore! ;0 guess you need some "comedy/cultural classes" to figure out what's where it's at or not... i don't know much else to add to that, then - that.)

gotta have a good-hearted attitude, reviewing and renewing humor. it's a tough job.

but sooo love that bit from the first big shout-disc collection of sctv... i first developed my "well at the very least, i vote with my money" attitude with that disc-set. bought them all first-release when they came out... love just that last little reaffirming bit, right at the end... "SCTV is on TV... again!" :)

Last edited:

WhiteChocolate

Apr 15, 2014
I remember reading that feminists found "In the Summertime" "problematic" back in 1970...

[FONT="]"Ray Dorset's 70s rockers may have wanted to bring a bit of sun into our lives with this No.1 smash, but looking a little closer at the lyrics reveals some pretty skewed opinions on 'poor girls'." from [/FONT][/COLOR]https://www.virgin.com/music/unintentionally-controversial-songs

"[FONT=ElizabethSerif]Yesterday's trip down the backed-up memory superhighway of [/FONT][URL="http://jezebel.com/5023961/did-your-parents-pop-culture-turn-you-into-a-feminist"]cringetacularly sexist pop culture[/URL] reminded me of what I personally, at age eight, found to be the deepest outrage of the genre, Mungo Jerry's 1970 megahit "In The Summertime."" from http://jezebel.com/5024340/if-her-daddys-rich-take-her-out-for-a-meal-if-her-daddys-poor-shell-probably-cut-your-nuts-out

;) beh! if you can't stomp your foot to it, then it's not worth much of anything. ;) honestly, i think this whole half-decade of dub-step-to-disney-princess-bs is going to die a very ugly death... it seems very much on the way, if not almost past, already.

-honest- music... foot-stompin', teeth-chompin' music... even if it's daft-punk techno-grade mod (sorry kiddies, if you even think -that's- too 'old-fashioned!') no matter how "intellectually offensive" or whatnot... HONEST-TO-GOD MUSICALITY is just not gonna die.

it's a natural that all rock, even to current times, is so primarily male-focused that the sexuality is going to be offensive - no matter the proposed literal or metaphorical age-range of the participants... lol! i mean, how much more can be said about that?

that being said, i'm -not- one of those "gamer-gate" types, protesting the new "ghostbusters" types of people! if you gotta use a restroom, i don't care which you use... let alone care what movie you see, or music you like, or "listen to this song once every five years" types, stomping your feet while you drink "America!" beer (didn't "budweiser" change their name to that earlier this summer? well wait, i saw a "budweiser" truck near work today unloading, but the truck still said "budweiser", not "america" - i was hoping to see a re-design of the trucks sayign something like "america! it'll f*** you up!" ... or, maybe, "america! you'll do things you won't want to remember, then have vulgar beer-sh*ts all the next day!")

;0 lol... i dunno, i jus' sayin'. ;)

WhiteChocolate

Apr 15, 2014
(dedpop posts some primo "prong", i hafta respond... ;) ;0 dedpop, you goddam rat-shiz bastahd... ;) you readin' my mind! ;)

here check soma dis shiz out... ;) extork too!! :)

i have so many music-videos in my head of these kids from this era, shoulda been produced at the time... trying to go back and do it now would be folly. (but, i would love if there were some sort of resurgent market-trend in revisiting and making music vids from older tracks, older albums by now!)

invitro

May 4, 2012
HONEST-TO-GOD MUSICALITY is just not gonna die.
It's not dead, it's only sleeping. Has been for twenty years now. No biggie... the Dark Ages lasted some 800 years.

That "In the Summertime" stuff was just to show that some people will protest anything. Even the notorious Jezebel didn't take it all too seriously. However, I'll bet that the feminists kept the song from reaching #1 in the US in 1970 (it only got to #3 here).

I actually wasn't aware of this song until two summers ago, when I was driving downtown and decided to listen to an AM radio station for some reason. This came on and I thought it was some 1920's song. I thought it was catchy and looked it up when I got home. I discovered Mungo Jerry, their videos and other songs, and of course my mind was blown.

I'll have to have an SCTV marathon one of these years. I never got its DVD sets mainly because I think I've seen every episode several times, starting with reruns back in 1989. I still have a pile of VHS tapes packed with episodes, that I've watched over and over. It's my all-time favorite TV show by far. Here's one of my favorite bits... Sammy Maudlin, Bobby Bittman, William B., and Moranis as Bobby's brother Skip!

WhiteChocolate

Apr 15, 2014
It's not dead, it's only sleeping. Has been for twenty years now. No biggie... the Dark Ages lasted some 800 years.

That "In the Summertime" stuff was just to show that some people will protest anything. Even the notorious Jezebel didn't take it all too seriously. However, I'll bet that the feminists kept the song from reaching #1 in the US in 1970 (it only got to #3 here).

I actually wasn't aware of this song until two summers ago, when I was driving downtown and decided to listen to an AM radio station for some reason. This came on and I thought it was some 1920's song. I thought it was catchy and looked it up when I got home. I discovered Mungo Jerry, their videos and other songs, and of course my mind was blown.

I'll have to have an SCTV marathon one of these years. I never got its DVD sets mainly because I think I've seen every episode several times, starting with reruns back in 1989. I still have a pile of VHS tapes packed with episodes, that I've watched over and over. It's my all-time favorite TV show by far. Here's one of my favorite bits... Sammy Maudlin, Bobby Bittman, William B., and Moranis as Bobby's brother Skip!

SCTV is comedy-gospel, bro. regards!! :) i have to count the fact that my folks "accidentally erased" the plasmatics epi as a pivotal point in my upbringing, lol - i was just at that "impressionable age", and they were enough of that kind of zealotly-religiously midwestern folk to mess up my recording. getting to finally see that and see what sort of rock brilliance that was only since the the millen is one of the highpoints of my life, honestly! (i think if we'd all had a bit more plasmatics throughout the eighties and ninties, we'd all be a lot better off now! :)

maybe we should loosen up the "rock vid" format a bit with more comedy; it's a staple of the fact - rock musicians wish they were comedians, and comedians wish they were rock stars! with many permutations that could be discussed inbetween... many of the best comedians are self-effacing, and yet musicians/rockers need to be "larger than life", in that spinal-tappish self-parodying kind of way. but, there's that own-the-stage mentality between both of them... it's an interesting "field of study!" :)

p.s. your vhs's are probably still a bit worth of value to some! i don't know if the mastertapes had ever fully gotten out of the old news-station's hands, even to "shout"... there's the ny museum of media or something like that, that keeps a repository of rare video, referenced in a couple of the shout sets... if they don't have a complete set, maybe your old set might be something they'd like to look at. :) (some of the old bits they couldn't get all the song rights to, i guess some museums are able to keep copies off. :)

Last edited:

WhiteChocolate

Apr 15, 2014
has it taken this long?? ;0 i think i just found elvira's eighties' "soul-sister!" ;)

Trapped In The Body Of A White Girl - Julie Brown

lol! "SCIENCE!"

Last edited:

WhiteChocolate

Apr 15, 2014
ah-ha! here's the "michael mcdonald" gerry todd show from SCTV! but unfortunately the video gets out of sync with the aud real quick, so hope you can deal with it... but gotta love this one, the repeated "doobie bros" fun going on. reportedly rick ran into mike at some awards show somewhere, and mike said he saw this bit... told him in his falsetto-husky voice, "brutal, man, brutal!"

SCTV: The Gerry Todd Show: Mike McDonald

WhiteChocolate

Apr 15, 2014
SCTV Monster Chiller Horror Theatre: Whispers of the Wolf

"who booked bergman?" man there's just so many good sctv bits, i could keep posting em till i crash! and i just might!

Last edited:

Members online

Members online