The Random Thought Thread

Jutter

Dec 30, 2012
If you're having a blast partaking in the current tournamet say AYE
Post your random thought, buy also say AYE.

AYE!

N

Nik Barbour

Let it snow, let it snow, let it snow...
naqu3uzy.jpg

Sledging again tomorrow! :D

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
Over at my friends house to watch some movies. In the past, I could tell something was off with his setup 'cause movies were looking squeezed, so tonight I checked it out. Here's what I found...

1080p TV, hooked up to a PS3, Blu Ray movie ready to go. Cables connecting the two? Composite!! Not component, not HDMI, but the crappiest cable possible. To make matters worse, his PS3 was switched for output to a 4:3 TV, not 16:9.

Sad thing is, he didn't really notice a difference between that and watching HD Dish which IS connected with component at least.

Things like that make me twitch something fierce!

Chris Dunman

Apr 11, 2012
Over at my friends house to watch some movies. In the past, I could tell something was off with his setup 'cause movies were looking squeezed, so tonight I checked it out. Here's what I found...

1080p TV, hooked up to a PS3, Blu Ray movie ready to go. Cables connecting the two? Composite!! Not component, not HDMI, but the crappiest cable possible. To make matters worse, his PS3 was switched for output to a 4:3 TV, not 16:9.

Sad thing is, he didn't really notice a difference between that and watching HD Dish which IS connected with component at least.

Things like that make me twitch something fierce!

Know what you mean Chris. Budget hotels we have in the UK I have to stay in for work, have widescreen TV's but a 4:3 picture stretched to fit!!!! Aaaaarrrrggggghhhhh

No matter what you say to reception, they just don't get it!!! Is it that hard????

I reckon that trumps your cable guy mate

N

Nik Barbour

Know what you mean Chris. Budget hotels we have in the UK I have to stay in for work, have widescreen TV's but a 4:3 picture stretched to fit!!!! Aaaaarrrrggggghhhhh

No matter what you say to reception, they just don't get it!!! Is it that hard????

I reckon that trumps your cable guy mate

I'm no stranger to UK travel lodges myself.
The answer to the cra@ppy TV issue - stay in the bar!:)

Chris Dunman

Apr 11, 2012
I'm no stranger to UK travel lodges myself.
The answer to the cra@ppy TV issue - stay in the bar!:)

If only matey! I always end up miles away from anywhere much less a bar!

That said, the most recent in Northwich is slap bang opposite a new huge pub with cracking grub. My luck is changing at last...

N

Nik Barbour

If only matey! I always end up miles away from anywhere much less a bar!

That said, the most recent in Northwich is slap bang opposite a new huge pub with cracking grub. My luck is changing at last...

You can always spot the people staying on business, in the adjacent pub to the hotel, because they either have a tablet or a book, and can make 1 drink last 2 hours. :)

Chris Dunman

Apr 11, 2012
You can always spot the people staying on business, in the adjacent pub to the hotel, because they either have a tablet or a book, and can make 1 drink last 2 hours. :)

Laughing!! You've been spying Nik.... I always want to call that pub the Waterhouse.. Don't ask me why.

Matt McIrvin

Jun 5, 2012
I find that surprisingly many people literally cannot tell the difference between a 16:9 HD picture, and 4:3 standard-def video stretched to fill a wide screen. They might get it if you carefully explain to them what to look for, but generally it just goes unnoticed.

I think that's why the default settings on widescreen TV monitors usually stretch a standard-def video picture instead of pillarboxing it: people are bothered by the black bars on the sides, but an image that's stretched out like it's printed on Silly Putty does not concern them.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.