The Random Thought Thread

Citizen

Oct 5, 2017
Best chips are Herr's.

419IaMBSZJL.jpg

Kolchak357

Senior Pigeon
May 31, 2012
Herr’s was started in Lancaster PA. Not too far from me. They didn’t start doing flavored chips until the late 1950’s. They do make some darn good ones.

My favorite chips of all time are Middleswarth’s bar-b-que. Got hooked on them in college. A little tough to find where I live though.

My favorite plain chip is Good’s. Another Pennsylvania company that still cooks the chips in lard (old school).

Last edited:

Heretic

Jun 4, 2012
Besides salt, potato chips weren’t flavored until the 1950s when Joe "Spud" Murphy, the owner of an Irish chip company called Tayto, developed a technology to add seasoning during the manufacture process. He developed several flavors that took off in Ireland, including Cheese & Onion and Salt & Vinegar. This spurred other producers to try their hand at flavors. In 1958, Herr's was the first company to introduce barbecue-flavored potato chips in Pennsylvania --a flavor still popular today.

‘‘Tis a small world after all heh

Heretic

Jun 4, 2012
Herr’s was started in Lancaster PA. Not too far from me. They didn’t start doing flavored chips until the late 1950’s. They do make some darn good ones.

My favorite chips of all time are Middleswarth’s bar-b-que. Got hooked on them in college. A little tough to find where I live though.

My favorite plain chip is Good’s. Another Pennsylvania company that still cooks the chips in lard (old school).

I do miss lard

EldarOfSuburbia

Feb 8, 2014
Best chips are Herr's.

419IaMBSZJL.jpg

Dem's fightin' words round here.

Utz? Middleswarth? Herr's? We do snack foods like no other.

Personally I'm a big Utz fan, but you can't go wrong with Middleswarth BBQ chips either.

Or, for that matter, a chip butty. (British definition. Chips != French Fries. Proper chips are thicker and best fried in grease that hasn't been swapped out since WW2. Combine with any kind of white bread and plenty of butter.)

Kolchak357

Senior Pigeon
May 31, 2012
Very true Eldar. Snacks are serious business around these parts. I dare not discuss pretzels at work. Large German/Dutch population around here. I’ve seen fist fights break out over pretzel arguments. Unique are my favorites, just don’t tell anyone I said that. I won’t even go into the soft pretzel debate.

BTW Utz makes a darn fine white cheddar cheese curl if you are into that sort of thing.

Citizen

Oct 5, 2017
Dem's fightin' words round here.

Utz? Middleswarth? Herr's? We do snack foods like no other.

I like Utz too. I can get Herr's and Utz stuff here, but I've never seen Middleswarth. I'll probably need to order some of those (and Tayto) online.

Snyder is another good chip maker from PA.

Biff

Sep 18, 2012
The term "Pennsylvania Dutch" is a little irritating from a European perspective. :rolleyes:

From wikipedia:
"The word "Dutch" does not refer to the Dutch people (Nederlanders) or their descendants, but to the German settlers (...)"

It refers to the word "Deutsch" (/Deitsch) which is the German word for German. :)

just saying ...

Heretic

Jun 4, 2012
The term "Pennsylvania Dutch" is a little irritating from a European perspective. :rolleyes:

From wikipedia:
"The word "Dutch" does not refer to the Dutch people (Nederlanders) or their descendants, but to the German settlers (...)"

It refers to the word "Deutsch" (/Deitsch) which is the German word for German. :)

just saying ...

*shrugs* doesn’t overalls matter dude it’s a colloquial term is all like all Irish eat lucky charms(unknown) and have red hair and green eyes(they can’t all be as sexy as me)

Biff

Sep 18, 2012
I said European perspective.

When a German or Dutchman reads "The Pennsylvania Germans are commonly known as the Pennsylvania Dutch", then
he wonders: "why?".

Heretic

Jun 4, 2012
I said European perspective.

When a German or Dutchman reads "The Pennsylvania Germans are commonly known as the Pennsylvania Dutch", then
he wonders: "why?".

Unless your 80 we have all be saturated by Americana , it’s not that I don’t get ya dude ...don’t mind me I’m just riffing

Edit - I doubt anyone asks why but may lament alittle heh,

Kolchak357

Senior Pigeon
May 31, 2012

From wikipedia:

just saying ...

You are totally correct. But they even refer to themselves as Pennsylvania Dutch or even Dutchies. So it’s not meant as a slur or put down. It is a bit confusing. They even have their own language. A mix of German, English, and some words all their own. My wife was raised in this area and can understand it, but it sounds like gibberish to me. Allentown used to have some beer gardens, but those are all closed down (as far as I know). You can still find some German restaurants and polka music if you look hard enough.
We also have a mix of Mennonite and Amish folks around here too. Which is pretty cool unless you get stuck behind a horse and have nowhere to pass. :D

Heretic

Jun 4, 2012
Go kickstart me for a weekend in an Amish community I’ll live stream it all via satellite or mobile if the coverage is good, they will either burn me at the stake or offer me the finest wench in town

Kolchak357

Senior Pigeon
May 31, 2012
Go kickstart me for a weekend in an Amish community I’ll live stream it all via satellite or mobile if the coverage is good, they will either burn me at the stake or offer me the finest wench in town

I don’t think you’d last too long in Amish country Hairy. At best you might get shunned or get a free exorcism. ;)

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.