The Random Thought Thread

Citizen

Oct 5, 2017
thanks fellas !!! :cool: I forgot , I know Citizen got RDR2 , anyone else playing it ? I`m up to chapter 4 . only called my nephew in for 2 gunfights in chapter 2 , I`m normally hopeless at shooting haha !!! I`ve surprised myself . enjoying the wild west greatly . I have a black Arabian , 2 Missouri Fox Trotters and a Turkoman . :cool: I haven`t touched a racing game , since I got RDR2 , not like me haha !!!!:cool:

So far I've found that letting the gauge fill to about 90% and then just mindlessly mashing the fire button is a pretty foolproof way to win every gunfight in the game.

Even against someone like Flacco who tries darting to the side when he draws.

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
Well, God of War went to $21 on PSN today. Guess I don't need to head to Target next Friday after all.

I’m a physical copy type person though. Not that it really matters with the entire game having to download to the HD, forcing me to delete other games.

Citizen

Oct 5, 2017
I also prefer physical when possible.

Unless the only option is a Limited Run Games release. I'm not overpaying for that forced scarcity garbage.

zmcvay

Sep 19, 2014
I'd say I prefer physical, but I've long been broken down on that front. I can't remember when it last seemed like a good idea to buy physical releases for PC. Even if you do, most of the time the box just has a download code. And sure, you get a disc for PS4 releases...that starts a huge download anyway when you insert the disc. It seems like the only benefit I get for buying physical for the PS4 or Switch anymore is that I can't play without swapping the disc or cart in.

bavelb

Apr 16, 2012
My daughter has a similar preference for discs. But I cant really be arsed about physical media anymore. Be it games, music or movies. So.many.boxes.

Jeff Strong

Staff member
Feb 19, 2012
I went all digital when I joined Steam a bit over a decade ago, which was about the same time that XBL and PSN started selling digital downloads, so I just embraced it and haven’t looked back.

Last edited:

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
I'm completely digital on PC, and Steam is entirely to blame. I didn't use my PC as a game system until I downloaded Steam for I think Portal. Once that door was opened though, whoosh. Music I went digital simply because of having an iPod. When you are converting everything to digital anyways, and then you get used to having 15,000 songs to pick from rather than 10 CDs in your car, yeah. Also I don't have the ears to be snooty about MP3 vs lossy vs analogue.

I prefer physical media for my consoles for a few reasons, but I do have digital downloads too. The main thing is because of the sheer size of the games, I keep running out of hard drive space and then have to delete something. I didn't use to have good high speed internet and it would take 18 hours to download a game. So even though it downloads from disc to hard drive anyways, I could start playing inside of 5 minutes. Also, I forget what games I have in digital as opposed to looking on my shelf. Yes, I know where to look on my PS4 to see what I own, but it's not organized as nicely as Steam allows you to do. But look at RDR2, that thing is over 100 gigs! Once you put that on your hard drive, are you really going to be quick to delete it knowing how long it'll take to redownload?

For movies, I am 100% physical media. I don't care how good your bandwidth is, the picture quality is not as good as the disc. Unlike my ears, my eyes do pick up on all the digital artifacts. I also like all the disc extras, which typically are missing from a digital copy. The other day something happened to my router that wasn't letting it connect with my TV, and I had been planning on watching Netflix. My first reaction was, well good thing I can just put on a movie in my collection instead. I don't watch movies on my phone, I don't watch on a tablet or laptop, I watch on my 65" 3D capable, 4K TV. I'm not hurting for space, I like having a wall of movies (my wife does this with books), and I never have to worry about them 'disappearing' from my library due to a license not being renewed.

zmcvay

Sep 19, 2014
The saves on storage benefit for the PS4 is shrinking rapidly though. I have a lot of games on disc that still install 50GB+ footprints. My disc copy of RDR2 came in the other day and immediately claimed over 90GBs of space once I popped the disc in (My all digital copy of God of War....Less than 50GB). For Black Friday this year you may want to look into getting a deal on an external drive. Last year I picked up a 2TB external drive for my PS4, and that's pretty much cleared up my space woes.

wolfson

May 24, 2013
I`m back , had a great time .first part to Tweed Heads not so great , everyone sick but I caught up with them on the return from Melbourne . I always bring good weather when I go to Melbourne . day before I arrived 20 cel after I arrived 31 cel , today back to 21 cel haha . zmcvay , I did the same for my XBOX and PS4 , no storage problems now . most 4k games are around 100gb , doesn`t take long to fill up !!!:cool:

Kolchak357

Senior Pigeon
May 31, 2012
Welcome back Wolfy. Glad you had a fun gun time. Send some of your good weather vibes my way. I could use a warm sunny day too. :)

Jeff Strong

Staff member
Feb 19, 2012
Last edited:

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
God of War is $17 at Gamestop and you can order online:

https://www.gamestop.com/ps4/games/god-of-war/131619

Ton of other good deals, check here for the full ad:

https://www.gamestop.com/gs/pages/holiday/2018/BlackFriday/Flyer/BF/pdf/BF_Ad.pdf

Aw man, I was just at a GameStop today! I picked up Horizon Zero Dawn for $10 since I keep getting told I should play it. I didn’t even think to check on God of War. Although I’m kinda inclined to wait, as there’ll probably be a Game of the Year edition in a few months with whatever extras I’m sure the game has. I heard the new Tomb Raider has 7 different DLC coming out for the next 7 months, so I won’t be picking that up either till it’s complete .

zmcvay

Sep 19, 2014
God of War is $17 at Gamestop and you can order online:

https://www.gamestop.com/ps4/games/god-of-war/131619[/url]

Thanks! But it hit $21 on PSN a few days ago and grabbed that already. Spider-Man is also down to $40 on PSN as well, my son was asking for that one pretty hard. I think I may be done with games shopping for Black Friday, got 3 open-world games that will keep me busy for quite awhile, especially since I promised myself I would have to finish Divinity: Original Sin 2 before starting anything else (87 hours in, started the game a few months ago, and still not sure how close to the end I am). I'm on the fence about grabbing Soulcalibur VI, I think I'll wait for an edition with all the DLC fighters bundled, but I think I'll pass on Shadow of the Tomb Raider. The last one wasn't any better than okay, and I'm not sure I'm up for more of the same. I picked up a nasty habit getting into a couple of miniatures games earlier this year, so I'm waiting on some sales for those before dropping any more money on other stuff.

The complete Horizon: Zero Dawn is a steal for $10. As an open-world game it was a bit bland, but the story missions were great, and fighting giant robot dinosaurs was a blast.

Jeff Strong

Staff member
Feb 19, 2012
Last edited:

zmcvay

Sep 19, 2014
Hope the rain continues, it looks like it's been brutal out there. Happy Thanksgiving all, hopefully I can stay awake enough after eating for some pinball afterwards.

wolfson

May 24, 2013
hope it rains gently for a couple of weeks so it soaks the ground . I picked up RDR1 for $17 au for XBOX1X which is enhanced . I`m not touching it until I finish and get sick of RDR2 .:cool:

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
Okay, I gave in. Since it was available online and included free delivery, I bought God of War for $17 at GameStop. Realized I'd kick myself if I missed out on it. Also helped that on PSN Store there wasn't any additional DLC for it, so waiting for a GOTY version seemed pointless. So between that and Horizon Zero Dawn, I think my PS4 gaming for the year should be pretty good, or at least until Last of Us II comes out. Now the hard part is going to be not cracking them open until Xmas!

wolfson

May 24, 2013
good onya Chris , great move , you got 2 great games , from what I`ve seen !!!:cool: I`m hopeless at fighting and shooting games , but I gave in to RDR2 . I have stumbled and fumbled my way through the game, which I have fallen in love with . normally I play one of my many racing games every day , but I `ve only touched my racing games on 2 occasions . that`s how much I`m enjoying RDR2 !!!:cool:

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Latest posts