The Random Thought Thread

wolfson

May 24, 2013
I don`t believe in picks , you can`t tell if they going to improve , have a ticker , or they can handle the pressure week in week out . we have the same system in our Aussie Rules , I think it`s crap . in our other 3 Football codes , you are brought through the junior setups , or you are picked by talent scouts that go around to schools and clubs . well that`s my 2 cents worth .:cool:

EldarOfSuburbia

Feb 8, 2014
American sports leagues are pretty much unique in the way they acquire young talent. They pretty much leave the youth/amateur development side of things to schools and universities, then throw money at kids in the hope that they turn into good solid pros.

Compare to say the Premier League where every club has its youth set up, and kids are brought through the ranks from a very early age and are schooled in the culture of becoming a pro much sooner. Not that they always handle it better, but you don't get 18yo kids having 7 figure bonuses thrown at them and all the pressure to perform from day 1.

wolfson

May 24, 2013
Eldar , we are use to EPL and football around the world . plus in football kids are sent on loan which usually sorts them out . I think I heard the other day some EPL clubs have up to 10 kids on loan . I love this system . and Ajax are the best in the youth system , there captain is only 19 years old and they just got beaten by Spurs in the semi of the Euros .:cool:

wolfson

May 24, 2013
Kolchak and Naildriver , doesn`t matter fellas , you are brought up on NFL , NBA and MLB . we have that many sports , we have to surf the tv . I`m lucky now , my new Kayo sports package , I can split the screen to watch 2 sports , 3 or 4 sports . if I have a night where there is more than 4 sports I turn the laptop on , and I can do the same . so I can watch 8 sports at the same time. we are bloody crazy mob with our sports .:cool: I pay $25 au a month and I can watch 2 screens at the same time . the amount of sport I watch , great value .:cool:

HulaHoop72

Feb 2, 2018
I just thought I would share this Top Ten Plays from the British Basketball League with you guys.
I recently started going to the London City Royals home games, (in Crystal Palace, so near to me) and I've really been enjoying it.
The Royals are through to the finals this Sunday, and I have tickets!
It'll be on the BBC website/Red Button for those of you in the UK

https://youtu.be/gPVhqTj7bEE

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk

Jeff Strong

Staff member
Feb 19, 2012
Kolchak and Naildriver , doesn`t matter fellas , you are brought up on NFL , NBA and MLB . we have that many sports , we have to surf the tv . I`m lucky now , my new Kayo sports package , I can split the screen to watch 2 sports , 3 or 4 sports . if I have a night where there is more than 4 sports I turn the laptop on , and I can do the same . so I can watch 8 sports at the same time. we are bloody crazy mob with our sports .:cool: I pay $25 au a month and I can watch 2 screens at the same time . the amount of sport I watch , great value .:cool:

That sounds awesome. Wish I had something like that. I also really miss having Picture in Picture mode on my TV. Shame that all the manufacturers did away with it to cut costs. When I got my first LCD, I used PiP all the time for playing video games and watching TV at the same time, but my last 2 TVs haven’t had it.

Last edited:

Jeff Strong

Staff member
Feb 19, 2012
I just thought I would share this Top Ten Plays from the British Basketball League with you guys.
I recently started going to the London City Royals home games, (in Crystal Palace, so near to me) and I've really been enjoying it.
The Royals are through to the finals this Sunday, and I have tickets!
It'll be on the BBC website/Red Button for those of you in the UK

https://youtu.be/gPVhqTj7bEE

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk

Nice, man, thanks for sharing, and have a blast at the game!

wolfson

May 24, 2013
That sounds awesome. Wish I had something like that. I also really miss having Picture in Picture mode on my TV. Shame that all the manufacturers did away with it to cut costs. When I got my first LCD, I used PiP all the time for playing video games and watching TV at the same time, but my last 2 TVs haven’t had it.
Jeff it`s great , I think because it`s live sports streaming it fits well . last Friday and Saturday nights , i had 4 different sports going at the same time . you can split them equally or have 1 as the main picture and the other3 down the side of the main one . you can pic which commentary you want . I've only had it for 3 weeks , you could say i`m in heaven . it beats surfing the channels like i was doing before .:cool:

Jeff Strong

Staff member
Feb 19, 2012
Jeff it`s great , I think because it`s live sports streaming it fits well . last Friday and Saturday nights , i had 4 different sports going at the same time . you can split them equally or have 1 as the main picture and the other3 down the side of the main one . you can pic which commentary you want . I've only had it for 3 weeks , you could say i`m in heaven . it beats surfing the channels like i was doing before .:cool:

It truly does sound like you're in sports heaven, my man. :)

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
PiP got eliminated because noone was using it anymore due to how signals are now coming into the house.

It used to be you could just split the cable and feed it into the two inputs. With satellite and DVRs, it all has to run through a box first and then gets output via HDMI, of which there's typically only one output. Now I have Dish Network, and they actually have PiP built into the system since it can handle 6 channels at the same time for recording. So dig around in those menus of your decoder box, you too might have PiP hiding somewhere in there.

Jeff Strong

Staff member
Feb 19, 2012
Makes sense. Yeah, it used to only work if one of the inputs was coax, so what I did was ran two outputs from my directTV box: one HDMI and one coax so I had HD when I wanted TV only, and then the coax input for PiP when I was playing video games on another HDMI input.

I was curious about why it disappeared a while back and read an article a few years ago about how the hardware was too expensive for PiP that could handle 2 HMDI outputs at once, and like you said, not many used it anyway, so the TV manufacturers figured why spend money developing it further, or adding it at all. But yeah, I could see why it wouldn’t get used as much today since a lot of people run everything through a surround sound receiver anyways. I’d still use it though, at least on one of my TVs.

These days I just use Hulu/Netflix that’s built-in to my TV and ditched cable/satellite last year. Only drawback is no live sports. MLB.tv for the Cubs is the only one I’m willing to dish out cash for at this point, but that might change if the Bears are good again this year.

Last edited:

wolfson

May 24, 2013
with great sadness we have lost our most loved Prime Minister Bob Hawke .
2 days before our Federal election , I`ll a couple of pots and a sausage for you Bobby .

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.