The Random Thought Thread

wolfson

May 24, 2013
it`s halftime Spain 0 vs South Africa 1, might be an upset on the cards . well done Ash winning the French Open , this youngster gave tennis away and played cricket for a year , came back to tennis and wow she has climbed a big mountain . back to the 2nd half .:cool:

wolfson

May 24, 2013
sure did Kolchak , just got back from visiting my Uncle . a bit more sleep , another big night in sport , not as big as last night . for me great news , the Aussie girls kick off 8-30 pm tonight . a great time for me , then watch Raffa go for 12 titles at the French Open .:cool:

wolfson

May 24, 2013
bloody hell , another big night . Australia vs India in cricket , skipping the tennis men`s Final . 4 football matches in a row women , Australia vs Italy , Brazil vs Jamaica , England vs Scotland , then the men`s Euro Final Holland vs Portugal .:cool:

wolfson

May 24, 2013
worst performance from our girls I`ve seen . they got rid of the coach 5 months out of the World Cup , the new coach changed the formation of our defence . if we had played a higher ranked side we could`ve been hit for six . well done Italy . and I`m watching the cricket and India is hitting us for sixes . not a good night for us Aussies . the cricket is only half way through , you never know .:cool:

wolfson

May 24, 2013
Don’t think I’ve ever watched any cricket. Not something we really see here in the US.
it`s good Kolchak , normally Test matches are over 5 days , but in the World Cup it`s a one day game 50 overs each . each over is 6 balls . a lot of slogging .:cool:

Kolchak357

Senior Pigeon
May 31, 2012
Cool vid but seems a bit confusing. Balls hit backwards still count? What is the ball made of? I see everyone catching bare handed, but the ball looks hard. How do the pitchers not get killed (seem very close to the batter)?
Think I’d have to learn the rules a bit to really enjoy this sport.

wolfson

May 24, 2013
Might want to look away from the cricket, Wolfy. Getting pretty ugly for the Aussies now.

Sent from my SM-T710 using Tapatalk
Eldar , yep bad night in cricket and football , good news Danny got 4th in F1 , England vs Scotland was good , but the Brazil vs Jamaica match was great , and the veteran Christiane scored a hattrick .:cool: just watching Holland vs Portugal in the mens Final .

wolfson

May 24, 2013
Cool vid but seems a bit confusing. Balls hit backwards still count? What is the ball made of? I see everyone catching bare handed, but the ball looks hard. How do the pitchers not get killed (seem very close to the batter)?
Think I’d have to learn the rules a bit to really enjoy this sport.
Kolchak the ball is rock hard , a couple of years ago young Phil Hughes died from being hit by the ball . you can hit the ball in any direction , if you hit the ball over the fence line on the full it`s 6 runs , bounce into the fence line it`s 4 runs , and you can run between wickets for runs as well . we have 2 umpires who control everything on the field and the video boys upstairs to confirm anything the umpires come up with .:cool:

wolfson

May 24, 2013
Kolchak sorry I forgot , the cricket ball is made of cork with string tightly wrapped around it and then encased in leather with a sewn raised seam so you can swing and spin the ball . :cool:

Kolchak357

Senior Pigeon
May 31, 2012
Thanks for the explanation Wolfy. Wonder why cricket never caught on over here? Too close to baseball maybe? Saw a cricket paddle hanging in a sports bar once. That’s about as close as I’ve come to cricket.

EldarOfSuburbia

Feb 8, 2014
Thanks for the explanation Wolfy. Wonder why cricket never caught on over here? Too close to baseball maybe? Saw a cricket paddle hanging in a sports bar once. That’s about as close as I’ve come to cricket.
Bat. It's a bat. ;)

Cricket was popular in the early 19th century - the first ever international game was played between the USA and Canada! Then baseball took over.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Kolchak357

Senior Pigeon
May 31, 2012
Bat. It's a bat. ;)

Cricket was popular in the early 19th century - the first ever international game was played between the USA and Canada! Then baseball took over.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Lol, sorry, it looks a bit like a fraternity paddle.
So we can blame baseball. Thanks Eldar

Members online

Members online

Latest posts

Latest posts