The Random Thought Thread

Naildriver74

Aug 2, 2013
Right. I live out in the middle of 700 acres but I'm not all that country. I just like being where I can be left alone and not be able to bother anyone. I don't even listen to country music. Southern rock is as close as I get.

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
Been reading all sorts about Robin Williams, especially now that the discussion has turned to why someone commits suicide.

In my gut, there are two types that choose suicide. There are those that have a romantic view of it, the "I'll show them" types. Those are the one's I'd label as being selfish in taking their lives. The other type is the depths of despair depressed, where the mind has taken them to such a dark place that they can't see the light that leads them out. Now I'm sure there are many other types out there, I'm not remotely qualified to really have an opinion on the subject.

What I do know, is that suicide bothers me. I'm sure it has to do with my inability to understand getting to that state of mind. I've never been a depressed person. I have an easier time understanding a tragic death, or a terminal illness. I can attach blame to those. With suicide, I can only seem to attach blame to the person that I'm feeling the loss of. And that's not how I want to remember them. I don't want my last impression to be bad. It's hard for me to shake though.

I can't think about Nirvana without also thinking of Kurt putting a shotgun in his mouth. I can't watch a Tony Scott film now without mentally seeing him jump off the bridge (and I've worked right by that very bridge many times). And now, a beloved comic hero to me, will always have a tainted visual image to accompany him.

By the way, I got the chance to work with Robin. He was everything I expected and more. Hands down one of the best experiences I've ever had with an actor. He treated us crew members like friends. He talked with us and tried to make us laugh at every moment. I tried to repay the favor by bringing some Mork & Mindy trading cards to set. I had them since I was a little kid, and put in a card sleeve to bring show him. He got all excited and looked at them. Then, he asked ME if he could sign one. I had no intention of asking, I just wanted to be the one to make him smile. So yeah, of course he could. That's the memory I want to live with, to override the negative one. It's gonna be a struggle.

560048_377156635654527_988007870_n.jpg

That's me on the far left with the rest of the camera crew on the set of "Face of Love".

Attachments

• 560048_377156635654527_988007870_n.jpg
    560048_377156635654527_988007870_n.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 3

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
Here's another from the set...(photographer Dale Robinette took this and the other)

521485_377158285654362_101137525_n.jpg

And this is the trading card Robin signed...

10574392_715230541847133_5599699614493803882_n.jpg

Heretic

Jun 4, 2012
i getcha syt its onky natural insrinct to overide that instinct for self oreservation is no place any stable personnshould know lol.

a great guy desoite all around him felt the need to end his life, mourn and pitty him but try and remeber the great things, very few people made gnerarions laugh.

shame at that moment someone didnt make him giggle.

to laugh and make ithers laugh it was his gift

EldarOfSuburbia

Feb 8, 2014
Odd thing. I looked through the list of movies Robin Williams has been in, and I've only ever seen one of them start-to-finish. That was Insomnia (2002), which I went to see to pass some time on time in New York when I was waiting to head back to the airport. I had no idea Robin Williams was in it, it just happened to be the movie that was playing at the theater closest to my hotel that was on at the most convenient time. Otherwise I wouldn't have ever seen the movie, or had any inclination to see it. I think I saw the very end of Mrs Doubtfire, once. And... that's it.

TV-wise, I saw a bunch of episodes of Mork & Mindy, re-runs in the mid/late '90s, but that was being shown early Saturday mornings and frankly at that time I was living on my own in London and was usually suffering the effects of the previous Friday night. Just put anything on TV to pass the time before Grandstand came on and Football Focus and all that.

Yet I was aware of him as a cultural icon, his place in the Hollywood pantheon... just never inclined to go see anything he was ever in.

I guess that explains my reaction when my wife ran up the stairs to tell me he'd died - I was all "oh, okay". And she seemed kind of surprised that that was how I'd reacted.

night

May 18, 2012
Good Morning Vietnam is one of my fav Williams movies, great balance between fun and serious roleplaying. Such a pity he took his life. Wonderful actor.

brakel

Apr 27, 2012
There's just no making sense of suicide by people with mental illness. It's like asking why does the cancer want to kill people. A friend of mine is bipolar and when he was spiraling down the first time before he was diagnosed he just didn't make any sense. Fortunately before he hit the bottom his family was able to get him help and he's been doing well for over twenty years now. I read the diary of someone in my extended family who suffered from depression and did kill himself. The logic in his writing just wasn't there. He was a genius amung geniuses so it was written well but how he felt and why that meant he was going to kill himself just didn't make any sense. He and I were so much alike except that I didn't get the depression gene or whatever it is. His death still haunts me 13 years later. We all knew that he was having problems. He went to psychiatrists and psychologists but they didn't help him. If only he had lived long enough to find something that would help. He hanged himself from a tree. He did it in a tree he knew that his dad would see in the morning because he thought his dad would be best able to handle it. But he couldn't get him down by himself and had to get his wife to help. I have a recurring nightmare that I'm in the woods where he hanged himself on the night that he did it. Sometimes it's foggy and sometimes it's rainy but every time I can't keep up with him. Every time when I finally find him he's dead.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Latest posts