The Random Thought Thread

Jeff Strong

Staff member
Feb 19, 2012
Saying someone's actions seem shady is kind of judging them on a personal level.

All this talk of King of Kong makes me want to rewatch it though. Caught it on TV ages ago. I remember it was out around the same time as Special When Lit and The Future of Pinball. Those were good too, especially Special When Lit.

Not necessarily. What I meant is it's possible he's a nice guy in every day life, yet cheats when it comes to competing in video games. My comment about him being a slimeball only applied to the latter. I'm not gonna comment on his private/personal life since I know nothing about it. There were a lot of baseball players who cheated by taking steroids, but were still extremely nice guys off the field. Maybe that's the case with Billy too. Who knows, but I don't and therefore I won't judge him "off the field", if you follow what I'm saying.

Last edited:

Kolchak357

Senior Pigeon
May 31, 2012
Don't really doubt many of the stories I've heard about him, but I actually met Billy Mitchell once at the Pinball Showdown in Denver 2 years back. My son was 6 at the time and loves going with me to the expo every year. However, he's on the autism spectrum, though high functioning, but loud, busy rooms can work him up over time. He got a little bit out of control while we were playing a game in the main room, so I carried him out into an empty side hall so he could settle down and relax for awhile. He was pretty worked up and I was just talking with him when Billy Mitchell came out of the door we were in front of in the hall. He seemed genuinely concerned at how upset my son was and took the time to sit down with me and talk to him as well. He found out my son was a Pac-Man fan and talked with him for a bit about that, even giving him a Pac-Man lanyard that he had on him. Honestly I didn't even recognize him right away, and he didn't introduce himself, he just seemed to look a bit familiar, and it took me awhile to figure out why.

Obviously this has nothing to do with whether or not his high scores are legit or not, but just thought I'd share the one positive encounter I had with him as an aside. My son still has the lanyard, and it's been something he's been fond of ever since.

Very nice story. Thanks for sharing that. I’ve heard other stories of him being very cool in person. King of Kong uses him as the villain of the movie. Made for a fun film, even though it might not give us a true picture of the people in it.

Heretic

Jun 4, 2012
Personally id say he can be the douche hes made out to be but hes not cruel, and possibly on the spectrum himself, hes gota sense of kim kardasian abouthim but he can as shown show decency aswell, couldntgive a damn about the scores, overall shady is agood descrption reguardless of motivation

Jeff Strong

Staff member
Feb 19, 2012
I don't, no. It's irrelevant.

Lol...ok man. It's possible for someone to behave differently in a competitive scene and the rest of their personal life. Just trying to give him the benefit of the doubt. That's all i'm saying.

Anyways...moving on.

Last edited:

Kolchak357

Senior Pigeon
May 31, 2012
Im more of a Judas Priest kinda guy, but dang that new Stern Iron Maiden PiN looks fantastic. And that’s just the pro model. Wow!

Citizen

Oct 5, 2017
Who knows, with AC/DC, Metallica and Iron Maiden down, the next could be Priest. Or Megadeth.

I enjoy these hard rock and metal pins. I generally listen more to 60s to mid 70s hard rock and prog rock, but I grew up listening to this stuff and still enjoy it. Makes me feel nostalgic, reminds me of driving in the car with my dad. Plus they've just been really good as pins.

I'm glad Stern has been pushing this theme. Not to mention Spooky.

Now if only we could get Metallica in SPA.

Last edited:

Kolchak357

Senior Pigeon
May 31, 2012
I hear The Beatles will be the next music pin from Stern. Other rumored Stern pins include Deadpool, Munsters, and Jurassic World.

Jersey Jack rumored pins are Toy Story and Willie Wonka.

Chicago Gaming rumored to be remaking Monster Bash next. Then in no particular order Big Bang Bar, Theater of Magic, and Cactus Canyon.

Of course these are all just rumors I’ve seen on Pinside or heard on various podcasts. So who really knows?

Kolchak357

Senior Pigeon
May 31, 2012
I know people like to rip the Roger Moore Bond films, but they are pure joy to me. (OK, the last bit of Moonraker is a bit much) Watching For Your Eyes Only on BBC America and loving it. Roger had a great humor about him that I wish the current Bond had a bit more of.

Silverball67

Jan 1, 2015
I hear The Beatles will be the next music pin from Stern. Other rumored Stern pins include Deadpool, Munsters, and Jurassic World.

BEATLES would be a great theme. Another table, I´m waiting for is "THE WHO". Which band fits better to pinball? And, to be honest, the TOMMY Musical Version is not really a WHO-table.

Another idea: a "great-gig in the sky"-table with Jimmy Hendrix, John Entwistle, Brian Jones, Keith Moon, John Lennon, Kurt Cobain, Lemmy, Jim Morrison...:cool:

Last edited:

Citizen

Oct 5, 2017
Banana flippers on that one?

Of course. And a selection of their greatest Hot 100 hits.

Speaking of Bond, we're due for a new Bond pin. One featuring all the movie Bonds would be nice. But I imagine working with Eon for Bond rights these days is probably a nightmare. Not to mention the likenesses.

Though I prefer The Man from U.N.K.L.E., myself.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Latest posts