The Random Thought Thread

workshed

Feb 26, 2015
jack-daniels.jpg

Snorzel

Apr 25, 2014
Boop-Oop-a-Doop! I fell in love with Betty at first sight and my love for her shines bright even after 50 years.

Great Cartoon! Thanks Snorzel

Yeah I love old cartoons. Cuphead is an upcoming video game inspired by classic cartoons. I want to get it when it comes out.

Can anyone suggest some good ones or maybe what seems to have influenced this game?

workshed

Feb 26, 2015
TIL: Canola oil comes from turnip rape.

Soft of. Turnips are Brassica rapa, and vegetable oil is made from the seeds from that plant. Most Canola is actually from Brassica napus which is a hybrid of B. rapa and B. oleracea (the latter of which has been cultivated into cabbage, broccoli, cauliflower, and several other garden veggies.) It is known as rapeseed oil, but usually called Canola (from Canada where much of it is grown, and olea, which is latin for oil, or at least olilve oil which is what the Romans were familiar with) because of the stigma attached to the word rape. The relationships between the various cultivated crucifers is complex and interesting (at least to horticulture nerds like myself.) Google the 'Triangle of U' for more info. Anyone skeptical of GMO crops might want to look into what we have done with the many crucifers we enjoy eating purely through selective breeding and hybridization. Nothing that resembles most of them exists naturally. All this breeding has resulted in the scourge that is the Brussels Sprout though...ick ;)

workshed

Feb 26, 2015
Most of my family think they are great. Even I can almost almost enjoy them if they are super fresh and picked at the right time. They are also one of the few garden veggies that can be picked in the winter months. They produce well as long as you can keep the cutworms and harlequin bugs at bay. I almost enjoy them is the best I can do though. I also apologize for turning this into a gardening thread. Dedpop I rely on you to change the subject to something more fun.

Edit: Ninja'd, already done :)

Last edited:

Members online

Members online