The Random Thought Thread

EldarOfSuburbia

Feb 8, 2014
I'm running through an A-Z of leaders in Civ 6. Each game takes 2-3 nights. Missing baseball tho, would've been the Yankees home opener yesterday. At least I'm not a Liverpool fan!!

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Citizen

Oct 5, 2017
Neat. I hope you enjoy them, wolfson. They're both GTA-style games at their cores, but they both add elements that separate them from other GTA-style games. With Sleeping Dogs it's more melee combat with a system similar to the Batman Arkham games, and with L.A. Noire it's the detective work and interrogations.

Jeff Strong

Staff member
Feb 19, 2012
Nice deals for sure. Sleeping Dogs is really fun. Great story and cool action. Always wanted to try LA Noire, but haven’t gotten around to it yet.

Enjoy Wolfy and stay healthy, my friend!

Last edited:

wolfson

May 24, 2013
thanks fellas reguarding the games , i think the games might be the one thing that keeps us from going loopy , thinking of you all , stay safe . i`m really worried for all of us , we`ve been lucky here so far. the thing i`m worried for everyone around the world , our front liners , cleaners cooks , nurses and doctors have the proper gear and equipment and beds to keep themselves and everyone safe . i don`t do a lot a lot of praying but as i`m getting chicken feet , i`m praying heaps .:cool:

trash80

Dec 14, 2018
thanks fellas reguarding the games , i think the games might be the one thing that keeps us from going loopy , thinking of you all , stay safe . i`m really worried for all of us , we`ve been lucky here so far. the thing i`m worried for everyone around the world , our front liners , cleaners cooks , nurses and doctors have the proper gear and equipment and beds to keep themselves and everyone safe . i don`t do a lot a lot of praying but as i`m getting chicken feet , i`m praying heaps .:cool:

Agreed with games. And lots of new ones recently released that are quite good. The new Doom Eternal got a couple playthroughs from me over the last week, and now I am deep into Mount and Blade 2 Bannerlord. Lots of bugginess (early access) but they are rapidly patching things. And for those that didn't get Operancia when it came out on the Epic games platform, it is now available on Steam. Speaking of the Epic platform, they still give away games every week, so you may want to visit over there regularly and grab some.

On a different note, The wife and I have decided to watch or re-watch all the James Bond 007 films starting at the beginning (just finished #8 Live and Let Die 1973). The early 60's and 70's sure were a wacky period in time, and in many ways the Connery flicks are even funnier than the Austin Powers satires.

Last edited:

Citizen

Oct 5, 2017
I liked the Dalton ones and On Her Majesty's Secret Service more than the Connery and Moore ones. Haven't seen any Bonds in a while though, not a huge fan of them.

In terms of wackiness I think the Moore era outdoes the Connery era. A View to a Kill and Moonraker are both pretty balls to the wall goofy.

EldarOfSuburbia

Feb 8, 2014
All the canon non-Daniel Craig Bonds are now on Amazon Prime streaming. I have all those on DVD, but they're not in HD and I don't remember the last time I watched anything on physical media! Just fire up the Roku and bang....

As an exercise, I once attempted to figure out my favorite Bond by first listing my favorite from each Bond, and picking from those.

Turns out my top 2 (or 3) are probably Goldfinger, From Russia With Love (they're kind of a tie), then Skyfall. Worst are probably Die Another Day and one of the late-era Moores.

trash80

Dec 14, 2018
All the canon non-Daniel Craig Bonds are now on Amazon Prime streaming. I have all those on DVD, but they're not in HD and I don't remember the last time I watched anything on physical media! Just fire up the Roku and bang....
As an exercise, I once attempted to figure out my favorite Bond by first listing my favorite from each Bond, and picking from those.
Turns out my top 2 (or 3) are probably Goldfinger, From Russia With Love (they're kind of a tie), then Skyfall. Worst are probably Die Another Day and one of the late-era Moores.

My first ever Bond film was For Your Eyes Only in 1981 making teenager me really want a Lotus Esprit as my first car (didn't happen). I then got way into the Victory Games (Avalon Hill) James Bond 007 Table Top RPG when that first came out. All the wacky equipment and gear was a huge draw and a nice alternative to DnD. The early 80's was a golden age for RPGs... I was also a huge fan of Gangbusters (TSR) and Twilight 2000 (GDW). I think I still have some of these in storage, and now may be a great time to see if they still hold up.

wolfson

May 24, 2013
Diamonds are for ever was my first Bond movie . i saw it twice in the same day on a saturday . the city is only a 23 min walk from home , i never wasted 10 c going in and coming back by bus . if my memory serves me right i think it cost 35 c for a kid . great times in those days :cool:

wilbers

Aug 8, 2018
I played LA Noire a few years ago and can add to the recommendations - its a one of a kind game. Just had a look at the Steam page and its a bit pricey on there at the moment, the DLC is worth having as well (included in the complete edition).

I don't have Civ 6 but I do have Civ 5 that I haven't played much, and Deus Ex: Mankind Divided I bought but never got round to playing, so that is coming to the forefront of games to play - if there are 2 things I'm not short of, its games to play, and books (although they are mostly my stock rather than books to read).

EldarOfSuburbia

Feb 8, 2014
First Bond movie I saw in the cinema was A View To Kill - my Nan took me to see it (I was 11, not old enough to ride the bus on my own!), I'm not sure it was her kind of thing! Saw a few on TV before that, of course, they were always a staple around Christmas time on UK TV. I think Moonraker may have been the first one I saw on TV.

The loafer

Oct 28, 2012
Agreed with games. And lots of new ones recently released that are quite good. The new Doom Eternal got a couple playthroughs from me over the last week, and now I am deep into Mount and Blade 2 Bannerlord. Lots of bugginess (early access) but they are rapidly patching things. And for those that didn't get Operancia when it came out on the Epic games platform, it is now available on Steam. Speaking of the Epic platform, they still give away games every week, so you may want to visit over there regularly and grab some.

On a different note, The wife and I have decided to watch or re-watch all the James Bond 007 films starting at the beginning (just finished #8 Live and Let Die 1973). The early 60's and 70's sure were a wacky period in time, and in many ways the Connery flicks are even funnier than the Austin Powers satires.

I think Connery's Bond films invented the "One liner action genre"

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
It's a strange thing, as though I've enjoyed watching Bond films since I was a kid (Roger Moore era, had no clue about Connery until Never Say Never Again) and have seen all of them in theaters since View To A Kill, I rarely revisit any of them. It's probably because I don't think they age very well, especially the tech. I couldn't tell you what the first Bond film was that I saw, as if they came on the TV my dad would watch. I saw many of the stunt sequences from the various films without having watched the entire movie it came from. On top of that, back in the day it was common practice to lift entire sequences of stunts out of one movie and place it into another, just without the hero closeups. So many Bond sequences I saw in non Bond films or TV!

So yeah, do I own True Lies? Of course. The first 3 Bourne films? Yep. All the Mission Impossibles? No doubt. A single Bond film? Nope. I've really liked the Daniel Craig movies (other than Quantum which is nothing but shakeycam in response to the popularity of Bourne films) and might buy just those as a collection when it's all finished with the new one though.

Citizen

Oct 5, 2017
All this Bond talk makes me want to watch some Man from U.N.K.L.E., the best of the classic spy TV series. Followed by Wild Wild West.

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
Wait, why do you think True Lies is terrible? Aside from stereotypes or how creepy the Jamie Lee Curtis dancing viewed through today’s social norms. Because the action sequences are top notch.

EldarOfSuburbia

Feb 8, 2014
It's based on a French film called La Totale. Once you've seen that (which I randomly saw on French TV once) you realize how much better the remake is.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.