The Random Thought Thread

Jeff Strong

Staff member
Feb 19, 2012
[MENTION=3]Jeff Strong[/MENTION]

Did you see that they released a Double Dragon/Kunio-Kun bundle?

They went with the NES Double Dragons which sucks BUT it has 15 Kunio games (including River City Ransom), 11 of which have never previously been officially released outside of Japan. It's got a mix of the beat 'em ups and the sports titles.

Hell yeah. I saw Touch Arcade did a writeup on this when it released (their daily Switch roundups are pretty well done). Insta add to my wishlist. Sounds like they were able to eliminate the NES graphics flicker and smooth out a few other things as well. Really looking forward to checking out those 11 Japanese releases. Did you scoop it up?

P.S. I like the NES version of Double Dragon 1 since it added the RPG elements with the leveling system and the music is top notch. Overall, I even prefer it over the arcade version. The Genesis version was pretty awesome graphically, but the AI was weird from what I remember. However, since we already had the NES version on switch, it would’ve been cool to see another.

Last edited:

Citizen

Oct 5, 2017
I haven't picked it up yet, but I'm going to. It flew under my radar for two months, haven't been keeping up with stuff lately as much as I used to. Figured you probably already knew about it but I wanted to make sure since I remembered you said DD and RCR are among your favorites.

Agreed it would have been cool to see the Genesis version of DD too. Switch also has the arcade version in the Arcade Archives series. Master System and Genesis versions of games fall to the wayside far too often.

I'm looking forward to trying out the upgraded versions they included for some of the games in addition to the Japanese ones. At the moment I'm playing Langrisser I & II and then maybe after that I'll pick it up.

Last edited:

ZREXMike2

Oct 22, 2018
Terminator Dark Fate - very good, more of a return to the old storyline of the first 2 movies than the last 2. cool special effects. :)

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
Terminator Dark Fate - very good, more of a return to the old storyline of the first 2 movies than the last 2. cool special effects. :)

I'm more than happy to ignore T3 and Genisys, I actually enjoyed Salvation. Dark Fate is serviceable, but unfortunately I don't think it added any new ideas, and none of the big action sequences stuck with me. Arnold seemed lost, Linda was great. James Cameron is my favorite filmmaker, I thought Tim Miller was a good choice for director, but ultimately I came away disappointed, much like I did with this last Predator movie.

wolfson

May 24, 2013
i`m just watching on the US ABC live stream NJPRF great job everyone , just watching Charlie Puth sing the Boss`s Growing Up , blown away by how many artist come from New Jersey , all my love !!!:cool:

wolfson

May 24, 2013
wow my fav Tom Waits song Jersey Girl , the Boss always does a good job with it , you close your eyes and he takes you there :cool:

ZREXMike2

Oct 22, 2018
The Hunt - pretty good, Betty Gilpin was great. Hillary Swank was good too, tho she did not have a big part. Strange movie. Enjoyed it very much. :)

Dust Devil, even more strange, was entertaining.

trash80

Dec 14, 2018
...even more strange, was entertaining.

Some strange movies I have recently viewed.

Swallow - https://www.imdb.com/title/tt8372298/
Vivarium - https://www.imdb.com/title/tt8368406/

And an older one that typically is in my top 10 "gateway to strange" films list. Rubber - https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1612774/

Oh, and I did also watch Gretel & Hansel - https://www.imdb.com/title/tt9086228/ which I can't really recommend. It had some interesting elements, but overall an ultimately tedious way to spend 90 minutes.

Jeff Strong

Staff member
Feb 19, 2012
I haven't picked it up yet, but I'm going to. It flew under my radar for two months, haven't been keeping up with stuff lately as much as I used to. Figured you probably already knew about it but I wanted to make sure since I remembered you said DD and RCR are among your favorites.

Agreed it would have been cool to see the Genesis version of DD too. Switch also has the arcade version in the Arcade Archives series. Master System and Genesis versions of games fall to the wayside far too often.

I'm looking forward to trying out the upgraded versions they included for some of the games in addition to the Japanese ones. At the moment I'm playing Langrisser I & II and then maybe after that I'll pick it up.

Absolutely a huge fan of DD and RCR. Really appreciate the heads up as a reminder I need to get this.

Having fun with Langrisser? I’ve never played, but heard good things.

Jeff Strong

Staff member
Feb 19, 2012
So who’s going to be the one to play all the Bond video games from start to finish? Beyond the legendary Goldeneye which I played the snot out of back in its heyday, there were some solid titles during the Gamecube era as well, though I’ve only played bits and pieces of those.

Jeff Strong

Staff member
Feb 19, 2012
Of course you have to start with this smash from ‘83:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_Bond_007_(1983_video_game)

The screenshot kills me, heh:

James_Bond_007_1983_Screenshot.png

Last edited:

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
We would rotate each get together for who got to pick the movies, always a double feature. What some people never understood was the concept of a movie being so bad it becomes good. A bad movie just gets boring after a half hour and the enthusiasm in the room falls off a cliff. My three best picks were...

Torque - motorcycle version of Fast & Furious that had us howling with laughter. Every moment is completely over the top, right down to how beer bottles are set down.
Sheena - a stupefyingy dumb movie, made for kids, that features the longest bit of frontal nudity I've ever seen in a PG movie. Like 30 seconds worth.
Megaforce - Had Needham's magnum opus. A movie that is so unintentionally gay, so poorly thought out, and laughably terrible in all the best ways.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Latest posts