Request Activate Ball Saver (Free Ride) option on Twilight Zone

jaredmorgs

Staff member
May 8, 2012
Hi all

I've been doing some testing on Android for Twilight Zone, and discussion came up about the lack of ball saver. While some members thought it was not possible to set a ball-saver past ball one on the 9.x ROMs, my research determined it actually is:

This post outlines the Ball save feature on v9.x ROMs and later:

http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/top...l-save-feature

So it is possible, and can be activated for an arbitrary amount of time for multiple balls.

The caveat is that Farsight may not have been able to activate this mode due to the Bally approval process (I'm assuming that is why it wasn't activated).

A Farsight response about why ball saver was not activated in the ROM for Twilight Zone would be appreciated.

And if there are no licensing or approval barriers preventing this being activated, then please set ball saver to "on" in the Game Adjustments menu. I'll let FS work out how many balls should be savable, and for how long the saver should be activated.

I'm sure those users who purchased Pro Mode could test out whether this feature is present by following the instructions in the linked post. I seem to remember that FS used a v9.x ROM for TZ, so this feature should be configurable.

Sean DonCarlos

Staff member
Mar 17, 2012
The ball saver is off by default even in the V9.x ROMs, so I think it should be off by default in the TPA version. (I also think that rubber bar in the bumper area needs to come out, as that too was not installed by default on late-model production tables, but that's another issue.)

jaredmorgs

Staff member
May 8, 2012
The ball saver is off by default even in the V9.x ROMs, so I think it should be off by default in the TPA version. (I also think that rubber bar in the bumper area needs to come out, as that too was not installed by default on late-model production tables, but that's another issue.)

Yep, if the ROM setup is Factory across all other tables (that is, all default values are used on all ROM settings), then Twilight Zone should be no exception.

And while this is not on-topic, I do agree with you about the pop-bumper "turbo drain prevention" feature.

I think having that feature installed allowed me to do something physically impossible on the game. It allowed me to make a failed Camera/Hitchhiker shot into the pop bumpers, and have the ball careen up into the Dead End award.

Sean DonCarlos

Staff member
Mar 17, 2012
And while this is not on-topic, I do agree with you about the pop-bumper "turbo drain prevention" feature.

I think having that feature installed allowed me to do something physically impossible on the game. It allowed me to make a failed Camera/Hitchhiker shot into the pop bumpers, and have the ball careen up into the Dead End award.
That is not impossible, but it is exceedingly rare. I've had it happen twice in nearly a thousand games on a real TZ.

According to Kevin Martin at PAPA, a freshly cleaned table set up with a shallow pitch makes it more likely to happen.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.