Thoughts on table depth and Atlantis FINALLY!

smooverr

Oct 28, 2012
So initially this was one of my least played tables. Mostly because I just despise the theme which is usually a big factor for me on table selection. But as I continued to play the other tables I noticed the one thing lacking from most of the ones chosen so far was depth.

I'm not a huge fan of tables like BOP or HD where the only goal is a high score by repeating the same process or shot over and over ad nauseum. So craving a deeper ruleset I decided to revisit RBION.

I was just trying to kill some time and decided I would actively hunt the letters down. Somewhere along the way, the table just "clicked" for me. Everything made perfect sense and I started to figure out some better ways to score (2X before starting a mode worked wonders).

Long story short, I realized I had 2 letters to go sitting in ball 2 with an extra ball in the pocket and went for it guns blazing and FINALLY made it to Atlantis. I gotta say that was by far the most satisfying wizard mode I've reached yet in TPA. I didn't score a ton in it (15M) but I managed to up my overall high score from 66M to around 158M.

Love this table now. There is still so much to it I haven't figured out yet but the depth will keep me coming back!

Bring on "Lost in the Zone"!

EDIT: I had no idea you didn't have to finish each continent to get to Atlantis, and that any seven will do (took me two trips through to get it).

Last edited:

Pop Sergeant

Jul 26, 2012
Congratulations! It was the same exact way for me ... I really didn't care for it, couldn't score very well, and so on ... and then I read the tactics and tips thread (not for the first time either) and one or two others ... and one random game ...click ... it all suddenly made sense! I hit Atlantis for the first time on the very next game and frog frenzy one or two games later ... it's been a month or two and I'm still finding depth of play on this table by sequencing different strategies ... from one of my least liked to one of my favorites when I have an hour to invest in it. Today, for the first time, I completed all continents while x2 was in play ... next goal ... get to Atlantis with x2 in play (don't even know if that is possible or will matter, but I'm damn sure going to try).

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
2x bonus during atlantis is okay, obviously, but not nearly what using it before getting the continent bonus is worth. honestly, just clear the continents as many times as you can cause before you know it you're getting 70 million with the 2x activated. My main thing is trying to stack modes, like doing europe and then getting africa or north america at the same time. If I'm really feeling bold, I'll try and activate the 2x before hitting a continent, but sometimes that's just a recipe for disaster. But here's the thing that makes me like this table so much...there are so many ways of going about increasing your score, and what's good for me might be completely different for you. One thing is for sure though, once I figured out how to back hand the right ramp, I totally was able to control the table. Then I learned how to post pass, and wow. Totally different experience.

smooverr

Oct 28, 2012
Congratulations! It was the same exact way for me ... I really didn't care for it, couldn't score very well, and so on ... and then I read the tactics and tips thread (not for the first time either) and one or two others ... and one random game ...click ... it all suddenly made sense! I hit Atlantis for the first time on the very next game and frog frenzy one or two games later ... it's been a month or two and I'm still finding depth of play on this table by sequencing different strategies ... from one of my least liked to one of my favorites when I have an hour to invest in it. Today, for the first time, I completed all continents while x2 was in play ... next goal ... get to Atlantis with x2 in play (don't even know if that is possible or will matter, but I'm damn sure going to try).

Ahhhhh I didn't have 2x before I collected the bonus. Well remember for next time. Also got to Atlantis the next game after. Seems much less daunting after the first time

Squid

Senior Creature
Mar 22, 2012
This thread... Ha! Been there, done that. :)

It's nice to see that things have clicked for you guys. The table grows on ya, if you give it the chance to.

2X scoring on Atlantis is absolutely possible and highly recommended. For me, the first couple of trips to Atlantis are rather lackluster. When I get to the third one, I'm sittin' on around 100 temple gems. 100 temple gems = 10mil jackpot on Atlantis (20mil with 2X bonus)

smooverr

Oct 28, 2012
This thread... Ha! Been there, done that. :)

It's nice to see that things have clicked for you guys. The table grows on ya, if you give it the chance to.

2X scoring on Atlantis is absolutely possible and highly recommended. For me, the first couple of trips to Atlantis are rather lackluster. When I get to the third one, I'm sittin' on around 100 temple gems. 100 temple gems = 10mil jackpot on Atlantis (20mil with 2X bonus)

Lol so THATS what the gems are for...good to know!

Squid

Senior Creature
Mar 22, 2012
Here's a little wizard goal I now have set for myself. I'm gonna pull a page from Lyman's Lament and try to hit the temple as many times as I can. My goal is to collect at least 100 gems, right from the start of the game, in order to get a healthy start on future trips to Atlantis.

It seems I can still find some more depth on scoring opportunities.

My goal is really 200 gems.

Jeff Strong

Staff member
Feb 19, 2012
I haven't really played this one that much, but I've been diving into it more lately, and I finally made it to Atlantis today, and I had the 2X. Unfortunaly, my wife called while I was on my last ball and I accidentally unpaused while I was on the phone :(

At least I broke 200 million for the first time.

smooverr

Oct 28, 2012
I haven't really played this one that much, but I've been diving into it more lately, and I finally made it to Atlantis today, and I had the 2X. Unfortunaly, my wife called while I was on my last ball and I accidentally unpaused while I was on the phone :(

At least I broke 200 million for the first time.

Oh wives.....

Congrats on getting to Atlantis though! Feels good doesn't it? ;)

Squid

Senior Creature
Mar 22, 2012
Rock on, Mr. Strong! Keep up the good work. You are closer to a billion point game than you realize.
Two more trips through the continents should just about do it.

Jeff Strong

Staff member
Feb 19, 2012
Thanks man! I learned from the best (thank you again for your vids). I hit Atlantis with 2X pretty early tonight (for me) and was one letter away from going again. So close...

Sumez

Nov 19, 2012
Sooooo after over half a year of not touching RBION, hardly touching TPA at all, I decide to give it a whirl, and get to Atlantis for the first time ever, in my first attempt!
And what does the game do? As soon as the mode is over, it loses a ball, it's not visible anywhere, the ball saver can't find it, and despite waiting forever, seeing that dreaded countdown again and again, the "call attendant" just keeps claiming my ball isn't stuck, and the only thing I can do is exit my game... Seriously, damn you FarSight!

Baron Rubik

Mar 21, 2013
Been getting into Ripleys recently for a longer game.
Got to Atlantis quite easily just now, by just practising the continents. Australia, Europe and Asia being the easiest, and didn't know you could recollect continents again for another letter when in the next tour.
Not activated Frog Frenzy yet. That's my last goal on this table.

Would love to see Squid's strategy guide, as I barely touched the temple and haven't a clue about stacking, it's benefits, and all the other good stuff.

Squid

Senior Creature
Mar 22, 2012
I gotcha covered man! I've been playin' cuz I've been filmin'.

The white belt lessons will be inevitable. We'll go from there.

The raw footage is good. I could title it "From 100k to 1bil in 1 hour".

Last edited:

Members online

Members online