Request Pinball Hall of Fame: The Nintendo Collection

CC13

Sep 1, 2012
I wasn't sure if this went in the Wii U forum or Unreleased Table Discussion & Requests, so I put it here for now. Anyway, many of you are probably agog at the thread title, but please hear me out. Nintendo have come up with some brilliant video pins over the years, including classics like Revenge of the Gator, Pokemon Pinball and Metroid Prime Pinball. I think it would be fantastic to have FarSight take on the project of making bright & shiny updates of these tables, complete with standard & wizard goals, the history of each game and online leaderboards for each table. They could even throw in the two Gottlieb Mario tables as unlockables for the most persistent players and maybe (if they feel really ambitious) team up with Zen so they could throw in some Nintendo-exclusive tables of their own. Does this sound like a good idea to any of you guys?

Rafie

Jul 17, 2012
I wasn't sure if this went in the Wii U forum or Unreleased Table Discussion & Requests, so I put it here for now. Anyway, many of you are probably agog at the thread title, but please hear me out. Nintendo have come up with some brilliant video pins over the years, including classics like Revenge of the Gator, Pokemon Pinball and Metroid Prime Pinball. I think it would be fantastic to have FarSight take on the project of making bright & shiny updates of these tables, complete with standard & wizard goals, the history of each game and online leaderboards for each table. They could even throw in the two Gottlieb Mario tables as unlockables for the most persistent players and maybe (if they feel really ambitious) team up with Zen so they could throw in some Nintendo-exclusive tables of their own. Does this sound like a good idea to any of you guys?

Good ideas except for the exclusives part. Exclusives can divide a community. FarSight doesn't seem to take this approach as Zen has. Also teaming up with Zen would more than likely never happen. I can see a lot of upset people if there was a union between them. Not me...but others.

Sean

Jun 13, 2012
I did suggest to Farsight that they port Littlewings tables to consoles (specifically Wii) since Littlewing told me they'd be happy to license when I asked them about same. Farsight's answer was that they have more than enough doing the tables they've already got license for without doing others.

I think it's a great idea though as Metroid Prime Pinball shouldn't be limited to the DS.

CC13

Sep 1, 2012
Good ideas except for the exclusives part. Exclusives can divide a community. FarSight doesn't seem to take this approach as Zen has. Also teaming up with Zen would more than likely never happen. I can see a lot of upset people if there was a union between them. Not me...but others.

I take it you have personal experience with this (assuming you're the same Rafie I see on Zen's forums). I respect your point about dividing the community, but this would be the only way to get Nintendo-themed tables until whenever The Big N pull the plug on their own gaming devices, so I figure that half a loaf is better than none. On FarSight's end, this would almost certainly expedite getting the two Mario tables released in some digital form, as Nintendo guard their IPs quite vigorously (they actually did release their first iOS app recently—an official Pokedex—but I think it best not to try and push them further than they want to go on that front, let alone competing consoles). Either way, though, I'm glad to have gotten such a positive reaction so far—I anticipated a huge backlash against this, since original video pinball tends to draw a lot of heat around here.

Rafie

Jul 17, 2012
I take it you have personal experience with this (assuming you're the same Rafie I see on Zen's forums). I respect your point about dividing the community, but this would be the only way to get Nintendo-themed tables until whenever The Big N pull the plug on their own gaming devices, so I figure that half a loaf is better than none. On FarSight's end, this would almost certainly expedite getting the two Mario tables released in some digital form, as Nintendo guard their IPs quite vigorously (they actually did release their first iOS app recently—an official Pokedex—but I think it best not to try and push them further than they want to go on that front, let alone competing consoles). Either way, though, I'm glad to have gotten such a positive reaction so far—I anticipated a huge backlash against this, since original video pinball tends to draw a lot of heat around here.

Yes sir I am the same Rafie in the Zen forums. We talk about exclusives all the time and as you can see..it draws big attention. Most of the time not in a positive fashion. It really makes me no difference about exclusives really because I own all devices and consoles and TPA and Zen on all of them. So either pinball giant can have exclusives and it wouldn't make a bit of difference to me. However, it sucks for those who just limit themselves to one console, or just can't afford any more consoles outside of their own preference. So please don't take this as a negative gesture. I see what exclusives and timed DLC's do to fans and instead bringing them together, they start wars.

Still...I don't want Nintendo to end up like Sega and be a third party dev. Nintendo is too epic for that. I just would want others who don't have a Nintendo console to take part in a Nintendo themed table. The fans over there at Zen has been begging them for a Nintendo themed table (including me. :eek:) It would even out the exclusives between MS, Sony, and Nintendo, although MS has more exclusives than all of them. If Nintendo doesn't have a problem putting their franchise characters on other consoles, then I'm all for it. They sure as hell seem to be the nicest out of the 3.

CC13

Sep 1, 2012
I did suggest to Farsight that they port Littlewings tables to consoles (specifically Wii) since Littlewing told me they'd be happy to license when I asked them about same. Farsight's answer was that they have more than enough doing the tables they've already got license for without doing others.

I think it's a great idea though as Metroid Prime Pinball shouldn't be limited to the DS.

Well, that's disappointing. Given how many great analog tables they still have to do, though, I can't say that I'm entirely surprised. Hopefully, they can get around to something like this once things settle down with TPA on Wii U. Also, I second getting Metroid Prime Pinball onto other platforms, in any case—failing FarSight stepping in, maybe Silverball Studios could tackle something like this after Pro Pinball...

cheez

Jul 25, 2012
Old thread, but this isn't an appropriate line of discussion. The Pinball Arcade guys have done nothing but real pinball machines and that's what they'll continue doing. What you're asking is a completely different thing, and your request would be more suited to the Nintendo-themed pinball machines that actually exist. There ARE Mario Pinball machines and the like.

Espy

Sep 9, 2013
Most of the Game Boy pinball titles would not work as "Real" tables. They are triple-level playfields, sometimes even more? Would be hard to alter this into the pinball standard today.

Members online

Members online