Ouya

Mark W**a

Banned
Sep 7, 2012
IMO the announcement of Shield makes Ouya now damn near irrelevant. Especially if they can release Shield at under 200$, it's pretty much over before it ever started for Ouya.

Then you have Steam Box and Xbox 8 also coming this year. Does this remind anyone else of 1993/4 when we had 3D0, Jaguar, Phillips CDi, 32X, Saturn, and PlayStation 1 all coming out around the same time?

Jeff Strong

Staff member
Feb 19, 2012
IMO the announcement of Shield makes Ouya now damn near irrelevant. Especially if they can release Shield at under 200$, it's pretty much over before it ever started for Ouya.

Then you have Steam Box and Xbox 8 also coming this year. Does this remind anyone else of 1993/4 when we had 3D0, Jaguar, Phillips CDi, 32X, Saturn, and PlayStation 1 all coming out around the same time?

I remember wanting a Jaguar for a moment there. Glad I dodged that bullet. The ads made it look so damn cool though. It had a good jump on the Saturn and PS1, but still flopped.

Last edited:

grashopper

Sep 14, 2012
I remember wanting a Jaguar for a moment there. Glad I dodged that bullet. The ads made it look so damn cool though. It had a good jump on the Saturn and PS1, but still flopped.
Ha ... I remember playing Need For Speed on the 3DO in Best Buy and thinking that was the coolest thing ever. I dodged a bullet too.

@Pete: It may not connect to the play store but have they said they were going to put effort into a special build for it? Didn't the Mac just get the iPad version ported to it? I can't see them going out of their way if the ouya will run the normal Android version.

Last edited:

Mark W**a

Banned
Sep 7, 2012

Do the math! 64-bits baby!

I actually bought a 32X. And you know what. I enjoyed it. Good ports of Space Harrier, Virtua Fighter 1, Star Wars Arcade, Virtua Racing, NBA Jam TE. I even enjoyed Knuckles Chaotix. It was only 150, could have done a lot worse back then.

A buddy had a 3D0. He paid 700 dollars for it too. Good ports of Samurai Shodown and Super Street Fighter 2. He also had Road Rash, and a couple really bad FMV games that I forget. And a game with a guy on a bicycle, with a scrolling/faux 3D perspective. Or maybe that was another console. It's been a long, long time.

Jeff Strong

Staff member
Feb 19, 2012
Do the math! 64-bits baby!

I actually bought a 32X. And you know what. I enjoyed it. Good ports of Space Harrier, Virtua Fighter 1, Star Wars Arcade, Virtua Racing, NBA Jam TE. I even enjoyed Knuckles Chaotix. It was only 150, could have done a lot worse back then.

A buddy had a 3D0. He paid 700 dollars for it too. Good ports of Samurai Shodown and Super Street Fighter 2. He also had Road Rash, and a couple really bad FMV games that I forget. And a game with a guy on a bicycle, with a scrolling/faux 3D perspective. Or maybe that was another console. It's been a long, long time.

That reminds me, I knew who guy who paid around a grand for this back in ’93:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pioneer_LaserActive

It had all sorts of lame FMV games too, but the best thing I remember about it was playing Lethal Enforcers with the light gun. It seemed incredible at the time since that game was so hot in the arcades.

That era was really the turning point, when we could finally get arcade quality games at home...which in turn, signaled the beginning of the death of arcades. Seemed so cool at the time, but it still makes me sad in retrospect since the arcades were like a second home for me in the 80’s/early 90’s.

Last edited:

Heretic

Jun 4, 2012
Ouya a novel geek product, NOBODY is gonna do more than very minor android ports. Modern version of those plug and play tv games....tv with 126 atari 2600 games....possibly the start of my retro addiction.

The contollers a benfit but then mad catz have anncpund offical android controllers at ces and theres that other nifty vapourware from nvidia.

The spirt of the projects cool but its nothing but a trend heh

spoonman

Apr 20, 2012
These tiny portable, open systems are going to flood the market this year..., Ouya, Gamestick, Nvidia, etc... Farsight already has enough trouble trying to keep up with the ports they are currently supporting. I really hope they don't support more!

Sumez

Nov 19, 2012
It's not another port, when they are Android based. At best it will result in FarSight giving more attention to the Android port.

Timelord

Oct 29, 2012

Ha ... I remember playing Need For Speed on the 3DO in Best Buy and thinking that was the coolest thing ever. I dodged a bullet too.

I actually still have and play both machines to this day...

I also have one computer hooked up to my TV with a "Hotrod" Arcade Controller for my M.A.M.E. gaming.

Timelord ...

Last edited:

Jutter

Dec 30, 2012
The current working-title for this project is appearantly PISTON.
Correction. The PISTON will be a device made with cooperation from steam, and noteworthy in and of itself, but steam will still be putting out their own console also. (hey; IGN misunderstood at first also)

Pete

Jul 16, 2012

@Pete: It may not connect to the play store but have they said they were going to put effort into a special build for it? Didn't the Mac just get the iPad version ported to it? I can't see them going out of their way if the ouya will run the normal Android version.

yes you can hack the firmware on the ouya to think it is just a normal android device and access the google play store and it will work, however doing this makes you lose access to the ouya store. The issue here is that Google has decided it doesn't like the Ouya because they claim it supports software piracy and have forbidden Ouya to use their market on it. The funny part is the android market itself has many emulators on it already... maybe google just see's the existence of a 2nd market on a device as competition and wants to force it's fan base to stay away from it but doesn't want to just tell the truth about why.

Last edited:

Pete

Jul 16, 2012
It's not another port, when they are Android based. At best it will result in FarSight giving more attention to the Android port.

I seriously hope you are wrong about this. directly porting the android version to the ouya would definitely NOT take advantage of the ouya's hardware. Bear in mind the android (google play) version does not take advantage of phones/tablets with tegra 3 and instead is made to have maximum compatibility with many different android devices to keep everyone happy and make sure it works. On ouya they don't have to worry about supporting different devices and can crank the specs to the best possible configuration that will work on it.

Sumez

Nov 19, 2012
Changing game settings to make use of the stronger hardware is NOT the same as making a port, it's not even "porting it directly". I think we agree, but you're just misunderstanding the actual meaning of the term "port" in a system development sense. :)

superballs

Apr 12, 2012
Ahh, the 3DO, and the best version of Need For Speed ever. Road Rash. Sigh, was a shame the M2 never saw the light of day.
The true bullet to dodge would have been the panasonic CD-i. Now that was a flaming pile of Turd.

I remember the 32X as well with Virtua Racing and Fighter. Knuckles Chaotix was ok (not the pile of turd the reviews made it out to be but the elastic band was quite irritating), and 36 Great Holes featuring Fred Couples (what? i can save replays?).

From the time just before the Genesis Launched (TG-16 era along with NeoGeo) until the console wars stabalized and we were only left essentially with the N64 and PS1 was a very exciting time to be a gamer, the possibilities seemed endless....not to mention that those newfangled 3D accelerator cards were starting to come into play in the PC world.

Pete

Jul 16, 2012
Yeah im not really sure of the process ha, I'd just prefer if instead of trying to beef up the android version they worked with the most raw version (pc?) and limited that to work on it, this way we get the best possible pinball arcade ouya can run and not just an near exact copy of the android one.

Heretic

Jun 4, 2012
ouya despite going viral is an extremely niche product imo, so the work time an effort itd take to improve the andorid port just isnt worth it.

heyyy if im wrong sure i could pick one up.

a niche proudct on a niche product more than minor enhancments is a pipe dream

Pete

Jul 16, 2012
years ago I bought a gp2x, it was a handheld device that played emulators and homebrew and it had a very awesome community of people making original games for it. I used to tinker around with making stuff for it and I loved talking to other programmers about what can be done and how to improve things. Those were really fun times and it seemed there was always something fresh to check out. Then a bunch of years went by and the gp2x community faded out. Ouya seems like the closest thing to getting those awesome independent programming times rolling again. And although the ouya appeals to a certain niche of people, I love that niche of people. It's not a system for hardcore gamers it's a system for independent programmers and tech nerds to show off what they can make and have fun doing it. and that's why the Ouya kicks ass.

Your not going to see an unknown person's home made games on xbox live or PSN. it cost way to much money to port your games on those and you have to buy super expensive software from Microsoft or sony to even consider it. Sure you can do the xbox independent section... if you completely code it with their software to meet the requirement to do so. NONE of the other android systems being announced are about this, they will just have the normal google play store and nothing else. When it comes right down to it Ouya is providing a place for us home programmers to share our art with kindred spirits. No other console is giving you that. So I say I don't care if the ouya sells only a half a million systems vs the multiple 10's of millions the other consoles sell, it's going to be fun good times for that niche of programmers and the community it's already started.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.