Ouya

Heretic

Jun 4, 2012
Im not 100 precent but they mjst own certain copright to the hardware? Lets face it an nes for a dollar isnt gonna inspire people to use legal roms, myself ive no objection but this is asking for trouble i think

jm9843

Nov 8, 2012
Unfortunately they did not overclock it like we were hoping =(. All of the profiling I did had the gpu side of things dragging it below 60, which for some 3d games might be fine but for ours we really suffer below 60.

Let's hope that newer firmwares do something about this as we get closer to the retail release of the OUYA on June 4th.

In the meantime, I noticed that you updated the game to v 1.1 on April 9th. Can you comment on what was changed? I hope you don't mind me offering some feedback/constructive criticism:

1. Pressing the OUYA system button steals input. For example, if you press the OUYA system button, no other button presses will register until you press the OUYA system button a second time. I think this has to do with the Android KEYCODE_MENU event. I'm not sure what that maps to in the OUYA Developer Kit (ODK).
2. Pressing "A" button to access the table menu is less than ideal. Overzealous play can accidentally trigger that button (especially since it's the far-right button on the controller), taking the player out of the game. This should be mapped to the OUYA system button which would also be a part of the solution to #1.
3. Any thoughts on making the controls configurable? I'm thinking that the R/L bumper buttons might be better than the R/L trigger buttons for the flippers. There is far less "travel" in the former.
4. Game menu's need some more work to better support the gamepad and be more consistent. For example, in the screenshot here, "Exit Table" is highlighted. Pressing "up" on the d-pad does not take you to "Game Setup" like one would expect. You actually have to press "left" on the d-pad to get there. After selecting "Game Setup", pressing right doesn't take you to "Start" but rather back down to "Exit Table". It's confusing.
5. "O" button is mostly used as confirmation as it should be. But on the table menu it uses "U" for Quit and "A" for Resume. Maybe this was done to help prevent users from accidentally exiting? It's just weird that "O" isn't used at all on that screen. Same thing with the "Are you sure you want to exit the table?" screen.
6. Pressing "A" on the title screen exits the game. It's good that there's a way to exit but two things: there's no indication that's what you're supposed to do to exit and after the game exits, there's a "Unfortunately, Pinball Arcade has stopped" dialog.

And a question for the future: assuming that OUYA doesn't go "tits up", it's most likely going to be cheaply "upgrade-able" when it's refreshed every year or so. Will you upgrade our existing table purchases to 1080p/high-fidelity at no additional cost when the hardware is capable? I want to support OUYA and make it my platform of choice for Pinball Arcade, but I also want to have some assurances before making any purchases.

SJKfXJR.jpg

Last edited:

brakel

Apr 27, 2012
So, when will there be an update? The newest tables are Central Park/Cactus Canyon

Perhaps they are looking to time the first added table pack at the time of the system release? Last I read the general release was delayed until the end of June.

infernogott

Apr 6, 2012
The new update is out!

The lag seems to be a lot less significant. Still no control options, though.

The tables look a lot better, but it still doesn't compare to the 360 Version of course.

The best thing: The Space Carpet is gone! :D

Last edited:

timmyD

Nov 28, 2012
Hey guys, maybe a dumb question...

If we purchase tables on Android, do we get Ouya tables at no cost, or is this a separate "platform" purchase?

I bought every single table on Android :)

I'm looking for this, or wait for PC... Getting the Ouya tables gratis would be a stupid - easy decision for me to go with Ouya...

Thanks

spoonman

Apr 20, 2012
Why would Nintendo go after hardware?

They didn't go after Acer for their $199 laptops that could emulate everything.. or Microsoft when people hacked the Xbox 1 (Err.. Original Xbox) to play emulators..
There is nothing illegal about emulation. It's the roms and BIOS's that cross the line and they are NOT included with the Ouya. So Nintendo has no legal right to do anything here.

brakel

Apr 27, 2012
Hey guys, maybe a dumb question...

If we purchase tables on Android, do we get Ouya tables at no cost, or is this a separate "platform" purchase?

I bought every single table on Android :)

I'm looking for this, or wait for PC... Getting the Ouya tables gratis would be a stupid - easy decision for me to go with Ouya...

Thanks

No. The Ouya doesn't use the Google store. If it did then you would be able to.

lettuce

Mar 17, 2012
So has anyone bought this for the Ouya?? Does it look better than the mobile android devices or the same? Also what table packs are out?

PiN WiZ

Mod & Forum Superstar
Staff member
Feb 22, 2012
So has anyone bought this for the Ouya?? Does it look better than the mobile android devices or the same? Also what table packs are out?

The visual quality is comparable to that of the Nexus 10 and all currently released tables (including The Champion Pub and Whirlwind) are available for purchase.

The OUYA will be getting new tables at the same time the Android, iOS, Kindle Fire and Mac updates are released.

Baron Rubik

Mar 21, 2013
The visual quality is comparable to that of the Nexus 10 and all currently released tables (including The Champion Pub and Whirlwind) are available for purchase.

The OUYA will be getting new tables at the same time the Android, iOS, Kindle Fire and Mac updates are released.

I understood it was comparable to a Nexus 7 but scaled up for the larger screen size.
Is that not the case?

PiN WiZ

Mod & Forum Superstar
Staff member
Feb 22, 2012
I understood it was comparable to a Nexus 7 but scaled up for the larger screen size.
Is that not the case?

Is the Nexus 10 missing the High Texture filter? If so, then you are correct, it would be comparable to the Nexus 7 with the Texture Option set to high.

Baron Rubik

Mar 21, 2013
Is the Nexus 10 missing the High Texture filter? If so, then you are correct, it would be comparable to the Nexus 7 with the Texture Option set to high.

I don't know in truth - I was going off previous comments I think by Ryan and wondered which was true.

StarDust4Ever

Jun 30, 2013
I bought all of the tables for Ouya and I don't regret it one bit. I don't use smartphones and I've given up waiting for the software to release on Wii-U.

Something terrible happened the other night. I was in the process of downloading a crap-ton of free games from the Ouya store I had queued up, then I tried to load The Pinball Arcade and I noticed it needed to update. I sat through the update and bought two new tables, Whirlwind and Pubmaster. I then gamed for a little while and exited to let the background downloads finish. I shut the Ouya down for the night, and when I went to load TPA the following day, it wasn't there. Apparently, it somehow deleted itself and I had to re-download everything. At least all my purchases were still intact, but to my horror, all of my table goals and high scores that I spend weeks achieving were reset!!! :mad:

Back to the drawing board again...

So if you have a queue of games lined up for download, I do not recommend playing TPA while background downloads are in progress. Your game data might get corrupted/deleted, etc...

PS - I must be getting really good at Bride of Pinbot: I beat my old (deleted) highscore and unlocked the Wizard goals after a single play through! :cool:

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.