Ouya

Pete

Jul 16, 2012
Definitly not future pinball, that requires a half decent computer and has so many issues running on allot of pc setups there's no way anyone could port that. Visual pinball could probably be ported if someone really put allot of time into doing that which most likely won't happen. What the ouya will mostly have is allot of original home made games, some games from the already established Mobil publishers (crap like angry birds, and the awesome pinball arcade) and of course emulation of pretty much all old school 2d games.

Pete

Jul 16, 2012
You can play mame and play pinball arcade on it... Its literally a retro Arcade in a tiny box! That's like allot of quarters worth of stuff in there you guys :)

Chris Dunman

Apr 11, 2012
Wasn't the Jaguar two 32 bit machines effectively bolted together?

Anyway the nvidia kit looks pretty cool to me...

Always wanted to get into mame and pinmame but never got them working. Having a PC that precedes Jesus doesn't help I guess....

N

Nik Barbour

Wasn't the Jaguar two 32 bit machines effectively bolted together?

Anyway the nvidia kit looks pretty cool to me...

Always wanted to get into mame and pinmame but never got them working. Having a PC that precedes Jesus doesn't help I guess....

Mame is a doddle for setup.
Virtual pinball not as easy - but far from difficult.
As regards old spec pc's - i used vp on a 6yr old vista laptop until recently. That was 2X 1.7ghz 2gb mem and that worked ok-ish.

For mame easiest route is an app - I have 3 for Android.
Jrioni arcade - predated Mame4all, don't use now.
Mame4all - uses older rev mame roms (i think 0.32) compatible with about 2300 roms
Mame4droid - plays latest roms with bezels - but need a good processor. (I run it on my Nexus 7).

I think these apps are available for ios too, but you'd have to search the app market. The author is Seleuco.

Mame4all plays on my old 1ghz single core droid really well.
Get a big memory card and with TPA on too - its like having the world's best arcade in your pocket. :)

Chris Dunman

Apr 11, 2012
I got the mame IOS app for the 20 seconds it was available Nik.

Gonna have a try this weekend on my PC though. Have a feeling that's on the way of the Dodo as it runs slower than an asthmatic ant with very heavy shopping...... Reckon I need the Janet and John guide to setting it up though cos I'm a bit stoopid.

Failing that a 5 year old could do it.... What's your Jack up to Nik?

Tabe

Apr 12, 2012
pinmame is a pain but mame is a piece of cake. Install the Windows 32 or 64-bit version (MameUI), put some zipped up roms in the right folder, boom, done.

Tabe

N

Nik Barbour

Gonna have a try this weekend on my PC though.

Failing that a 5 year old could do it.... What's your Jack up to Nik?

Sorry mate - I've just put him to bed. You'll have to do it yourself.

Excellent guide for vp installation and links to all the files you need here...
http://www.vpforums.org/index.php?app=tutorials&article=1
I did it myself again last weekend with new laptop, and I'm not very techy.
Best tip I can give is make sure you get the correct rom version for whichever table you are trying to play.
Way I've been doing it (and there is probably a better way) is download table, then run it without a rom file, and the VP prog will give an error saying "rom ver xx - cannot be found" then you know which rom ver to download.
2 other tips for older machines - run with 16bit colours, and try to use full screen rather than windowed.
Not VP'd much lately - but black knight 2000, black knight, and Jacks open are all good.
Have fun mate! :)

Pete

Jul 16, 2012
anyways bootlegging aside... ouya needs it's own "platform specific" section in the forums please. they mentioned having the dev console and being excited about working with it in the new newsletter and it's technically not an android since it doesn't access the android market so it sort of deserves it's own category.

Pete

Jul 16, 2012
also the NVidia shield does looks pretty cool and the hardware is definitely better than ouya having the newest NVidia tegra chip... however since the Shield is just going to be the google play store and isn't an open source platform that can have it's firmware flashed with the greatest of ease into anything you want and it's market is not directly aimed to independent game programmers and people releasing their creations from home free of submission fee's, it's pretty much not the same thing as ouya at all. It's apples and oranges. The google store is really boring.

brakel

Apr 27, 2012
It should probably have its own section since it will have its own version of TPA and its own release dates. However, it IS an Android device just as the Kindle Fire is an Android device. What makes it an Android device is what OS it uses not what store it uses.

rehtroboi40

Oct 20, 2012
Here's some footage of tpa starting at 2:12

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=qAVAL1UPLTU

looks kinda "meh" to me...

Looks like the graphics are on the muddy side-but this is still a very early look. There's still time to improve on it-I just hope it's not buggy. Should that happen (as well as Namco making it's classic properties available), I may pick one up. The $100 price tag (and supposed support of emulators) makes the Ouya look tempting.

Last edited:

jm9843

Nov 8, 2012
I'll have an OUYA this week and am looking forward to trying Pinball Arcade on it. I read on another thread that it would probably be locked at 720p to achieve 60 fps. Can anyone confirm if that is the case and also if high resolution tables are supported?

One of the compelling things about the OUYA, imo, is that they're planning on releasing new versions on an annual cycle. Since the system's case is designed to be opened easily, it could become the first legitimately upgrade-able home console. Meaning that if they keep the size and design of the system board the same, then previous OUYA buyers could pay less (forgoing cost of another case/controller) to swap in a newer 2014 board in place of the old 2013 one. Ideally, a Pinball Arcade update would come at the same time to enable 1080p, etc.

Btw, emulators are definitely happening on OUYA. There's already NES, SNES, and N64 emulators approved and published to the OUYA store. Robert Broglia, for example, has published Snes9x EX and will be bringing all of his emulators to the platform in the next month.

dtown8532

Apr 10, 2012
I'll have an OUYA this week and am looking forward to trying Pinball Arcade on it. I read on another thread that it would probably be locked at 720p to achieve 60 fps. Can anyone confirm if that is the case and also if high resolution tables are supported?

One of the compelling things about the OUYA, imo, is that they're planning on releasing new versions on an annual cycle. Since the system's case is designed to be opened easily, it could become the first legitimately upgrade-able home console. Meaning that if they keep the size and design of the system board the same, then previous OUYA buyers could pay less (forgoing cost of another case/controller) to swap in a newer 2014 board in place of the old 2013 one. Ideally, a Pinball Arcade update would come at the same time to enable 1080p, etc.

Btw, emulators are definitely happening on OUYA. There's already NES, SNES, and N64 emulators approved and published to the OUYA store. Robert Broglia, for example, has published Snes9x EX and will be bringing all of his emulators to the platform in the next month.

http://digitalpinballfans.com/showthread.php/3712-1-12-0-Beta?p=60871#post60871

Post #50

jm9843

Nov 8, 2012

Err, that's the post that I was referring to when I said the following:

I read on another thread that it would probably be locked at 720p to achieve 60 fps.

I said "probably" because that post was from a couple of weeks ago before the OUYA version was complete and Ryan said "hopefully I can optimize it." To my knowledge, there hasn't been any extensive hands on with the final version since the OUYA launched last Thursday, nor has there been further comment from Ryan on specifics concerning the OUYA version.

Ryan Routon

FarSight Employee
Feb 24, 2012
it will have to be locked at 720, ran like mud at 1080. I tried pushing higher textures and models and it wasn't having it so for the time being it will be exactly like what a nexus 7 has. Unfortunately they did not overclock it like we were hoping =(. All of the profiling I did had the gpu side of things dragging it below 60, which for some 3d games might be fine but for ours we really suffer below 60.

Edit: There is a reason most of the games in that video are 2d ;)

Last edited:

Heretic

Jun 4, 2012
they own coprights in the hardware inbeleive mobile ohones and gablets crom the tech giants may not be an issue but a console aimed at cheap end with nintendos games?

opwhoa nelly

Members online

Members online