If you score over 10 billion . . .

pin pin

Jun 5, 2012
The dmd will "flip" and make it appear as if you went back to 1 billion. Don't lose heart however, the table's keeping score. A public service announcement from the guy who stopped chasing the 3rd Final Fronteir with 3 sets of artifacts because he thought his high score was lost.

N

netizen

This is a known issue with the real table too

A major bug with the high score table: it seems that the Q's Continuum list is the only one capable of handling scores over 1OB. For example, a local STTNG has a Grand Champ score of 18 billion. During the game, at the ball 3 display, it reads "Highest Score 18,...." but on the actual table it reads "Grand Champion 8,...." Lord knows why.

http://pinball.org/rules/startrekthenextgeneration.html

Worf

Aug 12, 2012
Same goes for many other tables - they can only display so many digits.

Wish they could drop the least significant digit though - for most tables, it's always zero, so you could stick in another real digit there and put a tiny zero or something. Especially something like Big Shot where it seems the whole units reel is pointless.

9u1d0

Jan 7, 2013
My scores above 10b enter in q continuum, but are not in my pinball arcade high score list. It seems the scores will be posted to the leaderboards, but not in the tables high score list. I scored 16b, lower than my 19b grand champion score, but the 16b just does not show up in my tables high score list :(

Jutter

Dec 30, 2012
Maybe it's not the table, but we the players who have a bug. A perverted hunger for inflated scores. If we could settle for a point per droptarget and five for a rampshot, but nooooooo.....

iguanarama

Dec 20, 2012
Maybe it's not the table, but we the players who have a bug. A perverted hunger for inflated scores. If we could settle for a point per droptarget and five for a rampshot, but nooooooo.....

The table makers kept ramping it up for many years, I remember joking about it with friends and in the online community, where you could hit in one shot what would be a high score on a table only released a few years previously. It got to absurd levels at one point (which table was it where hundreds of millions per shot was the norm?), and then they reset the scoring scale and came down a bit.

iguanarama

Dec 20, 2012
My scores above 10b enter in q continuum, but are not in my pinball arcade high score list. It seems the scores will be posted to the leaderboards, but not in the tables high score list. I scored 16b, lower than my 19b grand champion score, but the 16b just does not show up in my tables high score list :(

I've had the same thing, several scores not show up now. I think they are 10b+ ones? Also, when I got a 10b+ score the other day, it said it was going into the Q Continuum list, but immediately after the game, when the display is in attract mode, you can clearly see a completely unaltered Q Continuum list of default scores.

9u1d0

Jan 7, 2013
I've had the same thing, several scores not show up now. I think they are 10b+ ones? Also, when I got a 10b+ score the other day, it said it was going into the Q Continuum list, but immediately after the game, when the display is in attract mode, you can clearly see a completely unaltered Q Continuum list of default scores.

Afaik it does show up in attract mode right after, but it is lost when you quit the table. Or maybe after restarting, not sure.

Matt McIrvin

Jun 5, 2012
The table makers kept ramping it up for many years, I remember joking about it with friends and in the online community, where you could hit in one shot what would be a high score on a table only released a few years previously. It got to absurd levels at one point (which table was it where hundreds of millions per shot was the norm?), and then they reset the scoring scale and came down a bit.

The scoring in Attack From Mars seems ridiculously inflated to me, even by Nineties pinball standards. But it seems to very a lot from table to table even within that era.

Sean DonCarlos

Staff member
Mar 17, 2012
The scoring in Attack From Mars seems ridiculously inflated to me, even by Nineties pinball standards. But it seems to very a lot from table to table even within that era.
Attack from Mars and Johnny Mnemonic have apparently been played past 1 trillion. About this time, pinball manufacturers chopped a few zeros off, which resulted in the default replay score going from 4,000,000,000 on AFM to 6,000,000 on Scared Stiff.

Score deflation seems to have happened a second time with the new Sterns. On X-Men and Avengers, to manage 20 million is not half bad. (AC/DC is a little different, because of the possibility of playfield 2X or 3X stacked with a high-value song jackpot).

Personally, I prefer scoring in the range of Twilight Zone (the real one) myself. One hundred million is an "average" game, 250M is pretty good, 500M is quite respectable and 1 billion is considered a damned good score.

Matt McIrvin

Jun 5, 2012
Ridiculously exaggerated scores actually work well thematically on AfM, though, because that whole table is about ridiculous exaggeration.

Worf

Aug 12, 2012
The only problem with score inflation is not being able to display all the digits. I mean, couldn't they drop the least significant digit (it's always "0" anyways) so we can see the full score? Heck, they could always put a little "x10" in the corner of the score to indicate that the last digit was dropped.

Even Big Shot is like this... a useless reel.

9u1d0

Jan 7, 2013
The only problem with score inflation is not being able to display all the digits. I mean, couldn't they drop the least significant digit (it's always "0" anyways) so we can see the full score? Heck, they could always put a little "x10" in the corner of the score to indicate that the last digit was dropped.

Even Big Shot is like this... a useless reel.

The problem is not that the digit is not shown, the problem is the highscores are not saved to my personal highscore list, under 'table menu' and than 'high scores'.

Tann

Apr 3, 2013
On my personal highscore list (menu > high scores), only my top score (~24B) is correctly displayed, I don't know why. All my other scores are 9.999.999.990. ?? (unlike tables like BoP or Pin*Bot on which all the highscores are 9.999.990 because of the digit rollover bug)

Last edited:

pezpunk

Jul 29, 2012
The real STTNG has multiple issues with high scores. For one thing, scores over ten billion are well within the realm of possibility, but the score when shown in game doesn't show the ten-billions digit, so players may think their score has reset. the game DOES keep track of the score properly, though. when it displays the Grand Champion score during attract mode, it shows the full, correct score (which on mine is about 22 billion). However, there are other problems: there are four different high score lists -- there's the Grand Champion, the Honor Roll (for players with no buy-ins), Officer's Club (for one or more buy-ins), and Q Continuum (for scores above ten billion, with any number of buy-ins). Unfortunately, scores over 10 billion are ignored completely by the Honor Roll and Officer's Club, and will only register on either the Q Continuum or for Grand Champion.

Members online

Members online