I'm not against older tables, but is this boring?

Day

Jan 9, 2013
I'm with the OP almost all the way here.... if i've given anyone the impression i gave crap about BH / Gorgar / BS then i most sincerely apologise.

However Genie..... playing is indeed as boring as watching paint dry, but those gentle warbling noise, i find those deeply soothing; almost soporiphic.

night, night all ;)

pinballchris

Oct 6, 2012
I'm with the OP almost all the way here.... if i've given anyone the impression i gave crap about BH / Gorgar / BS then i most sincerely apologise.

However Genie..... playing is indeed as boring as watching paint dry, but those gentle warbling noise, i find those deeply soothing; almost soporiphic.

night, night all ;)

Can't forget Black Knight either.

tripleplonq

Dec 3, 2012
I like Genie and similar tables. In fact it's on my personal top 3 at the moment. The only thing that bothers me is that Farsight chose to make 5-ball games the default. It adds nothing to the game since progress is not carried over, but averages the scores and makes the game less addictive and more time consuming.

And nudging on the iPad does not work very well, it would be nice to have a setting for accelerometer sensitivity.

night

May 18, 2012
Is it me or are the physics strange on this table? The ball movement is slow and unnatural. Such a contradition with AFM. Too bad I had to pay for Genie as well, it's a piece of 'bleeb'.

Sean DonCarlos

Staff member
Mar 17, 2012
Is it me or are the physics strange on this table? The ball movement is slow and unnatural. Such a contradition with AFM. Too bad I had to pay for Genie as well, it's a piece of 'bleeb'.
EM and late-70s/early-80s SS tables, particularly Gottliebs and Ballys, are quite a bit slower and floatier than later tables. Genie's physics are pretty accurate, to be honest.

Bass Mummy

Jul 26, 2012
I thought the same thing at first, then I checked out some videos of people playing Genie. The physics are pretty much spot on and true to the original table.

Clawhammer

Nov 1, 2012
EM and late-70s/early-80s SS tables, particularly Gottliebs and Ballys, are quite a bit slower and floatier than later tables. Genie's physics are pretty accurate, to be honest.

I have a Genie on location near me; the physics in TPA are eerily close to the one I play. I think it may be their best recreation yet, physics-wise, although the table itself is not as strong as some of the others.

karl

May 10, 2012
I find Genie a lot of fun and challenging. More tables like this will suit me just fine

PS! I am getting really good at alley pass on this table. Try it and see what good it will do ya :(

xAzatothx

Sep 22, 2012
WTF is going on with the top 2 scores on Genie, unless I'm missing some unknown scoring bug, the scoreboards must have been hacked right?

Sumez

Nov 19, 2012
I tried a Genie last Saturday, and I can confirm that the physics on a real Genie are definitely weird and floaty! :p
Like most older table, the pitch is pretty low, and the table itself is seriously huge. Also with the flippers being rather far apart, it feels like a random table made for the spectacle with tons of elements all over the playfield, rather than a table designed for actual fun gameplay.

I played one game and left. Maybe it's the kind of table that grows on you, but what little I did see of it definitely didn't speak to me.

GhL7RCcZRmxiVqWvDKEbx-s4COBsY5NwjU5CpWQtGjceFffU-koNIvBDJJLWuXoyCM8rvdcKfpM

pinballchris

Oct 6, 2012
I love Gorgar, but this table I think does grow on you. Similar to Big Shot where if you have a great game, you keep coming back for more punishment. Maybe I prefer the older games?

ravager

Jul 20, 2012
I love Gorgar, but this table I think does grow on you. Similar to Big Shot where if you have a great game, you keep coming back for more punishment. Maybe I prefer the older games?

Agree. I fired up a quick game of Genie while drinking coffee the other day. After multiple, "just one more game" episodes, I looked up at my watch and two hours had passed! TPA is a time sink.

Sumez

Nov 19, 2012
That's how Black Hole feels to me. I keep coming back to that table, but I'm not really enjoying it to be honest.

Members online

Members online