Android - Bug Galaxy Note 10.1 / Mali 400 blurry textures

Ryan Routon

FarSight Employee
Feb 24, 2012
oops sorry was thinking of another device ><..>< too many. My S3 is the NA adreno 225 version. No problem :) I try to help and educate where I can. I could have sworn I saw the extension on a Mali but perhaps not. Just to give you some overview, on bootup I query the renderer for all available extensions and if that filter is there I give users the option and default turn it on. We have no in house software solution for this kind of filtering, mostly because it is expensive. I will look into picking a higher mip map if I can, tricky business with performance though.

Asure

Jun 29, 2012
If you need any beta testing for this issue, let me know, i have a Galaxy S2 and Galaxy Note 10.1 with MP400 to test against. (And decent amounts of free time, as i'm currently 'between jobs'.)

Ryan Routon

FarSight Employee
Feb 24, 2012
Our art director has an S2 with the extension, no one here with a note however, but we can use all the help we can get! =) We are at the end of this one but I post builds pretty regularly in this forum.

noneed4me2

Feb 2, 2013
Don't get the North America One X, as it has the lesser Adreno-GPU which i can't find any info online of it having anisotropic filtering.

Yea I noticed the international and European models get the best hardware. The Korean model of the S3 has a quad core cpu, 2gb of system ram, and I believe increased storage options. American's don't pay attention as much to advertised specs for whatever reason I guess. The OneX+ international I'll remember thanks.

George Klepacz

Feb 20, 2012
I was deciding between the note 2 and the HTC 1 x+. Guess this helps to narrow my choices.

I don't know if you plan on upgrading really soon, but you might want to hold out for the next Motorola "X" phone (to see what they have in store). It'll be the first one with Google's hands completely on it since they purchased Motorola. But, you can't go wrong with the HTC, it's a really nice phone. I love my Note 2 even with this graphical bug that I didn't notice until it was pointed out in this thread. (thanks! haha) It does everything so well and is so smooth to use, I love it. I find the stylus very handy when I need to take down a quick note at work. Plus the big screen is awesome to watch videos on. This texture problem is the first time I've seen any sort of negative with this phone. Hopefully we can get things straightened out.

noneed4me2

Feb 2, 2013
If I wait I will check out your suggestion on the Motorola X. I found on amazon the one x plus for 79 with contract and currently i am under no plans . I verified that it is the 64gb tegra version. I could afford to get it outright but I want a warranty. I just got my Asus tf700 from fed ex today looking forward to trying out TPA on a bigger tablet with higher res than my N7. Funny thing is if I get the phone I will have 3 tegra devices while on my PC I typically use ATI GPUs in my machines. Got an I-cade 8 bitty on the way too.

I just got my disability case settled so I'm kinda splurging on android crap right now. Thanks to all for the hardware tips.

superballs

Apr 12, 2012
I don't know if you plan on upgrading really soon, but you might want to hold out for the next Motorola "X" phone (to see what they have in store). It'll be the first one with Google's hands completely on it since they purchased Motorola. But, you can't go wrong with the HTC, it's a really nice phone. I love my Note 2 even with this graphical bug that I didn't notice until it was pointed out in this thread. (thanks! haha) It does everything so well and is so smooth to use, I love it. I find the stylus very handy when I need to take down a quick note at work. Plus the big screen is awesome to watch videos on. This texture problem is the first time I've seen any sort of negative with this phone. Hopefully we can get things straightened out.

Funny how a google search for poor texture filtering on the Note 2 brought me to this thread.

Ryan, If you need any help testing solutions, I have a Note 2 and would love to help.
I can confirm that there is no such issue on the S3 nor on the Nexus 7. And otherwise, TPA plays like a beast on the Note 2.

superballs

Apr 12, 2012
Let me check for lag, i think i recall something a bit off but I dont' play much on my Note2 unless I'm on the go.
It's a possibility that the type of screen might have something to do with that since it's resistive and not capacative like most others...but i'm honestly just pulling that "theory" out of a very unleasant and dark place.

George Klepacz

Feb 20, 2012
The lag I am experiencing is really bad. Maybe I need to redownload? I didn't want to do that until I verified that no one else has this problem. I pay more on my tablet, but I don't bring that to work. I should because breaks and lunches are boring.

superballs

Apr 12, 2012
i would recommend stopping all services and background apps you can in your application manager and see if that makes a difference.

I found that after installing/uninstalling and whatnot a lot on my S3, I got the same issue but after some clearing out I restored that version to it's full glory.

Members online

Members online