Cactus Canyon question?

noneed4me2

Feb 2, 2013
I was looking at the release schedule posted in the latest news section. I really like the theme and remember seeing this pin but don't know if I ever played it. From what I have read the software was incomplete. If so will farsight use the unfinished ROM or rework it somehow? Or am I talking out my ass and don't know crap about what I'm saying?

I really don't care as I would jump at the chance to own this with TPA but it would be nice if they could polish up the rules if necessary.

Sumez

Nov 19, 2012
According to reliable sources (or at least according the people on this forum, who may or may not know what they are talking about), FarSight are, through their contract with Williams/Bally, obliged to use the official production ROM of the table.

Richard B

Apr 7, 2012
It's not unfinished, it's just not optimized. Many machines (and arcade games) would launch with software the designers knew was imperfect, then they'd get feedback on what works and what doesn't, and make changes, releasing a more balanced product. That didn't happen with this one.

epthegeek

Mar 30, 2012
No, it was really released unfinished. Production hours on the game were cut short, due to the shift to pinball 2000.

Clawhammer

Nov 1, 2012
Having played CC, the code really does seem unfinished. It's a shame that's the version TPA has to use, as there is a really neat looking home ROM that was released to update the rules.

epthegeek

Mar 30, 2012
Isn't that just some fan making his own P-ROC code for the table?

Yep. That's just me. Recreating CC with a P-ROC and then extending it. Not something Farsight could really use in their game. Still awesome though, IMHO (but I'm biased). There hasn't been any official further ROM releases with more stuff. Matt Coriale never released any further work on it. There's a rom that got out from wayne's company in austrailia that was going to re-run cactus canyon that adds a match, but that's all it does.

E

noneed4me2

Feb 2, 2013
After reading up more the designer acknowledges the unfinished code and seems willing (if the price is right I assume) to go back and optimize it. Would be awesome to see bionic Bart implemented. I guess it really only lacks a true wizard mode. NGG is sorta like that and I love that pin both real and digital (I know there is a division of strong feelings about NGG but I like it regardless).

epthegeek

Mar 30, 2012
After reading up more the designer acknowledges the unfinished code and seems willing (if the price is right I assume) to go back and optimize it. Would be awesome to see bionic Bart implemented. I guess it really only lacks a true wizard mode. NGG is sorta like that and I love that pin both real and digital (I know there is a division of strong feelings about NGG but I like it regardless).

When wayne wanted to pay him to finish it up, he wanted 40 grand to work on it. And there's still no way to be sure he'd put Bionic Bart in, as the reason it's not there is that he didn't come up with rules he liked for it.

robotronjohn77

Sep 13, 2012
I have played a P-roc'd Cactus Canyon with the "continued" software. Latest code... INCREDIBLE work man... my hats off to you... the drunken multiball is insane.... The new modes are GREAT... makes the game one of the top games of all time. Love the Last Call match feature.... Going back to play it in a few days

noneed4me2

Feb 2, 2013
Its great you guys have the technical know how to mod pins like this. Are you adding a daughter card to the mainbaord with custom code or just a chip on board replacement? I know there are a lot of custom ROMs at vpforums', is this something that can be made into like a home rom for VPMame?

robotronjohn77

Sep 13, 2012
Its great you guys have the technical know how to mod pins like this. Are you adding a daughter card to the mainbaord with custom code or just a chip on board replacement? I know there are a lot of custom ROMs at vpforums', is this something that can be made into like a home rom for VPMame?

Ok when I went to the guy's house who owns the Cactus Canyon I was doing the mod on the sound board in the pinball to convert an unused line out to an input for sound. Here is why:

The Cactus Canyon Continued software runs off a PC. The PC is interfaced with a 3rd party CPU replacement board called the P-Roc via USB. You remove the CPU board in the pinball and install the P-roc in its place. It contains NO CODE, the PC does.The P-Roc doesnt generate sound, the software running off the PC does so I did the mod to run the sound from the PC into the sound system of the pinball..

There is a wiki the guy set up explaining things a little more http://soldmy.org/pin/ccc/index.php?title=Main_Page

noneed4me2

Feb 2, 2013
Than for the info, always cool to add to my own personal knowledge. I remember a seeing a setup your describing on YouTube awhile back I just didn't retain the names. The p-roc is a kinda software translator between the pin's main board and a PC , so it isn't something that could easily be implemented in a home ROM without significant coding in that hips native language.

Still I always have other pins to get ultra complicated rule sets to mess around with. This is why I hope TPA gets TSPP someday as this pin's rule set is hella complicated.

epthegeek

Mar 30, 2012
I have played a P-roc'd Cactus Canyon with the "continued" software. Latest code... INCREDIBLE work man... my hats off to you... the drunken multiball is insane.... The new modes are GREAT... makes the game one of the top games of all time. Love the Last Call match feature.... Going back to play it in a few days

Awesome. Always cool to hear from people who have tried it!

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.